Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sorry State of Affairs

A Sorry State of Affairs

I think the next-to-last paragraph in this article is "spot-on" >>> https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...r-he-must-act/

I'm not so sure about the National Guard unless it is a limited role.I think it was the guard that fired on students during a war protest and the s#$t hit the fan. Just my thought and I have no answers.

The government is doing exactly what it's supposed to do..... it's following the will of the people.

Sorry to break the news Hunter but AMERICA WORKS ....... grunt all you want about it but a representative republic WORKS perfectly,
    we get what we vote for. And every whiney putz who mumbles on about "they should do something" is an ineffectual boob.

The people in power won't "do anything to stop it" because they'll lose their electorate...they ARE representing their electorate.

Aitn't never nobody else's fault, it's OUR fault......WE VOTED FOR THIS!

WE as in US... bunch of lazy-ass no-votin' punks

If we don't get out and vote in the next election .....well I dont even want to think about the results, doing so makes me want to puke.

Mort

What's really sad is the up bringing of some of these younger folks. Where we're their parents during that time and why were they so willing to let their children's educational system be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    What's really sad is the up bringing of some of these younger folks. Where we're their parents during that time and why were they so willing to let their children's educational system be destroyed.
    My generation is "those parents"..... and we SUCK at raising kids! WE, the folks getting married and raising families in the '70's/'80's/'90's have produced a generation of children who truly believe in rainbow stew and The Big Rock Candy Mountain.

What I'm saying is, it ain't even really their fault.... my generation failed utterly to pass on to them what our parents gave us.

My parent's generation VOTED for everything, and went to council meetings and township meetings and volunteered on the School Board

Half the so-called "conservative" or worse yet "libertarian" people of the age of 40/50/60yrs old now don't even vote for POTUS, don't know what a primary is.

Lazy-Ass Losers, us..... we taught our kids to whine because WE whine...... "somebody's gotta' DO something!"

"somebody ELSE....."

Won't argue that Al and I am in that group but that is not how I rasied my own. Sad part is the Schools were doing just the opposite and there was not much that I could do about that on my own. Except to pull them out of School and that is what I finally did with my son. That was a fight all of its own they the School District said it couldn't be done. Thanks to a letter from my Family Doctor after I explained to him what was going I was able to get him on home studies and on a Medical release.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    My generation is "those parents"..... and we SUCK at raising kids! WE, the folks getting married and raising families in the '70's/'80's/'90's have produced a generation of children who truly believe in rainbow stew and The Big Rock Candy Mountain.

What I'm saying is, it ain't even really their fault.... my generation failed utterly to pass on to them what our parents gave us.

My parent's generation VOTED for everything, and went to council meetings and township meetings and volunteered on the School Board

Half the so-called "conservative" or worse yet "libertarian" people of the age of 40/50/60yrs old now don't even vote for POTUS, don't know what a primary is.

Lazy-Ass Losers, us..... we taught our kids to whine because WE whine...... "somebody's gotta' DO something!"

"somebody ELSE....."
    That was the Doctor Spock generation...1960ís!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    Yes sir it was! I remember my wife telling me about a lady scolding her for discipline she was dishing out to one of my sons. This was in the 60s. She told the lady she would whip her azz after she got done with our son. The 3 boys are grown with grown children and we are blessed with 2 Great Grand Daughters. Our family is conservative and vote.
    Yes, I'm very proud of them.

National Guard - Kent State University, in answer to the earlier post. It was a protest against the Vietnam War. In those days for us males , if you didn't have acceptance to a college or some other type of deferment you were littlerly whisked away right after HS graduation to boot camp if your Draft # had been called. A very stressful time for a lot of us. Personally I had a work deferment but would still get picked up by the miltary police and end up in some god forsaken boot camp until I could get someone to actually read my paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    National Guard - Kent State University, in answer to the earlier post. It was a protest against the Vietnam War. In those days for us males , if you didn't have acceptance to a college or some other type of deferment you were littlerly whisked away right after HS graduation to boot camp if your Draft # had been called. A very stressful time for a lot of us. Personally I had a work deferment but would still get picked up by the miltary police and end up in some god forsaken boot camp until I could get someone to actually read my paperwork.

And your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    My Mom had Dr Spock and the wimmen would set around and compare notes....

My Dad basically wanted to burn it, and the men spent their time at home countering Spock

I DO feel that he is responsible, Jerry is right. He buggered up a generation of confused mothers....

Luckily there were a few men back then who had "backbone" and my Dad was one of them. We got spanked. The spankings were real, and I will absolutely spank a kid, now it'd be a grandkid, to this day.

BUT!!

And this is an important BUT!!

If a parent spanks their child in anger, that is a criminal act. Spanking in anger is child abuse. Hitting a kid when angry is abusive in any generation, AND THE KID WINS.... which is doubly abusive. This is a simple concept which liberal humans will never understand, in fact half of my friends and even a couple my sisters flat-out call me a liar in this regard.

something I'm used to......

I've earned it

And I find the folks on this board to be pretty much in line with my life findings.....

During the '40s after the war and through the Korean War physical punishment was accepted....to a point. Not just at home but at school, you could get rapped across the top of your hand with a ruler by your teacher. For fighting, you would be sent to the principal's office.

Our principal was a heavy set older woman who wore dark clothes and had white hair. You would get a lecture and then both of us had to hold out our hands and got whacked with a blackboard pointer...ouch!

Some people now think this was/is terrible but those were my early lessons about being accountable for your actions. You knew the rules.

In high school gym class, you would get the paddle for profanity or towel fights after showering. The paddles were made in the woodshop and were shaped like a tennis racket with a short handle.

The coach's office was mostly glass so when you got the paddle your classmates would be pressed against the glass and giving you the raspberries. If you got it more than once you got to sign the paddle.

At one of our class reunions our coach showed up and read the names that were on the paddle. My name didn't come up...I guess I'm just a quick learner.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 06-05-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Hopefully it's allowed if not please delete it. I think it's worth being made aware of and it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings and not the intent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
    Last edited by Louis.J; 06-06-2020 at 02:24 PM.

I got the paddle twice once by the teacher in front of the class. The other time by the principal and both times in the ass. Slow learner I guess but that was enough to keep me from getting number three. I earned it and deserved it and have no complaints and actually think it made a better and more respectful person out of me.