Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 36X scope for 50 yard match

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by calfed View Post
    thanks, eidolon! I'll post some range reports.
    50 yrs ago at old time turkey shoot an old fellow told me bill the better ou can see the better you will shoot.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    50 yrs ago at old time turkey shoot an old fellow told me bill the better ou can see the better you will shoot.
    e a smith of pittsburg pa.

Quote Originally Posted by KC57 View Post
    Refinish that beat-up 40X stock?

Boy, if I could get my old stock to look that good I would refinish it.

Nice work, KC

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    e a smith of pittsburg pa.
    I bet he is right!

BR Scope

36x is not too much scope for 50y rimfire BR matches. I use a 36x Sightron for ARA matches on my Remington and it works great. I have friends who go much higher on magnification as high as 50x and 60x. I have a bias here. I think that as long as you can see the tgt clearly, then more magnification is not really a benefit and could?? sometimes be a detriment. The rifle does not know what power the scope is and it shoots the same either way. So the scope is merely an aiming tool. I have a 40x optic that is too much scope for many cases. It is easy to loose track of where you are on the tgt and makes it easier to make a mistake and fail to engage a tgt. That is not a big deal and is easy to avoid with care but 36x is enough for me. For some of my old classic Win 52's I have 24x, 20x and 10x scopes mounted. The 10x is a very clear old Fecker and is not really much of a handicap. With the 10x mounted I was shooting 248's and 249's. I replaced it with a 20x Unertl and was shooting 250/19x in the first outing so it did make a small improvement on what was already a great old rifle. The 20x is plenty of magnification for 50y BR. Other factors like wind and ammo variance become the more important variables at that point.

.22 bench rest

I shoot .22 bench rest on the USBR target (AKA the green monster) with a 0.108 10 ring and need all the magnification I can get. With a 42x scope I can move to each side of the 10 ring but any smaller adjustment needed and I can not see the adjustment.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!