Thread: Which action for "custom " rifle?

Which action for "custom " rifle?

Hi Gang:

I am planning to build another rifle and I need your advice concerning shich action to use. I have narrowed my choice down to three actions and they are:

Savage with accutrigger $330.

Remington 700 $370.

Marlin MR-7 $411.

What do you think of these actions? The gun will be a 25-06.

Are there another actions that you may suggest?

TIA,

Franchi

Stiller Predator --- look it up and do the research.

Jim Bordon Alpine!

ML

Find a good older Sako..

I remember buying several in the white actions for $150.00 apiece in the mid 1980s or so. NO, none of those I have not had built into rifles are available. Bought three RH and three LH. Should have bought 20 of each....sigh.

I was just about to post a thread asking a similar question. I was looking at actions listed at 6mmBR.com and saw the "700" style Lawton 7000 action. Does anyone have any experience with this action?

I was thinking of a custom myself and originally was going to use a 700 factory action. But this will be my "once in a lifetime build" - I want a rifle (.223 or possibly .223AI) that will be capable of a high level of shooting precision.

I am planning to build another rifle and I need your advice concerning shich action to use. I have narrowed my choice down to three actions and they are:

Savage with accutrigger $330.

Remington 700 $370.

Marlin MR-7 $411.
    Not sure how many have customized the Marlin? But the Savage or Model 700 is the way I would go.

I agree, look at the predator action. You can build a rifle off of the factory actions but if you are looking for the utmost accuracy then by the time you factor the cost of truing it you could have bought a custom action. If you are set on those three It would be between the savage or remington. I'm personally a remington man, but theres nothing wrong with a savage either.

Smile I agree with ml and boss hoss

if it is a once in a lifetime custom only cry once and go custom all the way. just save longer and you will be all the prouder when showing it to your buddies.
    personally i like bordens alpine (varmint) or montana rifleman (big game) actions for a hunting rifle. But then i like old rust bluing, octagan barrels, and highly figured walnut guns. yes im old school and cold fiberglass and stainless steel chills my heart. just my .02 Greg Moyer

I have been so happy with all the Remington actions I have had custom Rifles built on that I highly recommend them to you for your project.
    Best of luck with the 25/06!
    Hold into the wind
    VarmintGuy

I have gone with a Surgeon one one and a Borden Alpine on another. It really depends on what you want to do with the rifle. I wouldn't recommend a Surgeon on a lightweight mountain rifle.

I too have the typical Remington actions and they have never let me down in factory rigs. However, they won't bring the money in a custom build if you ever decide to sell it.

My question is, where are you finding these prices! Brunos want as much for an action as I can buy a whole rifle locally.

Rocky

Cost of actions

Quote Originally Posted by rocky_lange View Post
    My question is, where are you finding these prices! Brunos want as much for an action as I can buy a whole rifle locally.

Rocky
    Hi Rocky:

The price of the actions are as follows:

The Marlin and the Remington are used rifles.

The Savage action is new.

These are all from my local dealer. He usually charges about $20.00mark up on rifles that he will order for you. He does not charge for transfer fees etc. He is a great person with whom to deal!

I think that I will go with the Savage as my gunsmith claims that the are a very accurate action.

Franchi

Depending on what Savage action your talking about the target actions are nice , but before I would buy a standard Savage action I would look at a Stevens 200, it is exactly the same but dont have the accu-trigger, or the maching done for the accu-trigger. If you building a gun this is not big deal for you more than likeley going to buy a aftermartket trigger anyways.

A few other site to check out is you can buy Savage/ Stevens actions off of this guy send him an email and see what he has. briggs.j-b@comcast.net or call him at 763/420-7163 May save a few bucks.

For more information on Savages check out this site. http://savageshooters.com/index.php