Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireform 6PPC/6Beggs

Fireform 6PPC/6Beggs

I don't have a separate fireform barrel. As I have more than a case of Bullseye I was thinking of using that for fireforming using a felt pellet covered with dental wax to seal. I know some people use Cream of Wheat on top of the powder but I was thinking the felt pellet might work better. Am I entering a dangerous area trying this?

Quote Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
    I don't have a separate fireform barrel. As I have more than a case of Bullseye I was thinking of using that for fireforming using a felt pellet covered with dental wax to seal. I know some people use Cream of Wheat on top of the powder but I was thinking the felt pellet might work better. Am I entering a dangerous area trying this?
    I've never used felt pellets but, is this a Beggs or a PPC? No fire forming per se to a Beggs.

like all loads start low and work up.
    a felt pellet is weight, adds resistance, may add pressure quicker
    i shoot pretty much powder only

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    I've never used felt pellets but, is this a Beggs or a PPC? No fire forming per se to a Beggs.
    Primarily a 6PPC. As far as the 6 Beggs goes, Gene sent me an email and said to fireform load 20grains of VV133 in the case, seat a bullet and shoot.

Cool

primarily a 6ppc. As far as the 6 beggs goes, gene sent me an email and said to fireform load 20grains of vv133 in the case, seat a bullet and shoot.
    use little amt. Of play dow

I would not use Bullseye for the Beggs, but for the PPC, in the past, I have filled the .220 Russian cases half way up the shoulder with Bullseye and used a 3/4" square of ordinary kitchen towel as a plug. I center the square on the case mouth and use long leg of a small Allen wrench to push it in the neck until it is flush. Works for me. This is very loud and heats the barrel a lot, so go very slow. Bring another rifle to the range to play with, and alternate so that you don't become impatient and toast your barrel. Remember Bullseye has a lot nitroglycerine in it and so a high flame temp. For that reason, with a good barrel I do not use it, only with a dedicated fire forming barrel. With no fire forming barrel I recommend just using regular ppc weight bullets and powders.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    ........... With no fire forming barrel I recommend just using regular ppc weight bullets and powders.

I used the powder and wax plugg once at my "beginnings", to form 220R to PPC. I did not like the result at all.

I has that feeling of waisting my time at the range. It is time consuming, that is no training.

Then I had to spend a hell of a time to clean the wax build up from the barrel.

Then I did not like the headspace distribution. It was not concistent, and my guess is that either the play of the rim inside the extractor claw or the progressive wax build-up bring some variation.

For a long time now, I fire form with a bullet seated very hard in the lands, pushed back at bolt closure, high neck tension and regular powder for the caliber/bullet weight mix. There is always a load strong enough to get good forming and that works correct enough so I can "shoot for real" at the bench while forming. OK it's not shooting in the 1's, but it's good enough to show you that you did or did not not pay enough attention to ... something. It is training for real.

I have found headspace to be much more consistent that way.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    I used the powder and wax plugg once at my "beginnings", to form 220R to PPC. I did not like the result at all.

I has that feeling of waisting my time at the range. It is time consuming, that is no training.

Then I had to spend a hell of a time to clean the wax build up from the barrel.

Then I did not like the headspace distribution. It was not concistent, and my guess is that either the play of the rim inside the extractor claw or the progressive wax build-up bring some variation.

For a long time now, I fire form with a bullet seated very hard in the lands, pushed back at bolt closure, high neck tension and regular powder for the caliber/bullet weight mix. There is always a load strong enough to get good forming and that works correct enough so I can "shoot for real" at the bench while forming. OK it's not shooting in the 1's, but it's good enough to show you that you did or did not not pay enough attention to ... something. It is training for real.

I have found headspace to be much more consistent that way.

I use a case full of Bullseye and a wax plug in a fireform barrel. I do no neck turning or other prep before the first my first fireform. This thread is another chebbie vs. ferde thread. "By God, My way is right and the rest of you are fools"!

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    ............ This thread is another chebbie vs. ferde thread. "By God, My way is right and the rest of you are fools"!

I do not pretend to hold the Truth in any way. Just bring my 0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    I do not pretend to hold the Truth in any way. Just bring my 0.02.

Thank you olive erl. Some are worth .02 and some more or less. How many people learned anything?

I use a case full of Bullseye and a wax plug in a fireform barrel. I do no neck turning or other prep before the first my first fireform. This thread is another chebbie vs. ferde thread. "By God, My way is right and the rest of you are fools"!
    Who is "chebbie" and "ferde"? Sounds like names for a couple of water buffalo.

Evidently you've never owned or driven a chebbie or ferde. How about a derge?

Blue Sky thought

I tried the bullseye and wax plug some time ago and had this thought, at the time, for this type of fire forming. Instead of using a rifle with a "fireform" barrel mounted, why not a "fixture" with a 6 inch or so barrel stub of the appropriate caliber. I'm seeing a rudimentary falling block action type of design. Cut a chamber with the desired reamer and you're good to go. Clamp it to the bench and fire it with a hammer. Barrel stubs could be easily changed for different cases. Just a thought. Probably this idea has been considered and discarded long ago but I never asked anyone about it. So tell me, would it be feasible?

Evidently you've never owned or driven a chebbie or ferde. How about a derge?
    Not only have I driven all of those but as a kid I drove a herdson.

I tried the bullseye and wax plug some time ago and had this thought, at the time, for this type of fire forming. Instead of using a rifle with a "fireform" barrel mounted, why not a "fixture" with a 6 inch or so barrel stub of the appropriate caliber. I'm seeing a rudimentary falling block action type of design. Cut a chamber with the desired reamer and you're good to go. Clamp it to the bench and fire it with a hammer. Barrel stubs could be easily changed for different cases. Just a thought. Probably this idea has been considered and discarded long ago but I never asked anyone about it. So tell me, would it be feasible?
    Jerry, I believe Jackie does or did this for fire forming.