Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 700 gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    If this has been covered before, please excuse the repetition. I am looking for the best Remington 700 gunsmith to blueprint my 700 VSS in .308, bedding, bolt work, etc - the whole package to tweak my rifle. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Are you "tweaking" a factory rifle without installing a new barrel?

If you are I would suggest having the action bedded, the barrel floated, the trigger adjusted to 2 pounds, a new crown and shoot it.

If you are having a new barrel installed, that is the time to work the action. Don't waste it on a factory barrel which would have to be refitted...

Mike Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Spott3r View Post
    Although I have never had any work done by Mike, I think you have to respect his willingness to answer questions and share his wisdom on this forum. Not to mention the great deal of information he has for us to refer to on his website. Mike Bryant has got my vote.

JKM

i didint say you had to use gre tan tooling to have pride in your work, but if you are blue printing a rem action and dont have the right tools for the job you are not going to blue print the action the right way and in fact you could make the action junk, i will reword what i said. if you take pride in your work and have the right tooling then you can get a good job by any smith.

petty stuff

Kregg, i read your previous post and understood the point you were trying to get across. guess the "pride" word is what really tripped up the other fellow. by the way does your record still stand for the longest witnessed pd kill in VHA history?
    guess if one got anally technical really what was being said; is that the gunsmith must be one that pays attention to accuracy and small detail in machining practice. also he must have accurate and well made jigs for tooling. there that should satisfy the technical junkies.
    just another grumpy senior citizen, Greg Moyer

+1

Mike Bryant

yes it still stands as of today as far as i know. thanks for clearing up what i was trying to say.

Guys, thanks for the votes of confidence, but right now I'm pretty well snowed under with this new house construction and my time for rifle work has been pretty limited since we started the house. It would be nice to be able to hire all the work done, but unfortunately finances won't let us do that.

Quote Originally Posted by kregg slack View Post
    yes it still stands as of today as far as i know. thanks for clearing up what i was trying to say.
    Thanks, from just another old cranky senoir citizen.

Jim