Thread: Twist rate in .223 barrels

Twist rate in .223 barrels

I'm thinking of buying an ar-15 type rifle in .223, they offer two different twist rates a 1-8 and a 1-12. What do you think is the best choice for all round use? I'll probably stay in the 50-70 gr. bullet weight. You hear some saying go 1-8, I'm just not sure!

Many Thanks
    Paul

The 8 twist will shoot the 52/53 grain match bullets just fine. Then if you want, you still have the option of moving up to the 69/75/80 grain bullets.

Faster is better

Go for the 1 in 8"; why limit yourself? The 1 in 12" will stabilize 55 grn. with no problem but once you get to the heavier bullets, you'll want the faster twist rate.
    Chino69

Some guys seem to think that if you've got a fast twist AR bbl., you've got to shoot 69s & heavier to get any accuracy. I don't know where this got started, but it's a load of BS. A good 8-twist bbl. will shoot 52-53gr. match bullets into tiny little groups, yet still give you the option of using the heavier bullets if you want/need them at longer distances.

Smile Fast twist 223

I also believed I could not use 50 to 55 gr. bullets with a 1-7.8 Krieger,(AR-15). Frank White, Compass Lake, assured me they would be fine, and he was right. I now have the option of 50 to 77 gr, bullet weights. Faster is better.

Thanks fellas, I was leaning heavy toward the 1-8, but just wasn't completely sure! Now I know I'll go with the 1-8!

Thank You
    Paul

My Bushmaster 16" Match Barrel is 1/9 and it shoots everything well. I can use a sandbag and make head shots at 100 yards on a IDPA target. That's with an EOTech (no magnification) and WOLF ammo. Too bad it's not a flat top. I would love to try it with handloads, a Leupold on top and a nice light trigger. You should be just fine with the 1/8 barrel.

Enjoy your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Some guys seem to think that if you've got a fast twist AR bbl., you've got to shoot 69s & heavier to get any accuracy. I don't know where this got started, but it's a load of BS. A good 8-twist bbl. will shoot 52-53gr. match bullets into tiny little groups, yet still give you the option of using the heavier bullets if you want/need them at longer distances.
    I bet to differ. Mine doesn't handle 5x gr bullets very well at all compared to 68s and 69s and I have a 1:9"! It will handle them, but not as well as the heavier bullets.

each and every barrel is an individual. some barrels of the exact same twist rate will shoot some bullets, and another wont. best group my 1-9" barrel has ever fired was with 45 gr bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    I bet to differ. Mine doesn't handle 5x gr bullets very well at all compared to 68s and 69s and I have a 1:9"! It will handle them, but not as well as the heavier bullets.
    5X bullet?

50-59gr. X for a generic number as there is everything from 50, 52, 53, 55, etc...

Duh to me

who said old farts can't learn something new!

Lighter bullets in a faster twist puts a real premium on the bullet quality.

The 1:7.5 I have shoots premium bullets of any weight, but more 'standard' fare does not do well below ~60 gr.