Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 jaw chuck

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    With an Interapid dial indicator 0.00001??

^ understands the “rule of ten”.

Never said I could not do it or that it could not be done just saying what type of lathe / bearings it takes and by no means is it needed to do ones own barrel and for it to end up shooting extremely competitive with a bit more tolerance. It is the entire proper process more than just dialing in a barrel to within a .0001 tolerance that might end up shooting like ___! But if done right with .0002 or possibly even more you can go out and win and to do against the best. I know and know it from personal experience by being able to do the same. In my own very competitive benchrest sport and I have been doing it now going on 24 years.
    Last edited by Louis.J; 02-27-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post

i am done
    Promise?

Makes one wonder if he goes back and checks his work as Jackie has pointed out and would his .0001 still be there. It is not always about where you start at but also where you end up at when done.
    Last edited by Louis.J; 02-28-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    i paid $4600 for a 2 year old $12000 lathe (prices at the time).
    it was 220 3 phase...little "home" market. taken in trade by a commercial machine sales company.

you are pretending that "because you cannot do it, or believe it cannot be done" we should not talk about it.
    bs
    rubicon is a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS...and as such does not fit in a discussion on home machinist.

i am done
    I hope that you are.

"it was 220 3 phase...little "home" market. taken in trade by a commercial machine sales company."

The drop in VFD process has made running a 3-phase in a residence a lot easier.

And unlike the old 3-phase idler system, the VFD can produce three 120 degree phases.

The idler system was often a +/-180 degree and a 90 degree.

Enough to get a 3-phase up and running.
    Last edited by brickeyee; 03-15-2021 at 03:21 PM.