Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on bullet making.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wayne shaw View Post
    when i made bullets, 6mm, i followed the method of seating the core and measuring the jacket shrinkage, and diameter. But once the jacket stopped getting shorter and the diameter was the diameter of the die id, i never saw the need to keep adding pressure. Is the jacket itself stretching? And i did the same as joel, 1/2 grain of lube per 1000 cleaned jackets. You won't stick a seated jacket in the die, there is a full size punch ejecting it. I did add some lube and tumble again for pointup. That need to come out easily.
    ferris pindel put on a show at harts rage on how to core seat when mark showed on the outside of the jacket from punch pressure that was what you used . Lightly

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    J4 doesn't guarantee tir up the whole jacket just to a datum around .2 up from base, these are prints from Spiveco that started making jackets ( pre j4 ) read the notes you will see the issue. only had 22 and 6 I don't think there was a 30 br in 95....
    George,that is what I am getting on these .925 30’s about 2/3 way up the jacket. Some are really good, some not so good.

Spievco PDF files

If your computer won't open the pdf's that George linked, here they are:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    if you use light cloth with small amt. S t p on it your fingers will lube the jacket with lead already in it. Works 1400 a hr.
    i put cloth in small cookie tray put about 200 at time.this generaly left enough to point up with. After pointing up i rolled on paper towel this keep barrel from copering up.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    george,that is what i am getting on these .925 30’s about 2/3 way up the jacket. Some are really good, some not so good.
    r on the jacket may be due to being pushed off.

George,that is what I am getting on these .925 30’s about 2/3 way up the jacket. Some are really good, some not so good.
    Jackie, Around Feb my house goes, really dry....25%. And I was getting cases stuck to punch. And stuck in the point up die. Got a pic of my thumb trying to wrestle a press. Perfect 6mm hole through my Thumb nail.
    Called George. I was using his formula of 50% lanolin and 50% Vasoline...
    I switched to lanolin and castor oil. Works great.
    It was a couple of calls to Lowell Hottenstein and George Ulrich. To figure this out.....

On the topic of imbalance and or dispersion:

My thoughts on this are any irregular lead bleed by in the core seated jacket will be very detrimental to the balance of the spinning bullet, and of course, accuracy.
    I have read about issues with jacket wall thickness, possible air pockets between jacket and core and core movement during point up but, as to core uniformity other than Vaughn I have not heard any concerns. Just wondering about miss distance values and flyers coming from the lack of core homogeneity and or uniformity? Is this in the - being to anal – category?

Ken

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by k hope View Post
    i have read about issues with jacket wall thickness, possible air pockets between jacket and core and core movement during point up but, as to core uniformity other than vaughn i have not heard any concerns. Just wondering about miss distance values and flyers coming from the lack of core homogeneity and or uniformity? Is this in the - being to anal – category?

Ken
    the question of too much bleed by has not been proven to hurt acuary the tests i made and doc. Matretzos xray. Prove4d that.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    the question of too much bleed by has not been proven to hurt acuary the tests i made and doc. Matretzos xray. Prove4d that.
    It will when the lead comes out of the point.....

Quote Originally Posted by K Hope View Post
    I have read about issues with jacket wall thickness, possible air pockets between jacket and core and core movement during point up but, as to core uniformity other than Vaughn I have not heard any concerns. Just wondering about miss distance values and flyers coming from the lack of core homogeneity and or uniformity? Is this in the - being to anal – category?

Ken
    Yep.
    You squish that lead and stretch that jacket .005-.008", that lead ain't going no where. And it is shaped by the jacket and Core seat die.
    I have cut the jacket off some. Chucked up the bullet in a drill and used a hack saw to cut with. And had to use 2 pair of vise grips to pry the jacket off. Vise grips against each other....
    I am sure eventually, there might be some oxidation to form a bond....That might take years. Or maybe not. there may not be enough O2 to start that....
    And most BR bullets are not around very long.....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    it will when the lead comes out of the point.....
    i dont think anyone has that much bleed by i make manny mannt spitzer bullets and they shoot liketarget bullets.

To clarify my poorly worded question: Have any bullet makers associated any relation between bullet imbalance and the Quality of the lead wire? - Homogeneous make up and purity.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by K Hope View Post
    To clarify my poorly worded question: Have any bullet makers associated any relation between bullet imbalance and the Quality of the lead wire? - Homogeneous make up and purity.

Ken
    Yes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    it will when the lead comes out of the point.....
    bleedby is only that great when you maqking to heavy of bullet for 6 ppc or 6 br.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    too anal in short range benchrest....nah
    its great o have people like you who has the knowledge to look at these things allong with equiptkent and interest it helps everyone keep up your endevers.