Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Shooting The FX Impact MKII

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21

    Cleaning and Lube

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Are you sorting pellets, washing & lubing, or skirt forming? I'm wondering if you could weed out that 'spiraling flyer' ahead of time.

    GsT
    I've tried cleaning and lubing but not skirt forming.

    I've washed the pellets with a very dilute solution of Dawn dish soap. After drying overnight, the pellets were then:

    Left clean, or
    Lubed with a very light coating of Imperial Sizing Wax, or
    Lubed with RWS chamber lube.

    All variations performed the same - one or two spiraling flyers each card.

    The odd thing was that the RWS lubed pellets shot about 10 fps slower on average than all the others. These pellets were so "slippery" that I had some trouble loading.

    I'm not familiar with skirt forming. Is there a tool for that?

    Jan

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pritchard View Post
    I've tried cleaning and lubing but not skirt forming.

    I've washed the pellets with a very dilute solution of Dawn dish soap. After drying overnight, the pellets were then:

    Left clean, or
    Lubed with a very light coating of Imperial Sizing Wax, or
    Lubed with RWS chamber lube.

    All variations performed the same - one or two spiraling flyers each card.

    The odd thing was that the RWS lubed pellets shot about 10 fps slower on average than all the others. These pellets were so "slippery" that I had some trouble loading.

    I'm not familiar with skirt forming. Is there a tool for that?

    Jan
    Found this with a quick search: https://www.trrobb.com/product/adjus...llet-sizer-177, but the one I was thinking of came as a tray with a backing tool, but I'm unable to find it at the moment. I have tried neither - just trying to ride your coattails to better accuracy.

    GsT

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    850
    pellet seating tool- at one time marketed by Beeman. one end a bit pointed other a round ball, flared skirt out a bit or if deformed round it back out a bit.
    flat tray refered to was a sorting sizing system for pellets caliber specific. other sizing tools were push through types again Beeman had one in their line up, caliber specific.
    then there was a real fancy rig a gentleman was making for air gauging pellets for size.

    whole thing comes down to about the same deal as sorting 22lr by rim thickness or weight of the assembly. top quality pellets or 22lr does not seem to matter, el cheapo pellets or 22lr - sometimes.

    Sizer makes pellets a bit more uniform physically externally in dia. does not change a weight variation.

    Rim thicknees gauge for 22lr ( $90 green backs)- was a hot item for a bit, but then so were bloop tubes.

    I once sorted 500 rnds of some medium quality 22lr by weight ( electronic scale)- did not see any improvement, ditto on the rim thickness and no I did not lay down $90 for a gauge (one type) I simply made one ( I have a small machine shop so dial indicators are not in short supply) there was a sliding type also.
    Last edited by blades; 02-26-2021 at 05:01 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    1
    I have 2 impacts. 22 cal and 25 cal, also have a swap setup for 17 cal. Yes pellets are not perfect. That is why original air rifle competitions, like in olympics is 10m. Everything affects Airguns more than powder burners. So wind flags a must. Sorting pellets does help for me. In .177 you can even buy different diameters, there is a reason. Slugs are very popular now. Your setup, lighter slugs may work. With all of this said, we know the issues with .22lr. A 5fps velocity change can make all the difference.

    Today at out door 100 yard shoots, the most popular cal is probably 30 followed by 25. Why, wind. My rifles consistently shoot sub moa groups, but wind makes a difference, temperature makes a difference, the way you touch the gun makes a difference, pellet in barrel a long time. So trying to shoot that target at 50 yards is hard. You are doing well.

    Also go to Airgun nation.com

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21

    FX Impact Installment 7 - Good News For a Change

    Things are looking up.

    I raised the regulated pressure to 120 bar and adjusted the trigger pre-load and the Valve Adjustment to get 908 fps average. This was not one adjustment but the end result of a whole bunch of intermediate adjustments.

    The rifle seems to have found its happy place with 25.39 gr. Monster Redesigned JSB's.

    I'm still getting a few flyers but that may be pellet related. I'm going to have to do a bit of sorting.

    The attached National 50 target scored 247 - 18x using a .350" plug. All three points were lost on one bull as a result of a flyer.

    I hope this keeps up.

    Jan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jan Pritchard; 03-02-2021 at 06:57 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    326
    Nice job, Jan!

    Mike

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21

    FX Impact - Installment 8 - Final Chapter?

    Hi,

    I'm out of ideas for testing (improving) my FX Impact. It's been a interesting experince but I think I've hit the limits for a factory gun.

