Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New A&D scale.

New A&D scale.

A&D has just released product information on a new scale that is suitable for precision weighing of powder charges. The resolution in grams is .0002 grams. My guess is that they set the grain resolution to .005 grains. The retail price is $495, so the actual price you pay will be considerably less. Right now, my best guess is that I can sell these for around $325 if anyone is interested.

https://precision.andonline.com/ej-5...ource=hs_email

Thanks, Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A&D scale.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	968.1 KB 
ID:	23977  

Just my luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mturner View Post
    A&D has just released product information on a new scale that is suitable for precision weighing of powder charges. The resolution in grams is .0002 grams. My guess is that they set the grain resolution to .005 grains. The retail price is $495, so the actual price you pay will be considerably less. Right now, my best guess is that I can sell these for around $325 if anyone is interested.

https://precision.andonline.com/ej-5...ource=hs_email

Thanks, Michael
    I recently bought a $1600. unit!

Pete

magnetic dampening ? response time
    120v power source or ??

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    magnetic dampening ? response time
    120v power source or ??
    Most A&D scales have magnetic damping, or electromagnetic force restoration. If the response time is not listed in the link, then I can't say. This is a new product, and information may be limited. All of the A&D scales I have sold are 120V and 240V power, and some can also use batteries. This model will also run 80 hours from 4 AA batteries without backlight.

Michael
    Last edited by mturner; 09-05-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Most A&D scales have magnetic damping, or electromagnetic force restoration. If the response time is not listed in the link, then I can't say.
    I have an A&D GF series balance, it uses electromagnetic force restoration. In "live animal" weighing mode, stabilization occurs in about 1.5 seconds. That's pretty quick for weights down to .02 grains (resolving limit for measurements in grains.) "Stabilization Time" of the GF is listed as ~1 second. Response time of the EJ is ~ 5 seconds, which is a lot slower.

Resolution of the EJ-123 model is 0.02 Grains, according to page 40 of the manual ("Other Weighing Units", https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/20...66017217258250).

Wonder how well the EJ works with an autotrickler unit?
    Last edited by Asa Yam; 09-06-2020 at 01:11 AM.

I looked at the features PDF and unless I misunderstood the abreviation, SG refers to strain gauge. Personally I would never invest that much in a SG scale.

Should work great at the range

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    I looked at the features PDF and unless I misunderstood the abreviation, SG refers to strain gauge. Personally I would never invest that much in a SG scale.
    Why?
    Not A trick question, Iím looking for some education here.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Why?
    Because for not that much more, I could have a magnetic force restoration scale.
    https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/store/shopCart.aspx

basically old school not current technology.
    faster more stable
    its why we sold our mx123's and bought fx120i's
    sort of
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post

If this is what you are referring to, it has nothing to do with strain gauge.

Multiple units of measure: g, oz, lb, ozt, ct, mom, dwt, gr, N, pcs, (counting mode) and % (percent mode), in addition to SG (density mode)*7

Best way to determine the technology, call A&D.

Michael
    Last edited by mturner; 09-08-2020 at 12:32 PM.

If this is what you are referring to, it has nothing to do with strain gauge.

Multiple units of measure: g, oz, lb, ozt, ct, mom, dwt, gr, N, pcs, (counting mode) and % (percent mode), in addition to SG (density mode)*7

Best way to determine the technology, call A&D.

Michael
    I just got off of the phone with them and it is strain gauge.

From the brochure:
    When Your Budget Is Tight but Precision is Non-Negotiable... Forget about those expensive electromagnetic force restoration *1 balances. A&Dís latest load cell technology employed in the EJ series now challenges their expensive offerings. A&D enables a way to spend less without compromising on precision... or functional convenience!

I will say this, based on a crazy cheap Chinese scale that is better than any previous strain gauge scale I have used, huge advances in this technology have been made, so it may be that the differences between the two have become a lot smaller.

[QUOTE=mturner;838120]A&D has just released product information on a new scale that is suitable for precision weighing of powder charges. The resolution in grams is .0002 grams. My guess is that they set the grain resolution to .005 grains. The retail price is $495, so the actual price you pay will be considerably less. Right now, my best guess is that I can sell these for around $325 if anyone is interested./QUOTE]

The scale that has the .0002 gram resolution has a max capacity of 22 grams. That's about 339 grains. .0002 grams = .003 grains
    The FX-120i has a capacity of 122 grams about 1883 grains and a resolution of .001 = .015 grains.
    I have the V3 Auto Scale setup for my FX-120i and if I set the scale to run in grams, I can usually keep the drops +/- .001 grams which gives me a +/- .015 grains with VV 133.

Either way you're way less than a tenth of a grain.

Iíd bet with a strain gauge youíre back to filtering power and lights and whatever else. The only thing that drifts my FX120 is the A/C. If you need that kind of accuracy buy once and be done with a proven scale.