Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I couldnt stand it any longer

I couldnt stand it any longer

My previous posts from a few months ago in regards to a used benchrest rifle for sale at my local range has come home. Its a SGY rifle on a Stolle Panda and Speedy stock. Came with a 36x Leupold Suffix B (1994). The barrel has very little throat wear and no gator skin. BUT, Its not chambered with my reamer and I need to update that I think. My neck is .268 and it has a .263 now. If Im real lucky the chamber size at the base will be the same or smaller than my reamer so I can ream another .050 deeper or so and then set the shoulder back to get my headspace. ORRRR. should I just shoot it as is and mess with 2 sets of brass?
    The gun called to me in the night and awoke me at times so as I couldnt sleep. It may be I need some medicine or talk therapy about the talking gun but Im not overly concerned yet. It had been converted in my dreams to a 30 br with the bases turned to a ppc boltface. Is this common to the bench shooting public?
    Wally

Quote Originally Posted by WallyDog View Post
    It had been converted in my dreams to a 30 br with the bases turned to a ppc boltface. Is this common to the bench shooting public?
    Wally
    Another possibility is to make it a 30 Grendel which uses the 6.5 Grendel case.

Randy Robinett uses the PPC bolt face in his original Time Precision actioned 30BR and rebates rims with a cutter. Maybe he'll post a pic of it.

I'd opt for the rebated BR case. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post

Randy Robinett uses the PPC bolt face in his original Time Precision actioned 30BR and rebates rims with a cutter. Maybe he'll post a pic of it.

Good idea. My tool grinder made Randy's for him. Works Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Roger this - Butch was kind enough to, first, loan me his rebating tool, then, once I found how much better it was (compared to my old tool), put me in touch with his "tool grinder", so I could get my own. It's a simple design and works great for rebating all sorts of case-heads/rims - one plunge and done! I rebate PPC to .222; .308 to PPC; and .404 Jeffery to Std. magnum diameters. Hey, Wally, did I mention, I do it to within 0.000005" diameter . . . . ?!? Well, ok, maybe +/- 0.001" . . . RG

Old School Here

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Roger this - Butch was kind enough to, first, loan me his rebating tool, then, once I found how much better it was (compared to my old tool), put me in touch with his "tool grinder", so I could get my own. It's a simple design and works great for rebating all sorts of case-heads/rims - one plunge and done! I rebate PPC to .222; .308 to PPC; and .404 Jeffery to Std. magnum diameters. Hey, Wally, did I mention, I do it to within 0.000005" diameter . . . . ?!? Well, ok, maybe +/- 0.001" . . . RG
    Its great to have the right tooling isnt it? Working to 3 microns takes a steady hand for sure! lol. I have all kinds of oddball HS lathe cutters I can surely make work. Plus I do have a Gorton tool grinder that I use to make cutters by hand the old school way. Ill be happy to hold .002 so its all good here in Hammer Jockey Central. Thanks for the advice.
    Wally

Dog gone it!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post

Now I have to look up 30 Grendel. It never ends does it Al?

when 6ppc first came out a score shooter by name flyod stoner cut his ppc cases to fit 222 bolt face i later did brs tpo fit 6pps bolt face

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    when 6ppc first came out a score shooter by name flyod stoner cut his ppc cases to fit 222 bolt face i later did brs tpo fit 6pps bolt face
    fyold stoner if you are still around hello BILL BRAWAND.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post

Yeah, I have some of Red Cornelison's brass that started as Remington 6BR brass, shortened .10, rebated to 222, necked down, and step in the neck for the bullet to sit on. He started with the BR brass that Remington produced without flash holes. Red experimented with different flash holes. 17HMR? Red was shooting them years before they were introduced. Federal supplied him with rimfire brass without powder. Red made the dies to neck it down to 17 and had a winning RF until they eliminated jacketed bullets. I have a few of those left. I did sell the case of Federal RF brass that Red had.

Yeah, I have some of Red Cornelison's brass that started as Remington 6BR brass, shortened .10, rebated to 222, necked down, and step in the neck for the bullet to sit on. He started with the BR brass that Remington produced without flash holes. Red experimented with different flash holes.
    https://benchrest.com/showthread.php...g-BR-case-rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	23966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	23965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rebate_head.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	23967  
    Last edited by WSnyder; 09-01-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by butch lambert View Post
    yeah, i have some of red cornelison's brass that started as remington 6br brass, shortened .10, rebated to 222, necked down, and step in the neck for the bullet to sit on. He started with the br brass that remington produced without flash holes. Red experimented with different flash holes. 17hmr? Red was shooting them years before they were introduced. Federal supplied him with rimfire brass without powder. Red made the dies to neck it down to 17 and had a winning rf until they eliminated jacketed bullets. I have a few of those left. I did sell the case of federal rf brass that red had.
    had a talk with red at a match once he was using this case killing turtles in his pond off his porch

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by butch lambert View Post
    good idea. My tool grinder made randy's for him. Works great.
    put mine in collet in lave and turned them .

Thumbs up

Yeah, I have some of Red Cornelison's brass that started as Remington 6BR brass, shortened .10, rebated to 222, necked down, and step in the neck for the bullet to sit on. He started with the BR brass that Remington produced without flash holes. Red experimented with different flash holes. 17HMR? Red was shooting them years before they were introduced. Federal supplied him with rimfire brass without powder. Red made the dies to neck it down to 17 and had a winning RF until they eliminated jacketed bullets. I have a few of those left. I did sell the case of Federal RF brass that Red had.
    Cool 'stuff' here - few experiment these days! Thank you, Butch! Rebated, or standard, the .22BR, minus .100 to .200" is a "killer good" cartridge capacity range! I like mine -.200". Wayne S, thank you for posting the pic - looks just like the one Butch got for me. RG
    Last edited by R.G. Robinett; 09-01-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Randy, he posted my old photos.
    Bill, whose porch was Red on?

Randy, he posted my old photos.
    Bill, whose porch was Red on?
    red was on his porch. shooting down at turtlesinhis pond as i understood.