Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Primer pockets

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northshore
    Posts
    387

    Primer pockets

    Has anyone tested if a loose primer pocket will stay in the group with tight ones?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    Posts
    708
    Bigger concern might be the gases getting paste the primer and then damaging the face of a bolt. Not something that I have personally experienced but have heard being talked about. What I have personally witnessed is the face of a breech block being severely damaged when using pistol primers instead of large rifle in my own competitive shooting sport.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,285
    I can answer the question as asked. Yes, it will.

    I didn't experience this just once but rather many times.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Third Tomb of Chritianity
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Bigger concern might be the gases getting paste the primer and then damaging the face of a bolt. ...........

    THIS ^^^

    Experienced it first hand many years ago when using steel bushings to reduce LR to SR on 308 Win and 250 Ackley. That was wayyyyyyyy before Lapua Palma SR 308 brass.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northshore
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I can answer the question as asked. Yes, it will.

    I didn't experience this just once but rather many times.
    Thanks Wilbur. I couldn’t figure out how to word the question without taking up the whole page. Not talking about primers that can fall out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,900
    I might as well throw 95% of my PPC cases away after 3 firings.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 08-19-2020 at 10:12 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I can answer the question as asked. Yes, it will.

    I didn't experience this just once but rather many times.
    Wilbur, glad to see your back. So much answer in so few words

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northshore
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I might as well throw 95% of my PPC cases away after 3 firings.
    Smiley faces says it all. Thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I might as well throw 95% of my PPC cases away after 3 firings.
    I found that new Lapua Br. cases maybe a 1/3 are fairly loose with Feds..... jim

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,285

    I'll ask a question...

    If you were winning and discovered your primers were leaking and pitting your bolt face...would you stop doing whatever you were doing to save your bolt face?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,790

    I have plenty of Federal 205Ms

    Quote Originally Posted by jim1K View Post
    I found that new Lapua Br. cases maybe a 1/3 are fairly loose with Feds..... jim
    and find the current ones a bear to seat in the primer pockets with my K&M primer tool...I mean I have to use a lot of force to get them into the pockets. I switched back to BR4s and they seat with normal resistance and are easily felt when they hit the pocket bottom. Remington 7 1/2 the same as BR4s. If it wasn't for the SR primer unavailability I would sell them in a heart beat. I never used to have this problem with Federals until about a year ago.

    I bought a brick of 205s small rifle. when I got them home the individual sleeves were all marked small pistol. They do appear to be small pistol primers in the wrong box. I emailed Federal about it asking for a switch and never heard a word from them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,790

    My answer

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    If you were winning and discovered your primers were leaking and pitting your bolt face...would you stop doing whatever you were doing to save your bolt face?
    I would try other primer brands or make new cases rather than risk a top notch shooting rifle's $650 bolt. No guarantees that a new bolt will make the rifle shoot as well. $650 bolts are not on my list of benchrest consumables.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    and find the current ones a bear to seat in the primer pockets with my K&M primer tool...I mean I have to use a lot of force to get them into the pockets. I switched back to BR4s and they seat with normal resistance and are easily felt when they hit the pocket bottom. Remington 7 1/2 the same as BR4s. If it wasn't for the SR primer unavailability I would sell them in a heart beat. I never used to have this problem with Federals until about a year ago.

    I bought a brick of 205s small rifle. when I got them home the individual sleeves were all marked small pistol. They do appear to be small pistol primers in the wrong box. I emailed Federal about it asking for a switch and never heard a word from them.
    May not be the Fed primers, new Lapua cases have kind of went down hill. I have lots of 6 BR. where the Flash holes are well over .0625 and primer pockets loose as a goose. 220 Russians seem to have smaller flash holes .059 and tighter primer pockets.... jim

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    If you were winning...would you stop doing whatever you were doing to save your bolt face?
    Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    [My answer] I would try other primer brands or make new cases rather than risk a top notch shooting rifle's $650 bolt
    Gary, I'm not sure that you answered Wilbur's question; does your answer assume that your rifle is "winning" and pitting the bolt face at the same time? What if you were winning at the SS?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,790

    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Gary, I'm not sure that you answered Wilbur's question; does your answer assume that your rifle is "winning" and pitting the bolt face at the same time? What if you were winning at the SS?
    I would finish the SS and then find the problem with the primers or cases that is causing bolt face erosion. If your car was leaking transmission fluid you would find the source of the problem and fix it rather than wreck your transmission?
    Last edited by glp; 08-28-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •