Thread: Rem 700 scope mount screws

Rem 700 scope mount screws

Could you please tell me the thread size of the four screws that hold down the scope mounts on a Rem 700.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Cosstick View Post
    Could you please tell me the thread size of the four screws that hold down the scope mounts on a Rem 700.
    Kim
    #6-48

Scope screws

If you are trying to hold on a heavy scope or heavy recoil, most gunsmiths will re-tap to 8-40 and modify the base holes to fit them.

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    If you are trying to hold on a heavy scope or heavy recoil, most gunsmiths will re-tap to 8-40 and modify the base holes to fit them.
    It is interesting that some feel that is required. I have never found the 6 x 48 to be lacking in strength and in 40 years have not seen a failure due to the 6 x 48 thread size.

Larger holes

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Sorensen View Post
    It is interesting that some feel that is required. I have never found the 6 x 48 to be lacking in strength and in 40 years have not seen a failure due to the 6 x 48 thread size.
    Dennis,
    I've been curious about this myself. I notice many tactical/military applications require the larger size which is understandable but I've never heard of one failing in a hunting or shooting application. Maybe some just want the added strength and security that comes with larger holes.
    Chino69

I have the common internet pics of a few rifles that have blown up due to a bore obstruction and one thing that stood out was that most of the receivers split through the scope mount holes. I don't think I want bigger holes in the front ring.

Thanks Guys

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by crb View Post
    I have the common internet pics of a few rifles that have blown up due to a bore obstruction and one thing that stood out was that most of the receivers split through the scope mount holes. I don't think I want bigger holes in the front ring.
    Now there is the best reason yet to leave the screw size alone!

Quote Originally Posted by chino69 View Post
    Dennis,
    I've been curious about this myself. I notice many tactical/military applications require the larger size which is understandable but I've never heard of one failing in a hunting or shooting application. Maybe some just want the added strength and security that comes with larger holes.
    Chino69
    I have seen Tango 51's with a huge aluminum base for attaching a night vision scope in front of the large Leupold scope... all hung with 4 6 x 48 screws... with a different screw at an angle in the base itself that is used to shoulder against the receiver ring as a stop after all the screws are good and tight...