Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haven't bought any powder in a long while

Haven't bought any powder in a long while

Changes to my life dropped my shooting by 85% and my competitive shooting pretty much to zero over the past 10 years. Other changes in my life look like I may start shooting again. I had a pretty good supply of consumables and have coasting along on that stock. Still have a lot of everything except powder, which is running skinny in a couple of classifications. A couple of years ago, I had an 8 lb jug of Varget go bad on me and just a couple of weeks ago noticed an 8# and a 1# of 133 had turned. My 130 for the 30BR will be next. All of these were from the early 2000's. And I'm starting to load for a couple of new rounds that I need powder for.

Used to be pretty easy to buy consumables, just pick them up at a match but I haven't been to a match in a few years.

Powder? Best way? I live near Pensacola, FL and it is a desert for shooting supplies. Hazmat fees still $20?
    Last edited by TomD; 10-03-2020 at 05:57 PM.

For 30BR? H4198. For PPC, LT-32.

I've had N135 go bad in my house, made a huge mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Shaw View Post
    For 30BR? H4198. For PPC, LT-32.

I've had N135 go bad in my house, made a huge mess.
    No so much what to buy but where do you buy from?

I used to live in Atlanta metro and there were a ton of retail outlets with good powder selections and I used to go to matches. Neither of these are available to me now.
    Last edited by TomD; 10-03-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Powder Valley. Not sure how much the haz mat is now.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe View Post
    Powder Valley. Not sure how much the haz mat is now.
    Sometimes, the HAZMAT fee is....

NOTHING.

Pay attention to the site, subscribe to their weekly emails to see what the current deals are.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa Yam View Post
    Sometimes, the HAZMAT fee is....

NOTHING.

Pay attention to the site, subscribe to their weekly emails to see what the current deals are.
    That's not a bad idea, thanks.

So, why would powder go bad and what sort of mess would it make?

Over the last 30 years I've only heard maybe a couple of warnings about a specific power going bad. If the container is sealed tight and kept in a cool dry place isn't it usually OK?

I always pay attention to the warnings and check my lots to see if affected.

Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    Storage in adverse conditions - hot weather comes to mind. As for consequences, SMS Karlsruhe comes to mind, as does IJN Mutsu....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Karlsruhe
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...hip_Mutsu#Loss

it is pretty simple;;;you are trying to buy very late in a buying panic caused (IMHO) by liberal politics... "protest" which are in fact looting rioting and more...anything but "protesting".
    gun sales are at near all time highs. ammo and components hard to find.
    some powders have very high demand...varget is one.
    regular primers are selling for 75/1k in some areas. pace yourself..hopefully after november things will start slowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Changes to my life dropped my shooting by 85% and my competitive shooting pretty much to zero over the past 10 years. Other changes in my life look like I may start shooting again. I had a pretty good supply of consumables and have coasting along on that stock. Still have a lot of everything except powder, which is running skinny in a couple of classifications. A couple of years ago, I had an 8 lb jug of Varget go bad on me and just a couple of weeks ago noticed an 8# and a 1# of 133 had turned. My 130 for the 30BR will be next. All of these were from the early 2000's. And I'm starting to load for a couple of new rounds that I need powder for.

Used to be pretty easy to buy consumables, just pick them up at a match but I haven't been to a match in a few years.

Powder? Best way? I live near Pensacola, FL and it is a desert for shooting supplies. Hazmat fees still $20?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    it is pretty simple;;;you are trying to buy very late in a buying panic caused (IMHO) by liberal politics... "protest" which are in fact looting rioting and more...anything but "protesting".
    gun sales are at near all time highs. ammo and components hard to find.
    Weren't any riots and such 4 years ago and eight years ago when US gun owners panic bought their country dry.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    Weren't any riots and such 4 years ago and eight years ago when US gun owners panic bought their country dry.
    It doesn't take much at all to cause a "guns and stuff" buying panic.

The Dems

had the white house 8 years ago, and Republicans work they don't riot and act like idiots. They acted as the opposition but didn't engage in any of the most absurd antics like the ones we've see in the last 3.5 years. Who would you want in charge????

Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post

Over the last 30 years I've only heard maybe a couple of warnings about a specific power going bad. If the container is sealed tight and kept in a cool dry place isn't it usually OK?

I always pay attention to the warnings and check my lots to see if affected.
    I've had a couple cans of IMR7828 "go bad" which produced an orange dust, but no other issues. Used it for lawn fertilizer.

how are those rose colored glasses working for you?
    wilbur says no politics,so post must comply.
    the facts are most americans panic at the thought of liberal politics running their lives...gun sales, ammo sales then component sales sky rocket.12 years ago, 8 years ago,4 years ago...and now.
    ( ps they lost 4 years ago and the "peaceful protests"...riots is their current tactic)