Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting in Benchrest

splatter/coated targets are next to impossible to measure.
    wrong type of paper for good holes the splatter just confuses things.
    neither of those groups appear to be 1's, both appear to be close to 2 bullet dia.

I live in northern Baltimore County which is about 20 minutes from the PA state line
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    splatter/coated targets are next to impossible to measure.
    wrong type of paper for good holes the splatter just confuses things.
    neither of those groups appear to be 1's, both appear to be close to 2 bullet dia.
    I know the splatter paper is no good, that is why I stopped using it, as I said. I have switched to regular paper, the white one with red graphics, that is the third photo. Again, as I said in my post, this is just a random group that is on my phone to show the target. I never said this was a .1 or .2 moa group. Other than a photo on my phone I have no idea what size it would be. However, it look to be about a .2 or .25 though. If I recall correctly, but I am not sure, this was taken when I was trying out some Hornady ELD match bullets as a possible replacement for the Noslerís I have been using. Oh, by the way itís the same target in both photos. One shot is just a little closer. I do thank you for responding however and do agree with your advice about the style targets. Take care.

Targets?

Anyone know of where he can buy some proper practice targets on the good paper? Last I got was from Kelbly and that was years ago. I remember the trouble I had in the beginning finding good targets.

I live in northern Baltimore County which is about 20 minutes from the PA state line
    Quote Originally Posted by hayscott View Post
    Anyone know of where he can buy some proper practice targets on the good paper? Last I got was from Kelbly and that was years ago. I remember the trouble I had in the beginning finding good targets.
    Thanks

i go to staples or such and buy paper by weight.
    currently using 67 lb vellum.
    then print on my home printer for short range targets
    just put a fresh backer behind it

Card stock

Makes nice targets on your home printer. Available @ Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by redrockranger View Post
    Makes nice targets on your home printer. Available @ Walmart.

Yes Sir!

FWIW, I think you can still buy A BR target stamp pad. Sinclair used to sellíem.
    That, and an inkpad......usually use pistol target turned over and you get 15-20 groups per sheet. Pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrw View Post
    Butch I am replacing the trigger over the winter. I figure if I can reduce my pull a bit I might be able to tighten the groups up a bit. I have already started looking into wind flags. Donít laugh, but I have been using surveyors tape on thin bamboo rods up to now.
    Just get a BR trigger that fits your action.
    Most are Rem 700 compatible.

Jewell Triggers are still very very good.

I use one on my Panda varmint rifle.
    Set at less than one ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    If five bullets went through that hole at 100 yards and that group is typical of your other groups (as implied in post # 1 above), you'll be competitive in most any match -- score or group. Take that gun to a match, have fun and let us know how you do.

BTW, I still wonder what you meant in post # 23 above, where you said you "have not shot 5, five shot groups on the same day," whereas in the next two sentences you said you typically shoot 15 groups a day. Am I misreading something?
    Feller, I think he is saying he shot 15 shots at hunter targets or 3 targets with 5 Xs or bullseye on each of the 3 targets.

Thank you everyone for all the great information, both yesterday and today. My plan is to just go shoot as soon as I find another match. I wish I could say I was shooting all day today, but the wife wanted to take a day trip. So Iím sure you all know what the chances of going shooting were. Again, thank you so much for all the people who took of their time to offer help and advise.
    Scott

Getting started in Benchrest?

Getting started in Benchrest,just for the fun?

https://www.sinclairintl.com/books-v...prod35822.aspx.

This book by Benchrest Shooter,Mike Ratigan, will lead to a life long addiction to extreme rifle accuracy.

Glenn

A plus on Glenn's suggestion on Mike's book. In my opinion it is the most complete book written on benchrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    A plus on Glenn's suggestion on Mike's book. In my opinion it is the most complete book written on benchrest.
    Thanks, Iíll order it!

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    FWIW, I think you can still buy A BR target stamp pad. Sinclair used to sellíem.
    That, and an inkpad......usually use pistol target turned over and you get 15-20 groups per sheet. Pretty easy.
    https://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...prod33159.aspx