    So, to wind things up, here are two pictures of my bench set-up.

    The AR-style grip is gone; replaced by a parallel-to-the-bore rigid bag rider.

    The stock trigger guard has ben replaced with a Saber Tech Gen II extended trigger guard. This thing also rigid. I attached a piece of 3" aluminum channel to the new trigger guard.

    The front rest is a FUDD (remember those). The rear bag is by Edgewood.

    It takes a bit to convert an FX Impact to a bench gun, but it can be done.

    Jan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06096, Small.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	24477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06099, Small.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	352.9 KB 
ID:	24478  

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21

    FX Impact - Installment 9 - More Hammer Seat Blues

    Good morning,

    I had another issue with the hammer seat backing off of the valve rod despite the use of blue locktite. I checked other airgun websites and it appears this is a recurring problem with the Impact. So, if you have an Impact and you notice a gradual drop in mv for no apparent reason, the hammer seat is the likely cause. Fortunately it's an easy fix.

    There was a previous thread on pellet uniforming. I gave it a try using a .221 push-through bullet resizing die. And, son-of-a-gun - it worked. The die resized the skirts on JSB 25.39 grain "Redesigned" pellets to .221 and made each skirt uniformly round.

    After fixing the hammer seat, I tried the uniformed pellets on a National 50 target. Average mv was back at 908 fps with 8fps max spread and 2fps SD. This the lowest max spread I've achieved with this rifle so perhaps uniforming the pellets had a beneficial effect. The low max spread translated to very little vertical dispersion at 50 yards.

    I hope to get out again this week and verify today's results.

    Jan

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    324

    Excellent!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pritchard View Post
    Good morning,

    I had another issue with the hammer seat backing off of the valve rod despite the use of blue locktite. I checked other airgun websites and it appears this is a recurring problem with the Impact. So, if you have an Impact and you notice a gradual drop in mv for no apparent reason, the hammer seat is the likely cause. Fortunately it's an easy fix.

    There was a previous thread on pellet uniforming. I gave it a try using a .221 push-through bullet resizing die. And, son-of-a-gun - it worked. The die resized the skirts on JSB 25.39 grain "Redesigned" pellets to .221 and made each skirt uniformly round.

    After fixing the hammer seat, I tried the uniformed pellets on a National 50 target. Average mv was back at 908 fps with 8fps max spread and 2fps SD. This the lowest max spread I've achieved with this rifle so perhaps uniforming the pellets had a beneficial effect. The low max spread translated to very little vertical dispersion at 50 yards.

    I hope to get out again this week and verify today's results.

    Jan
    What bullet sizing die / pusher did you use? Might try this myself.

    Thanks for continuing to follow up!

    GsT

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    What bullet sizing die / pusher did you use? Might try this myself.

    Thanks for continuing to follow up!

    GsT
    Hi,

    Lee used to make custom push through dies at a very reasonable price. I just checked and it seems that Lee is out of stock on almost all of the regular sizes and doesn't appear to be taking custom orders.

    NOE makes .221 push through sizers but the cost is significant.

    I don't recommend buying expensive tools based on just a few targets. Let me see if the performance of resized (uniformed) pellets holds up over time. I'll keep everyone posted.

    Jan

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    850
    Pellets are almost pure lead- very soft. Easy enough to make a push through sizer out of a bit of tool steel. Course I have a small machine shop which gives a bit of an advantage in that department. but these are not rocket science, drill bit, import reamer, toothpaste ( cheap polishing compound) Many eons ago prior to the shop I made a few for myself and a couple friends in several sizes with just a small drill press, hack saw and some files.You get creative when cash is short.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    Pellets are almost pure lead- very soft. Easy enough to make a push through sizer out of a bit of tool steel. Course I have a small machine shop which gives a bit of an advantage in that department. but these are not rocket science, drill bit, import reamer, toothpaste ( cheap polishing compound) Many eons ago prior to the shop I made a few for myself and a couple friends in several sizes with just a small drill press, hack saw and some files.You get creative when cash is short.
    I was thinking the same - even mild steel would probably work unless you hit very high volumes. Mostly though I was wondering about the pusher - do you make it pointed to match the pellet skirt, or do you just go with a blunt surface, like the bullet sizers I've used? I'm assuming you'd lightly radius the lead into the sizing die as well in order to avoid cutting lead from the skirt. Perhaps I should start experimenting.

    Side note: toothpaste?! really? Never tried it, but that seems super, super fine for polishing steel.

    GsT

    Edit: clarification

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •