Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle brakes!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleB View Post
    Apparently you don't quite understand........change in POI does not mean any accuracy is lost or the group size opens.
    It means you have to re-zero your scope after a muzzle brake is installed. pretty simple really
    I do quite understand. When POI fails to coincide with POA then you've lost accuracy. In this case it's easily corrected however.

I Change my accuracy with a change of my four ounce barrel tuner with a repositioning of only .100 inch. Now tell me hanging a muzzle break wonít change my accuracy. Iíd love to hear it. You may have to tune your load again to regain accuracy and you may be able to regain it but you will definitely be out of tune or inaccurate until that time. Convince me Iím wrong as Iíve been here for a long time. Oh wait, Itís Antelope Dundee. Just drive over to Madrid, Iowa and listen to a lesson from Randy Robinett,
    Last edited by FBecigneul; 08-17-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    I Change my accuracy with a change of my four ounce barrel tuner with a repositioning of only .100 inch. Now tell me hanging a muzzle break wonít change my accuracy. Iíd love to hear it. You may have to tune your load again to regain accuracy and you may be able to regain it but you will definitely be out of tune or inaccurate until that time. Convince me Iím wrong as Iíve been here for a long time. Oh wait, Itís Antelope Dundee. Just drive over to Madrid, Iowa and listen to a lesson from Randy Robinett,
    I made no claim about a muzzle brake changing or not changing accuracy. Someone else someplace else made the blanket statement that they do so I'm only asking from those who have experience with them if it was true or not. The majority seem to say that they shift POI. I have no interest in using one myself. When I drive over to Madrid it will be to pick up some powder.

BTW are you talking about changing group size [which would be precision] or POI?

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    I made no claim about a muzzle brake changing or not changing accuracy. Someone else someplace else made the blanket statement that they do so I'm only asking from those who have experience with them if it was true or not. The majority seem to say that they shift POI. I have no interest in using one myself. When I drive over to Madrid it will be to pick up some powder.

BTW are you talking about changing group size [which would be precision] or POI?

Why ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Why ask?
    Why not? I asked a simple question. Does adding a muzzle brake affect accuracy? How fricken hard is it to give a simple yes or no answer?

Why not? I asked a simple question. Does adding a muzzle brake affect accuracy? How fricken hard is it to give a simple yes or no answer?

Chuckle chuckle, doesn't take much to get your goat.

Smile Repete, Chuckle chuckle!

Yes, chuckle chuckle!

Come to think of it, every time I change my scope it effects my accuracy and I even have to re-zero. But then, removing my scope alone, really does effects my accuracy. Chuckle chuckle!

No offense meant.

Concho Bill

Obviously you don't know.

To answer your original question as simply as I can so youíll understand......Yes

Obviously you don't know.

Oh yes I do.

NO, it doesn't change accuracy, only changes point of impact do to the added weight on the muzzle same as a tuner.... One more thing a brake stops in the bags quicker... now I thought there was rule against that. ??? ..... jim
    Last edited by jim1K; 08-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Remember a guy who had a SureFire brake installed on his gun and spent a hell of a time to tune back to accuracy.

At the first trials, a 12 gauge 00 buck shot was more accurate than his rifle.

He had to use various shims to movet the brake forward and forward and re-re-re-tune his loading every time, and he finally get back to his nice accurate gun.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    Remember a guy who had a SureFire brake installed on his gun and spent a hell of a time to tune back to accuracy.

He had to use various shims to movet the brake forward and forward and re-re-re-tune his loading every time, and he finally get back to his nice accurate gun.
    What article did you read this?

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post

Most of use don't rely on reading articles, we test for ourselves and a brake does not hurt accuracy only hearing ask me how I know...... jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim1K View Post
    Most of use don't rely on reading articles, we test for ourselves and a brake does not hurt accuracy only hearing ask me how I know...... jim
    You just hit on the biggest problem that I have with muzzle brakes. When I am at the rifle range I always use my ear protectors but I still hate to have someone shooting near me with a muzzle brake. The noise is is just too much. I would rather have the recoil. The recoil is less harmful than the additional noise.