Thread: The Good Lord done give me another Freeby today :)

The Good Lord done give me another Freeby today :)

Or maybe a shoutout for Stihl saws for making an idiot-proof saw!!

I was out trimming and setting some target poles on the range today....... decided to lop off a couple 8" trees where I'd hung a metal gong. The chain was growing into the trees, the trees are junk alders, so I decided to lop them and leave the gong in place.

I'd just sharpened the chain on the Stihl 661Magnum, she's not even FEELING the wood...... like cutting butter......

I decided to (comfortably, full wrap handle) reach up and slice the two trees about 6" above the chains.

Back cut
    notch
    felling cut

the tree starts to go and I (comfortably) stepped back and let the saw sag as I drew back.

something went 'tik' and something flew up and tickled the back of my hand.

I stood back and watched as the tree landed exactly on the pile

Stepped back in for the next cut and something was hanging up in the blackberries........ I looked down to see about 4ft of chain dragging in the prickers......and my hand welling red.

NO gloves
    NO chaps
    NO kevlar A'tall..... my kids would have scolded me.....

Turns out there was a tag-end of 3/8 chain hidden in the puckerbrush.....just enough mass to derail the chain

That saw had stopped DEAD when the chain came off and the stopped chain flipped up and tapped the back of my hand. The handle wasn't tripped, the chain just stopped.

I just wiped it off and 4hrs later when I came out of the shower it looks like blackberry scratches...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0529202006.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	385.4 KB 
ID:	23639

ALL'S I'm sayin' is...... I got a freebie

"Thank You Lord"

And Stihl's engineering dept

Damn, that can do the shorts a mass of damage.

Better go have a beer and celebrate Al.

Lucky Day

Better hurry out and buy a lottery ticket
    It may be your
    LUCKY DAY

CLP

Quote Originally Posted by C.L. Peterson View Post
    Better hurry out and buy a lottery ticket
    It may be your
    LUCKY DAY

CLP
    I reckon you've used your luck up for the day. Best to lay low and heal.

GsT (Never won the lottery and never will, unless I find the winning ticket in the parking lot - because I have some comprehension of math.)

I supervised a couple of cutting crews at one time and all of them preferred the Sthil. The lightweight was the big difference. Your not the only guy to throw a chain....It's dangerous work. Ihave thin skin and bleed like a pig.

Mort

LibberAL will go to great lengths to get attention. Be it the chain saw or the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    I reckon you've used your luck up for the day. Best to lay low and heal.

GsT (Never won the lottery and never will, unless I find the winning ticket in the parking lot - because I have some comprehension of math.)
    No healing involved ....... just got a love tap, a free lesson, blest to have gotten off scot-free. Those tiny marks only prove that it happened....

My eldest son had one 20yrs ago. He was working for me and had to cut off a single #4 rebar down in an elevator pit. He yelled up "Hey, could somebody grab me some safety glasses?"

And we heard him

So we dropped him a set.

And ten minutes later he crawled up the scaffold to show us his cracked right lens. In 40yrs cutting rebar with a pea grinder I've never before nor since seen a 12" hunk of rebar fly off like that from being cut! But that one time and he would have been crawling up with a hunk of bar sticking in his head.....

I be preachin' the thankful every time I get a free one, anything else would be spittin' in God's Eye

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    LibberAL will go to great lengths to get attention. Be it the chain saw or the lathe.

al-attentionhoor-inwa

chainsaw

You can get hurt so dam quick with a chainsaw. I was cutting wood with a bunch of guy. Dragging trees out in a gravel road with a pickup and cutting them up for firewood. I didn't notice a little limb, about 2 in. through, wrapped under the trunk buzzed it off and wham right in the forehead. Had a goose egg on my forehead knocked me out or close to out. Had enough presence of mind to set the saw down out of the way. Thank God. Didn't get tangled in that stihl still running. About everbody that's run one of those sobs very much has a horror story. Doug

As you say a true blessing and your giving credit to who it came from is as well.

Losing the chain

Losing the chain usually doesn't occur while felling. It's usually from limbing when the limbs are under tension, or clearing vegetation around the felled tree so you can limb.
    Trying to limb while standing in brush is a real exercise...

Mort