Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Vibrating the brass

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Posts
    1,565

    Vibrating the brass

    Was watching some you tube videos on reloading and in one saw a guy use the back end of a toothbrush on a case in his Dillon 650. Assumed he was using it to compact the powder in the case. As I was in the middle of doing some load development for 30 BR with H4198 I decided to see how this might work. Lou Murdica uses 36.7 grains of LT 30 in his 30 BR but I can't get that much in my cases. Anyway, I dropped some H4198 into one of my cases up to a little above halfway up the neck. I then turned on my Sonicare electric toothbrush and ran the back of the head slowly up and down the case. Those little kernels started settling down purty as you please. Powder level dropped down enough I could have added at least half a grain to the case. Didn't take about more than 10 to 15 seconds. Don't know if I'll ever use this procedure but it was an interesting experiment.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,374
    Maybe if I was after an assertive hunting load, but I prefer my drop tube with the helix start to spin the powder which does the job consistently.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,033
    Yes.....

    I've got a Sonicare in my gunroom too I actually tried to mod it for detail sanding and it didn't work so I keep it set aside for load workups, gotta hold the case juuuust right ......

    Or I tap-tap-tap it on the table....

    I've used a block sander, a Harbor Freight vibratory cutoff tool and the side of my Dillon in the past but the single biggest 'trick' is the long drop tube.

    I've got drop tubes and funnels modified with stretched springs, coiled wires, that green tomater-wire stuff they make twisty-ties out of.... I'll try perty much anything to try promote swirling in an attempt to "stack in" the kernels but the single biggest-bestest trick is a loooong (8"-18") drop tube and a sloooow trickle

    And then you can angle the case a liddle and spin it....... you can literally add 10% to the capacity.

    I think I've got several minutes on youtube on the subject.

    In any case, you've given me a reason to tape a segment just on filling cases

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Eastern Australia
    Posts
    189
    You could also consider using one of these (though never tried one myself) https://www.lovehoney.com.au/product.cfm?p=28502

    Used for vibrating brass without the 'br'. Could be useful for packing a load.

    (I never knew that stuff like this actually existed until I googled vibrator. That was a bad move)

    Have to explain to the g/f if one arrives in the mailbox though

    * doggie *

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Third Tomb of Chritianity
    Posts
    40
    I know a guy who let his 30x44 seat on the top of the freezer overnight.


    Anyway, beware of :

    - static electricity

    - peeling flame retardant off on double based powders

    - breaking powder granules and therefore change powder burning rate by increasing flame surface.

    I once mixed a loaded ammo with the brass in my tumbler. That 223 based case can hold a LR primer now. Take care.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,917
    I've used a little $8.99 battery powered engraver...works great. -Al

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    461
    Yeah but, Al Nyhus, don’t the ammo makers mention that compacted loads tend to burn more slowly?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Yeah but, Al Nyhus, don’t the ammo makers mention that compacted loads tend to burn more slowly?
    I savvy the theory. But I tend toward the practical....

    Hope all is well with you and yours! -Al

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    461
    We are well, Al Nyhus. We are avoiding Detroit and anything associated with Detroit. Paul is working six 10s building on to the GM Poletown plant in Hamtramck, Mich. and he’ll be there for the better part of a year. I just came in from mowing and was met with the scent of a pineapple upside down cake wafting in the air. Life is good in the country.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    I know a guy who let his 30x44 seat on the top of the freezer overnight.


    Anyway, beware of :

    - static electricity

    - peeling flame retardant off on double based powders

    - breaking powder granules and therefore change powder burning rate by increasing flame surface.

    I once mixed a loaded ammo with the brass in my tumbler. That 223 based case can hold a LR primer now. Take care.
    That's funny. All old wives tales.
    I have zapped a primer with static. Big blue arc. My house drys out, real good about Feb.
    And as far as tumbling ammo/powder.
    How do you think the ammo manufacturers get their brass shiny? Everyone that buys ammo wants shiny brass....
    Or "it don't shoot straight". Yea, I have been told this a few times....I don't shine the 6 PPC brass, just a washcloth to git the grit off.....
    Oh, and if using "Tumble lube" bullets. I run clean Corn Cob/critter nesting stuff with mineral spirits in the Vibratory tumbler. Cleans the exposed side of the bullets. Less Smoke....
    And it cleans up the tumbler real nice.....

    Some BR shooters have a vibrator disk thingie. They set the case on it. It vibrates and use a long drop tube funnel thing.
    They git 30.9 gn of N133 in the case.
    Last edited by zippy06; 06-02-2020 at 06:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    We are well, Al Nyhus. We are avoiding Detroit and anything associated with Detroit. Paul is working six 10s building on to the GM Poletown plant in Hamtramck, Mich. and he’ll be there for the better part of a year. I just came in from mowing and was met with the scent of a pineapple upside down cake wafting in the air. Life is good in the country.
    I have many fond memories of visiting my Polish grandmother in Hamtramck. I understand it's hard to find any polacks in Hamtramck anymore as it's now majority muslim.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    461
    You heard right, Jerry, and they all worked at Dodge Main. Many of the Polish moved out to Six Mile and Van Dyke and that became Polish Grosse Pointe. As “the element” moved there the Poles went to Sterling Heights. Kowalske Sausage is still in Hamtramck and the floors are so clean you can still eat off of them. Olsonite Toilet Seat Company was on Conant, where they made “Tops for Bottoms”.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    220

    Back In My High Power Days,

    I used a door bell buzzer to load 4831 into 30-06 cases. I can't remember the charge weight (too old now to remember). My shooting buddy and mentor, Tom Moore, showed me how to do it. We would fill the case to the top, and then place the case head on the buzzer and watch the powder gets sucked into the case. It was very effective to only touch the case head to the buzzer. We would then put more 4831 in and buzz it some more. We shot 190's this way for long range competition. Like I say, I can't remember the charge weight, but the powder was up in the neck just at the right level to allow the bullet to seat without compressing the load. We did very well with this method. Door bell buzzers were really cheap back then.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Third Tomb of Chritianity
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    That's funny. All old wives tales.
    I have zapped a primer with static. Big blue arc. My house drys out, real good about Feb.
    And as far as tumbling ammo/powder.
    How do you think the ammo manufacturers get their brass shiny? Everyone that buys ammo wants shiny brass....
    Or "it don't shoot straight". Yea, I have been told this a few times....I don't shine the 6 PPC brass, just a washcloth to git the grit off.....
    Oh, and if using "Tumble lube" bullets. I run clean Corn Cob/critter nesting stuff with mineral spirits in the Vibratory tumbler. Cleans the exposed side of the bullets. Less Smoke....
    And it cleans up the tumbler real nice.....

    Some BR shooters have a vibrator disk thingie. They set the case on it. It vibrates and use a long drop tube funnel thing.
    They git 30.9 gn of N133 in the case.

    Don't agree with the "old wiwes tales", better say I'm an old .
    I payed for the 2 firsts and wear a scar on my left thumb.
    Take care.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    Don't agree with the "old wiwes tales", better say I'm an old .
    I payed for the 2 firsts and wear a scar on my left thumb.
    Take care.
    Oh, okay.....Must be the old part. I didn't start reloading till 1986........I guess things are safer now.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •