Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rifle Woes

Try it with flags and different ammo. Factory match ammo has to match the rifle or it wonít work well Barrels and bullets have to agree with each other. 4 and ones are notoriously shooter error and you could be wishing it in but getting sloppy and not paying attention to execution.

Ol' Beggs again.

Justin, I've been following your thread with interest as I have been there. I think I can help.
    I have been a short-range benchrester for over thirty years with a reasonable degree of success.
    What you are experiencing with your Rem 700 308 is very common with accuracy minded shooters that are expecting too much from their equipment. If you are getting 3 in 2 out, and 4 in one out with an occasional .7 moa flier, you may not realize it but you are getting excellent accuracy with your equipment. In order to improve on that, you will have to move on up to all out benchrest equipment to include;

1. Custom built benchrest rifle chambered in a BR cartridge.
    2. Benchrest quality front rest and rear bag.
    3. 36 or greater power target scope with appropriate reticle. ( I prefer 1/16 dot)
    4. Benchrest quality and proven custom made bullets. (Bart's are hard to beat; so are Berger)
    5. And the list goes on and on forever,,,

What you need now is a very experienced and knowledgeable mentor and CA has quite a number of those. Take a drive over to Phoenix and attend one of their BR matches at Ben Avery. Get acquainted with them and ask a lot of questions. They will be glad to help you.

Move on up to short range BR. You won't believe what you will learn in the first year. Keep and enjoy that fine Rem 700 sporting rifle but in order to obtain the accuracy you really want; take up real BR.

Sincerely,

Gene Beggs
    Odessa, TX 79762

Some have missed that Justin has been around this game for several years. He does know how to turn on a lathe. He will appreciate any help offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Some have missed that Justin has been around this game for several years. He does know how to turn on a lathe. He will appreciate any help offered.

Butch, thanks for reminding me that Justin is not a newcomer to shooting and machine work. I hope he did not think I was putting him down by suggesting that he accept his 308 sporting rifle's accuracy for what it was designed for. If one has not been involved in extreme accuracy in the past few years, there is a whole new world of discoveries to be made. I have to remember that there are other forms of shooting and levels of accuracy besides benchrest.

Thanks for the input.

Gene Beggs

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Beggs View Post
    Butch, thanks for reminding me that Justin is not a newcomer to shooting and machine work. I hope he did not think I was putting him down by suggesting that he accept his 308 sporting rifle's accuracy for what it was designed for. If one has not been involved in extreme accuracy in the past few years, there is a whole new world of discoveries to be made. I have to remember that there are other forms of shooting and levels of accuracy besides benchrest.

Thanks for the input.

Gene Beggs
    Gene, You know I wouldn't put you down. Your knowledge has helped a lot of folks!

Mr. Beggs,

No offense taken. I've always thought you to be one of the most knowledgeable about rifle accuracy on this forum, as well as one of the classiest posters around. I pay attention when you speak.

And maybe you're right about expecting too much from this rifle. But, I've been an accuracy type since the early 90's, and have played with a few rifles, particularly "tactical" type 308's during my high speed-low drag SWAT days, and I just think this rifle wants to shoot better than it currently does.

I don't think it's the ammo. I've shot a pile of Federal Gold Medal match down the tubes of several rifles and, given a solid gun, it will shoot well. Same thing with Hornady TAP. In fact, I spoke with the chaps at the FBI firearms lab one day and they said that the TAP ammo was the most accurate factory ammo they have ever tested. Say what you will about the Bureau, but they have the wherewithal and the budget to do meaningful accuracy testing, and the cat I talked to knew his sh!t. He was an accuracy wacko like the rest of us (plus he liked side-by-side shotguns...that's always worth credibility points in my book).

I still have concerns about the ignition system...particularly the lightened firing pin. But as nobody has commented on my light firing pin hypothesis, I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I did find something else of note today, though. I had the rifle out of the stock and noted a HUGE burr around the front action screw hole, and a smaller burr around the rear one. The burr on the front action screw hole was big enough that it was deforming the aluminum pillar in the stock. A couple of minutes with a needle file and a stone took care of the burrs, and the bedding checked OK afterwards. Why I didn't notice the burr prior...it could be seen from outer space...I don't know. Probably because I assumed somebody at the factory would have bit more pride in their work and wouldn't leave a burr big enough to draw blood. If nothing else, this rifle has taught me to take NOTHING for granted when dealing with a factory, mass produced action, which is a good lesson learned.

Justin

[QUOTE=Gene Beggs;836532]Justin, I've been following your thread with interest as I have been there. I think I can help.
    I have been a short-range benchrester for over thirty years with a reasonable degree of success.
    What you are experiencing with your Rem 700 308 is very common with accuracy minded shooters that are expecting too much from their equipment. If you are getting 3 in 2 out, and 4 in one out with an occasional .7 moa flier, you may not realize it but you are getting excellent accuracy with your equipment. In order to improve on that, you will have to move on up to all out benchrest equipment to include;

1. Custom built benchrest rifle chambered in a BR cartridge.
    2. Benchrest quality front rest and rear bag.
    3. 36 or greater power target scope with appropriate reticle. ( I prefer 1/16 dot)
    4. Benchrest quality and proven custom made bullets. (Bart's are hard to beat; so are Berger)
    5. And the list goes on and on forever,,,

What you need now is a very experienced and knowledgeable mentor and CA has quite a number of those. Take a drive over to Phoenix and attend one of their BR matches at Ben Avery. Get acquainted with them and ask a lot of questions. They will be glad to help you.

Move on up to short range BR. You won't believe what you will learn in the first year. Keep and enjoy that fine Rem 700 sporting rifle but in order to obtain the accuracy you really want; take up real BR.

Sincerely,

Gene Beggs
    Odessa, TX 79762[/QUOT

Gene that is a very good and true statement Post.
    Chet

Justin, On my DS Bat, Dwight added a tungsten weight to the firing pin. Try a heavier pin.

Justin, On my DS Bat, Dwight added a tungsten weight to the firing pin. Try a heavier pin.

Butch,

Thinking about doing just that.

How did Dwight add the weight? Drill out the arse end and plug it with the tungsten?

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    Butch,

Thinking about doing just that.

How did Dwight add the weight? Drill out the arse end and plug it with the tungsten?

Justin
    Just back in town. It is a small cylinder that slips over the firing pin behind the spring.

Just back in town. It is a small cylinder that slips over the firing pin behind the spring.
    Butch,

Thank you,sir.

Justin

Is this a repeater? Iíd double check that the trigger housing isnít hitting the trigger guard and if a repeater the mag box floats a tad. Iíve run into that issue occasionally.