Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Piloted Center Drills

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    SE South Dakota
    Posts
    5

    Piloted Center Drills

    Iím looking for a set of piloted center drills. I used to have a set (3 drills) I believe they were made by Clymer.
    Anyone have a set theyíre not using & willing to sell?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    304
    Should be a stock item at JGS

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    590

    Piloted center drills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
    Iím looking for a set of piloted center drills. I used to have a set (3 drills) I believe they were made by Clymer.
    Anyone have a set theyíre not using & willing to sell?
    Not sure exactly what you are looking for as the tool suppliers have several types of tools that sort of fall in this catagory.
    Knowing the size you want would help.
    Check out at McMaster Carr or MSC for quick identification and you might have a local reseller in your neighborhood.
    Good luck.
    Centerfire

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, SC
    Posts
    86
    Manson sells them in 5 different spindle sizes. $95 apiece. https://mansonreamers.files.wordpres...med-file-1.pdf

    Bill Jacobs

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    354
    i'll bite///what is it used for ??

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    SE South Dakota
    Posts
    5
    Piloted center REAMER is probably a better description. It is used to cut/ream an accurate center in a barrel.

    I know new are available from JGS & Manson..I thought I may be able to find a used set.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    590

    ok

    Thank you Sleddog for reading the Tea leaves.
    Centerfire

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13
    PM sent.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
    Piloted center REAMER is probably a better description. It is used to cut/ream an accurate center in a barrel.

    I know new are available from JGS & Manson..I thought I may be able to find a used set.
    Not for benchrest quality chambering.


    .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    987
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    Not for benchrest quality chambering.


    .
    What in the world is wrong with setting the compound to 30 ( if that's the way your lathe is set up), Dial indicator in the bore, adjust to as close to zero as you can get, and cut the center from the inside out? Can't get better than this.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Shaw View Post
    What in the world is wrong with setting the compound to 30 ( if that's the way your lathe is set up), Dial indicator in the bore, adjust to as close to zero as you can get, and cut the center from the inside out? Can't get better than this.
    ^^^^^^

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    SE South Dakota
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Shaw View Post
    What in the world is wrong with setting the compound to 30 ( if that's the way your lathe is set up), Dial indicator in the bore, adjust to as close to zero as you can get, and cut the center from the inside out? Can't get better than this.
    Works only if youíre able to put the barrel through the headstock & dial it in. Iím not arguing there may be different or better ways of doing barrel work. My machine does have enough room to do it in the headstock. I prefer working between centers.
    Iíll admit itís been 35-40 years since I built & shot competition BR rifles. However, I was successful & competitive throughout the North Central region as well as at several Super Shoots & National events. Iím not looking to get back into competition again, just going to build a couple Varmint rifles for the Grandkids.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •