Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: Primers

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    of staying two years ahead on components. No other way to do it if one wants to be able to shoot. If folks are new and not experienced shortages, let this time be a lesson and remember it.

    Pete
    Pete
    I have been reloading since the mid- sixties and don't remember anything like what is going on now.A few years back I was down to my last can of BLC-2 when I found out there was a powder shortage. When it was available again the price had gone up. I have plenty of everything except CCI 450. Have lots of CCI 400 and wil use them for the time being.

    I think this situation is going to last for some time.

    Mort

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    2,052
    Strange as it sounds, I've never loaded hand gun ammo....rifles only. I'm going to start loading 38Spl and 357 Magnum for a couple of my revolvers and needless to say, small pistol primers are virtually unobtainable at this point in time. A couple handgun pals have been using thin cupped (.020-.021) small rifle primers in their hand gun ammo with good results. Thankfully, I have 1000's of WSR primers on hand.

    This chart isn't complete but may be useful. On another note....if you're stocked up with more than you can possibly ever use, help your fellow shooters out and pass them on.

    Good shootin'. -Al


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Down By the Cedar River
    Posts
    1,230

    Primer Shortage Emergency Kicks In

    Right at about 15K in inventory......

    Later
    Dave

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    429
    you mean in any one type or size, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    Right at about 15K in inventory......

    Later
    Dave

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    732
    Dave
    P.M me if you want to lighten your inventory.

    Mort

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    681

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Pete
    I have been reloading since the mid- sixties and don't remember anything like what is going on now.A few years back I was down to my last can of BLC-2 when I found out there was a powder shortage. When it was available again the price had gone up. I have plenty of everything except CCI 450. Have lots of CCI 400 and wil use them for the time being.

    I think this situation is going to last for some time.

    Mort
    more shooters stocking up

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,798
    Some of us old farts have been around since Noah. We see a bargain and jump on it knowing we might need it in the future. Over time you will have sufficient for your needs. Call it hoarding or whatever, I have it and you do not!
    Remember, mine are not for sale!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder about that, given the apparent way it prints money.
    Govt prints money to keep down inflation.
    Like fracking keeps down the cost of oil......or for most folks, the price of gas.....
    BUT! Refining "oil" goes into a lot of "common goods".
    Git rid of "oil" refining and we are back to the "STONE AGE!", real quick....

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Strange as it sounds, I've never loaded hand gun ammo....rifles only. I'm going to start loading 38Spl and 357 Magnum for a couple of my revolvers and needless to say, small pistol primers are virtually unobtainable at this point in time. A couple handgun pals have been using thin cupped (.020-.021) small rifle primers in their hand gun ammo with good results. Thankfully, I have 1000's of WSR primers on hand.

    This chart isn't complete but may be useful. On another note....if you're stocked up with more than you can possibly ever use, help your fellow shooters out and pass them on.

    Good shootin'. -Al

    Jeff passed away last week. He liked to shoot plates with an EEA .38 Super muzzle break/comp. Really loud. Ear plugs and muffs to time Jeff.
    But, the firearm was really a pleasure to shoot. Last shortage he tried the small rifle primers thing. Don't remember the brand.
    Sorta worked out. Every 3-5 rnd was a no shoot. That's how we got to shoot Jeff's .38 Super.....shoot the duds.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    732
    This old fart got lucky and scored on a mixed lot of CCI and Win. primers for $80/1000 right here in Idaho. It is twice as much as I'm used to paying but in today's market, it's a good deal. The Win. primers I will use with 4198......I feel pretty good. I'm not out totally of the woods because down the road my problem will be bullets and powder. I'm good for two maybe three years....after that who knows.


    Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 11-18-2020 at 07:20 AM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    429
    this is not true.
    while the us gov prints the paper bills it is controlled by the
    FEFDERAL RESERVE BANKS.... PRIVATE CORPORATIONS, NOT PART OF THE GOVMNT.
    PROCESS...the 13 federal reserve banks request x amount of paper bills every month. the president signs a printing order for 1) federal reserve notes, or 2) US notes. the paper is SOLD to the banks at COST TO PRINT. THE banks ISSUES at FACE VALUE. MAKING the value plus interest.( and the debt)
    the last president to issue US notes was KENNEDY. he was shot and killed and all US NOTES WERE REPLACED BY FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES with the US notes never issued by any fed res bank.
    i am sure it was a coincidence, tho the argument he had with his dad,in fla before going to dallas was about money.

    we are not argentina

    Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    Govt prints money to keep down inflation.
    Like fracking keeps down the cost of oil......or for most folks, the price of gas.....
    BUT! Refining "oil" goes into a lot of "common goods".
    Git rid of "oil" refining and we are back to the "STONE AGE!", real quick....
    Last edited by rsmithsr; 11-17-2020 at 11:25 PM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,327
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    this is not true.
    while the us gov prints the paper bills it is controlled by the
    FEFDERAL RESERVE BANKS.... PRIVATE CORPORATIONS, NOT PART OF THE GOVMNT.
    PROCESS...the 13 federal reserve banks request x amount of paper bills every month. the president signs a printing order for 1) federal reserve notes, or 2) US notes. the paper is SOLD to the banks at COST TO PRINT. THE banks ISSUES at FACE VALUE. MAKING the value plus interest.( and the debt)
    the last president to issue US notes was KENNEDY. he was shot and killed and all US NOTES WERE REPLACED BY FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES with the US notes never issued by any fed res bank.
    i am sure it was a coincidence, tho the argument he had with his dad,in fla before going to dallas was about money.

    we are not argentina
    Oh, you wait a few months.......Obiden did it and biden will do it again....

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    429
    sorry but in the usa paper money volume is not controlled by the pres.
    they can strangle by not printing, but cannot flood.
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    Oh, you wait a few months.......Obiden did it and biden will do it again....

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    583
    Stolen without permission from a thread on another site.

    "Vista outdoor group said they were over a year behind, and over a billion dollars worth, of ammunition orders... before the election. It ain't gonna get better anytime soon I'm afraid."

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    429
    ya need to list all the primer makers they control.
    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Stolen without permission from a thread on another site.

    "Vista outdoor group said they were over a year behind, and over a billion dollars worth, of ammunition orders... before the election. It ain't gonna get better anytime soon I'm afraid."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •