Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Ambler

John Ambler

In researching my latest Superior (Ross Sherman rifle) I came upon the name John Ambler (or very close to that) from Colorado. I was told he is (was?) a BR shooter who brought the game to Colorado into the Loveland area. Does anyone know him, or know of him? Any info would be helpful

Snert

I believe that he is in Fort Collins area. Also he used to do fitting and chambering. I was at one time interested in his services way back when. Apparently he built a number of rifles for Dave Brennan who never fired them, but sold them instead so John got pissed off and quit the fitting and chambering business. He is not to be confused with John Amber.
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 11-22-2020 at 11:32 AM.

I sent John an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    In researching my latest Superior (Ross Sherman rifle) I came upon the name John Ambler (or very close to that) from Colorado. I was told he is (was?) a BR shooter who brought the game to Colorado into the Loveland area. Does anyone know him, or know of him? Any info would be helpful

Snert
    I believe that you are looking for "the other" John Amber, who was, a collector, author, magazine editor (maybe Gun Digest??) . . . poor memory prevents precise details. RG

P.S. I believe this is the man you want, however, he died around 20years ago: John T. Amber, Editor Emeritus of Gun Digest & Handloader's Digest has done a ...

P.S. Corrected spelling to John T. AMBER - my bad.
    Last edited by R.G. Robinett; 11-22-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    I believe that you are looking for "the other" John Ambler, who was, a collector, author, magazine editor (maybe Gun Digest??) . . . poor memory prevents precise details. RG

P.S. I believe this is the man you want, however, he died around 20years ago: John T. Ambler, Editor Emeritus of Gun Digest & Handloader's Digest has done a ...
    Just got an email from John. He doesn't have one, but said he would check with the old timers. Probably the John Amber that you are speaking about.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    I believe that you are looking for "the other" John Ambler, who was, a collector, author, magazine editor (maybe Gun Digest??) . . . poor memory prevents precise details. RG

P.S. I believe this is the man you want, however, he died around 20years ago: John T. Ambler, Editor Emeritus of Gun Digest & Handloader's Digest has done a ...
    https://gundigest.com/author/john-t-amber

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Just got an email from John. He doesn't have one, but said he would check with the old timers. Probably the John Amber that you are speaking about.
    Thanks for the correction, Butch! RG

Ok, it is possible that the person I am looking for is John Amber...

What I was told is that John Ambler (Amber) once owned this rifle that I now own. This info came from Bibs Machine out in CO, but I can't seem to raise them after trying about ten times last week. (Maybe elk hunting??)

I'm just trying to trace former owners, and gain any info on it's history. I am pretty certain it was once Becky sinclairs HV. No idea who had it before Fred and Becky, but it is the 5th made. So it went to someone close to Ross right out of the gate.

Thanks for the leads guys, I appreciate it! If anyone tells you they know anything about this rifle, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Snert

Sure appreciate your help! That was kind of you

Sure appreciate your help! That was kind of you
    Sent you a PM with John Ambler's email address. I did talk to John and said that he did own a Surperior, but sold it a few years ago.

Sent you a PM with John Ambler's email address. I did talk to John and said that he did own a Surperior, but sold it a few years ago.
    Thanks Butch. Sent a PM to you and your bride as well. Praying for both of you as you recover.

I sent an email to John.

P

Ok, it is possible that the person I am looking for is John Amber...

What I was told is that John Ambler (Amber) once owned this rifle that I now own. This info came from Bibs Machine out in CO, but I can't seem to raise them after trying about ten times last week. (Maybe elk hunting??)

I'm just trying to trace former owners, and gain any info on it's history. I am pretty certain it was once Becky sinclairs HV. No idea who had it before Fred and Becky, but it is the 5th made. So it went to someone close to Ross right out of the gate.

Thanks for the leads guys, I appreciate it! If anyone tells you they know anything about this rifle, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Snert
    The rifle was owned by John Ambler at one time and he sold it to a young man named Derrick Scott years ago along with the 6x50 mag reamer. He brought the rifle to me and I chambered two barrels for it one was a used barrel and the other was a new barrel. He shot it at a few matches and then sold it some time ago. I dont know who bought it though. I still have the reamer. I talked to John Ambler about this rifle a few days ago. I do have some records on the barrels I did for it if you want some info on it.
    Loren/ Bibs Machine

I just looked at my records and I worked on it in July 2008.
    John is a good friend of mine and has helped me and every body else in the Colo area and a lot of other BR shooters all over the country. He is one of the good old guys that started BR shooting in Colo.
    Last edited by bibsmachine; 12-19-2020 at 02:43 AM.

Loren!

I sent a PM, but this is a public thank you for reaching out. I have been trying to reach you via phone a few weeks ago.

i am amazed at the "smallness" of the shooting world, and this thread reinforces that. But within this group of folks I am finding some of the kindest, most helpful and knowledgable folks I have ever encountered. I love these old Superiors (its odd, I know) and am having a great time with them.

Snert