Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting The FX Impact MKII

The problem lies with the pellets. They are the limiting factor. 3x the drag or more than rimfire....they work fine, but just blow like crazy at 50.

Instead of waiting for the world to come around, we are going to create a new org that is specifically for 50y air rifle shooting.

Mike

Good For You Mike

Quote Originally Posted by michaelthomas View Post
    The problem lies with the pellets. They are the limiting factor. 3x the drag or more than rimfire....they work fine, but just blow like crazy at 50.

Instead of waiting for the world to come around, we are going to create a new org that is specifically for 50y air rifle shooting.

Mike
    I wish you the best of luck.

Pete

FX IMapct - Installment 5

Mike sent me a practice National Fifty target in PDF. I made a .350 plug for pellet scoring.

Attached is a National Fifty target I shot this morning. I think that the NF target combined with the .350 plug accomplishes Mike's objectives because it shows that a factory air rifle can be competitive in the pellet class.

I started with lighter pellets at higher velocities and then shifted to heavier pellets. Average MV's are shown on the target.

The heavy pellets performed well - for a while. Extreme spreads were less than 10 and accuracy was quite good. However, when I tried a second target, MV's were all over the place and accuracy was abysmal.

This is the same condition I encountered when I last tried shooting heavy pellets. At approximately 44 FPE the rifle shoots well for a while and then loses shot-to-shot consistency. It could be a regulator problem, a valve seat failure, or perhaps something simpler like overloading the o-ring that seals the probe in the breech.

So, next time out I'll be back to lighter pellets.

Jan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jan Pritchard; 02-07-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Jan,

There is another gentleman here that has a new FX Impact, and has been working on just getting his speed up, haven't looked at it but can see his frustration plus am anxious to see the difference to the crown.

What is the tuner you are using mentioned on the target?

There's no confidence with slugs in the crown, they will stay put then wander.

Also like the new target, that little bit extra for the ten ring plus the plug does make it nice.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friedrich View Post
    Jan,

There is another gentleman here that has a new FX Impact, and has been working on just getting his speed up, haven't looked at it but can see his frustration plus am anxious to see the difference to the crown.

What is the tuner you are using mentioned on the target?

There's no confidence with slugs in the crown, they will stay put then wander.

Also like the new target, that little bit extra for the ten ring plus the plug does make it nice.

Joe
    Hi Joe,

Good luck to the other FX Impact shooter. If his rifle is like mine, the factory regulator setting is 85 bar and the hammer spring preload is set to zero.

If he hasn't already done so, he might try upping the regulator pressure to 110 bar and then increasing hammer spring preload until he achieves 925-950 fps with 15.89 grain pellets. This seems to be the sweet spot so far - good accuracy well within the mechanical limits of the rifles internal components.

I removed both the factory moderator and barrel shroud, This leaves a short length of exposed 1/2" x 20 male thread at the muzzle end. My "tuners" consist of: a hex nut, a half nut, a lug nut, and a coupler. I've tried all of these with a variety of pellets, slugs, and MV's. The only combination that appears to have any beneficial effect is using the coupler (the heaviest weight) along with 15.89 slugs at 950 fps.

The moderator is comprised of three components threaded together. I've also tried using combinations of those components as bloop tubes. None of those combinations helped accuracy.

I only have the one air rifle so I'll keep tinkering and maybe score a breakthrough some day. As they say, Hope Springs Eternal.

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pritchard View Post
    Hi Joe,

Good luck to the other FX Impact shooter. If his rifle is like mine, the factory regulator setting is 85 bar and the hammer spring preload is set to zero.

If he hasn't already done so, he might try upping the regulator pressure to 110 bar and then increasing hammer spring preload until he achieves 925-950 fps with 15.89 grain pellets. This seems to be the sweet spot so far - good accuracy well within the mechanical limits of the rifles internal components.

I removed both the factory moderator and barrel shroud, This leaves a short length of exposed 1/2" x 20 male thread at the muzzle end. My "tuners" consist of: a hex nut, a half nut, a lug nut, and a coupler. I've tried all of these with a variety of pellets, slugs, and MV's. The only combination that appears to have any beneficial effect is using the coupler (the heaviest weight) along with 15.89 slugs at 950 fps.

The moderator is comprised of three components threaded together. I've also tried using combinations of those components as bloop tubes. None of those combinations helped accuracy.

I only have the one air rifle so I'll keep tinkering and maybe score a breakthrough some day. As they say, Hope Springs Eternal.

Jan
    Thanks Jan, I believe he has messed with the reg and hammer adjustments and will let him know your suggestions. I have not looked at his rifle yet, since I have the FX Crown it seems to be different set ups. The crown reg was 110 hammer set at max MV was 910 with 25 grain JSB, 700mm liner. Today the reg is at 135, hammer tuned, max MV is now 970 with 25 grain. It took a lot of work and patience to get it there and happy with the performance and accuracy. It shoots well at 970 also in the 890 range. Still can not get slugs to shoot well enough but that's fine.

Interesting tuner, and hope you can get more out of it.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Friedrich; 02-07-2021 at 06:26 PM.

For what it's worth:

Back when I was messing with Air Rifles I tried a number of things with regard to barrel devices to include a tube to make it to the Purdy RX. The Purdy RX worked great the first time I set the rifles up but went away the next time I shot them. I tried air strippers I made and determined they were only tuner weight and not very good tuner weight. I then went to a 1 oz bushing that fit the outside of the barrel. I found that midway between the muzzle and breech, the barrel came into tune and would go out quickly as the bushing was moved very little. I began at the muzzle and slid it back as I shot groups. Once it was what I felt was tuned, I quit moving the device. Perhaps there were other sweet spots but I didn't explore them.

I bought my first Custom RF bench rifle back in 1984. It was a newly built 40X with a Lilja barrel and a Fudd tuner on it built by Layman Loggins. The tuner would slide back behind the muzzle and I eventually found tune with it behind the muzzle. I did it so as not to have to clean the tuner and I found it tuned the barrel fine behind the muzzle. If I had a way to engrave, I would explore making a Fudd replica to try on the RF barrels I currently have. I think one needs a defined scale to use so that one knows where they are at with a two pieced tuner or at least it's easier for me. I have meant to try a sliding sleeve on a RF barrel to try to tune it but haven't gotten to it yet. Perhaps in the Spring when I get home.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 02-08-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks for sharing Pete

There is also

the issue of how much weight. Its a proven fact that 3 0z of weight behind the muzzle of a HV Centrerfire rifle will easily tune it. I would suspect a RF barrel is no different and may take very little weight to find a tune. When on compares the size difference it's only logical. Easy to whip up a sliding sleeve and try it.

Pete

Bummer

The three month old FX Impact died today.

I was shooting a National Fifty Target using 15.89 gr pellets at 980 fps - not a particularly hot load. After about 30 shots, the next shot dropped to 850 fps. The following shot went to 760 fps and then it just went "click." There are no leaks in either the main bottle or the plenum. The rifle cocks, the hammer strikes the valve, but no air is released from the plenum.

I called warranty service but it's after hours so I'll call again tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to be out of the airgun business for a while.

Jan

It looks like a broken valve stem... ?

Good Customer Service

My first experience with FX customer service was a happy one.

Customer service picked up on my first call. I was immediately connected to a tech who diagnosed the problem and told me how to fix it.

It turns out that the hammer seat was installed at the factory without locktite and the hammer seat had simply unscrewed itself from the valve rod. He walked me through the steps needed to get it back together and it took me about ten minutes to do the repair.

The rifle is now working and I'm looking forward to getting back to the range to determine if this repair had an overall beneficial effect.

Jan

Great news

FX IMapct - Installment 6

I've been otherwise occupied so there hasn't been much time to experiment with the FX Impact.

So far, the rifle consistently shoots the National 50 target in the mid 240's (8 to 14 x-count) with JSB 25.39 Redesigned Monster pellets at 860 fps.

The main issue the occasional spiraling flyer that eats up 2 points. I get at least one on every card and that leaves no room for mis-reading the wind.

I want to up the velocity but I'm already at 41.4 fpe and I'm reluctant to drive this thing any harder. However, this is the only pellet that shows consistent performance - so I'll most likely try to bump up the speed in small increments. Perhaps I can get rid of the spiraling fliers.

So that's it. The rifle continues to wok well after reattaching the hammer shoe to the valve rod. It's easy to use and I'm confidant it could hold its own against similar rifles in its price range.

Jan

Any pellet prep?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pritchard View Post
    I've been otherwise occupied so there hasn't been much time to experiment with the FX Impact.

So far, the rifle consistently shoots the National 50 target in the mid 240's (8 to 14 x-count) with JSB 25.39 Redesigned Monster pellets at 860 fps.

The main issue the occasional spiraling flyer that eats up 2 points. I get at least one on every card and that leaves no room for mis-reading the wind.

I want to up the velocity but I'm already at 41.4 fpe and I'm reluctant to drive this thing any harder. However, this is the only pellet that shows consistent performance - so I'll most likely try to bump up the speed in small increments. Perhaps I can get rid of the spiraling fliers.

So that's it. The rifle continues to wok well after reattaching the hammer shoe to the valve rod. It's easy to use and I'm confidant it could hold its own against similar rifles in its price range.

Jan
    Are you sorting pellets, washing & lubing, or skirt forming? I'm wondering if you could weed out that 'spiraling flyer' ahead of time.

GsT