Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tough Kimber mainspring

Tough Kimber mainspring

So I'm over at a friend's house, she just bought a Kimber micro nine and the mainspring is brutal. Does anyone know is there a good softer or smoother mainspring option for the micro nine?

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    So I'm over at a friend's house, she just bought a Kimber micro nine and the mainspring is brutal. Does anyone know is there a good softer or smoother mainspring option for the micro nine?
    you reduce the main spring and the recoil is a bitch.....

I assume you mean the recoil spring

I've gone as light as 11# in a standard .45 (16-18# is typical) and while it changes the nature of the recoil, I don't think it really makes it worse. I have no experience particular to the micro-nine, but my experience with similar size guns is that they need that stout spring to operate with the shorter stroke.

In 1911 parlance the "mainspring" is the spring captured in the rear of the frame which drives the hammer. If that's what you meant, disregard my comment.

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    I have no experience particular to the micro-nine, but my experience with similar size guns is that they need that stout spring to operate with the shorter stroke.
    GsT
    That's one of the things about those 'micro' and super light weight pistols I dislike. The Kimbers are nice guns but particularly nasty in that regard.

For people with smaller hands and most females, I steer them to the S&W 442 for a defensive and/or concealed carry gun and have them shoot one of mine.

FWIW.....-Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    That's one of the things about those 'micro' and super light weight pistols I dislike. The Kimbers are nice guns but particularly nasty in that regard.

For people with smaller hands and most females, I steer them to the S&W 442 for a defensive and/or concealed carry gun and have them shoot one of mine.

FWIW.....-Al

++1

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post

FWIW.....-Al
    polish p64 is a mil surplus 9x18 mak
    as a mil it has a heavy trigger and terrible recoil
    replace the main and slide/recoil spring with aftermarket and shoot self defense
    and it is a very nice pocket pistol
    they use to be cheap, not so today but still less than any micro nine built today

This is wonderful.... My Wife and I spent the weekend with friends and sharing these responses (and PM's) made our conversations much easier! She won't probably get rid of the Kimber (it's gorgeous) but will buy something easier to rack for her carry gun.

She is very happy.

ANY excuse to buy another gun.......((My wife is hinting that her Hellcat sometimes feels a little heavy cocking too...."maybe she needs to try one of them other ones....." ))

In the meantime, a member here PM'd me to suggest "she can cock the hammer before racking the slide".....

the

friggin'

DUMB!!!!!

All's I could think of is "why din't I think a that???!!!!"

Well, because I'm not a pistol guy. THANK YOU all you'se pistol guys for your help

al
    Last edited by alinwa; 03-06-2022 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    I've gone as light as 11# in a standard .45 (16-18# is typical) and while it changes the nature of the recoil, I don't think it really makes it worse. I have no experience particular to the micro-nine, but my experience with similar size guns is that they need that stout spring to operate with the shorter stroke.

In 1911 parlance the "mainspring" is the spring captured in the rear of the frame which drives the hammer. If that's what you meant, disregard my comment.

GsT
    Thank you Gene, of course you are right. Teach me to set in the living room at a friend's house and thumbtype on my peanut-sized Atom

Yes...cocking the hammer before operating the slide is a big help. -Al

Grip

For newbies,Improper grip can cause injury to hand from recoiling slide. A simple solution is lots of practice/familiarity with firearm.

Glenn

Going too light on an auto's mainspring

risks imparting damage to the gun's frame or slide. Think a Colt Gold Cup, designed for mid-range target loads being shot a lot with hardball with no change in mainspring. Not a good idea. Everything is a compromise one way or the other.
    Last edited by glp; 03-07-2022 at 12:06 PM.

wolff springs

I got some light recoil springs from Wolff for my 1911. Helps with rackin the slide. Then you gotta shoot light loads in it if your gonna shoot it much. Im pretty much one handed and I get along with it alot better. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    This is wonderful.... My Wife and I spent the weekend with friends and sharing these responses (and PM's) made our conversations much easier! She won't probably get rid of the Kimber (it's gorgeous) but will buy something easier to rack for her carry gun.

She is very happy.

ANY excuse to buy another gun.......((My wife is hinting that her Hellcat sometimes feels a little heavy cocking too...."maybe she needs to try one of them other ones....." ))
    If she is married to a mini 1911 type she’d be further ahead with a SigP238. The days of inferior .380 ammo are over, the quality defensive stuff is every bit as effective as 9mm.
    That said, consider an M&P shield from the Performance Center, great tuned trigger and ported for less felt recoil.
    My 238 is pretty accurate for a pocket type gun and I have a Performance Center .45 that in very nice in a IWB and shoots way over it’s pay grade

I'm reluctant to enter the "stopping power" fight, but c'mon...

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    The days of inferior .380 ammo are over, the quality defensive stuff is every bit as effective as 9mm.
    Riiiiiiigggggghhhhht... And modern 9mm is just as good as .45 ACP and modern .45ACP is just as good as .44 Mag, and modern .44mag is just as good as... ... .50 BMG... ergo, modern .380 is as good as .50 BMG."

If you want to carry .380, that's a personal choice. But if you want to ***pretend*** that a smaller, slower, lighter round is just as good as a faster, more massive round, you're delusional. Period. You can pick .380 for convenience or carry-ability, but it is not, and never will be, equivalent to (even) a 9mm. It is inconceivable that a round with lesser energy, driving a lighter bullet, could beat out or equal a round with greater energy AND greater mass. That's more absurd than the folks that perennially think that 9mm is better than .45, even though reality slaps them in the face every few years.

GsT