Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: making .30 118/124gr bullets on 1" J4 - ram stroke at core seating ??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Third Tomb of Chritianity
    Posts
    46

    making .30 118/124gr bullets on 1" J4 - ram stroke at core seating ??

    Considering a .30 cal bullet in the 118 / 124 grains range built on a J4 1" jacket, what is your ram stroke in between :

    - just making contact on the uncompressed core,
    - core properly seated.

    I understand that stroke will change depending on core OD, jacket mouth angle, lead bleed, but I would like to have an idea of that lead compression stroke length. Thanks.

    Oliver.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,840
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    Considering a .30 cal bullet in the 118 / 124 grains range built on a J4 1" jacket, what is your ram stroke in between :

    - just making contact on the uncompressed core,
    - core properly seated.

    I understand that stroke will change depending on core OD, jacket mouth angle, lead bleed, but I would like to have an idea of that lead compression stroke length. Thanks.

    Oliver.
    Since I am quite the novice at bullet making, I am curious as to what you are asking.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,261
    I'm sure your question makes perfect sense to you but like Jackie, I can't tell exactly what you're asking. Please clarify your question a bit.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    537
    It would vary according to the dia. of core used, A larger dia. would need less length to fill jacket. so there's not a good answer.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Third Tomb of Chritianity
    Posts
    46
    OK Gents, please forgive my poor English. Gonna try to ask in other words.

    So, considering core seating ,


    Place a jacket fitted with a core on the punch. Gently pull the press lever until you feel a first contact, aka jacket base on one side and un-seated core on the other side are making contact with their respective punch/ejector. No stress applied yet, no strain either, just contact.

    Let's call this point "ram position A".

    Then, acting on the press lever, so moving up the ram, so compressing/expanding core and jacket, one gets a core seated jacket. Let's call this point "ram position B".

    What is the distance between A and B, considering a .30 118/124 on j4 1" ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    537
    What exactly are you trying to figure core seating pressure when a core is correctly seated ???

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Third Tomb of Chritianity
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    It would vary according to the dia. of core used, A larger dia. would need less length to fill jacket. so there's not a good answer.....
    Thank you Mr. Ulrich,

    I understand there is no absolute accurate answer, too many variables here. But once the right core seating punch is selected, just to have an idea about it, is it close to 1/10" or close to 1/25" or what ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    537
    I don't believe anyone i know or have shown do it the way you are trying to do. If you want to discuss further please send me a p.m. I am not interested in getting into this online.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    Thank you Mr. Ulrich,

    I understand there is no absolute accurate answer, too many variables here. But once the right core seating punch is selected, just to have an idea about it, is it close to 1/10" or close to 1/25" or what ?
    measurements are irrelevant.
    You want the jacket to leave the punch. And stay in the die. And be ejected.
    If jacket stays on punch. Screw die in. Till it stays in die....inspect inside core for uniform lead bleed by. It should be a very small amount. But, the same amount around the inside of jacket.
    Some people pop their jackets. Not a good thing on Carbide dies. Might break carbide ring.
    I was told to stretch jacket .005-.008".
    Any other questions just call George. Nice guy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    352

    Cool Ist lesson from ferris

    Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    since i am quite the novice at bullet making, i am curious as to what you are asking.
    ferris says when core seating see light line tell by feel to hard will break die make 10 and shoot

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arlington, Virgina
    Posts
    987
    The four things I want in core seating:

    1) It comes off the punch
    2) It swages up to the final dimension or within a ten-thousandths of final (ex - 0.3084")
    3) Small bleed line on the top edge
    3) The jacket length shrinks. Ex - on a 0.925" .30 cal, they drop around 0.917".

    -Lee
    www.singleactions.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    Considering a .30 cal bullet in the 118 / 124 grains range built on a J4 1" jacket, what is your ram stroke in between :

    - just making contact on the uncompressed core,
    - core properly seated.

    I understand that stroke will change depending on core OD, jacket mouth angle, lead bleed, but I would like to have an idea of that lead compression stroke length. Thanks.

    Oliver.
    Before I say anything else - either call, e-mail, or, PM George Ulrich (see his post - #8 - above).

    I understand your concept, and believe it good logic, however, for the reasons (& and more) which you point out (red), only for getting into the stadium. I'm not going to bore you with my methodology, as I can't take the public ridicule.RG

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Before I say anything else - either call, e-mail, or, PM George Ulrich (see his post - #8 - above).

    I understand your concept, and believe it good logic, however, for the reasons (& and more) which you point out (red), only for getting into the stadium. I'm not going to bore you with my methodology, as I can't take the public ridicule.RG
    Yea, That public ridicule thing is a bummer......
    Randy is a good bullet maker. And it's hard to get him off the phone......Nice guy.....
    Thanks for your help there Randy....It was a few years back.....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,840
    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Before I say anything else - either call, e-mail, or, PM George Ulrich (see his post - #8 - above).

    I understand your concept, and believe it good logic, however, for the reasons (& and more) which you point out (red), only for getting into the stadium. I'm not going to bore you with my methodology, as I can't take the public ridicule.RG
    Randy, donít forget the chicken foot and incense burning

    Seriously, on Georgeís advice, I followed your method. It takes some careful measuring and patience, but it works.

    And then thereís the right punch diameter. ........darn, where did I put that chicken foot.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,261
    What Zippy wrote:

    "measurements are irrelevant.
    You want the jacket to leave the punch. And stay in the die. And be ejected.
    If jacket stays on punch. Screw die in. Till it stays in die....inspect inside core for uniform lead bleed by. It should be a very small amount. But, the same amount around the inside of jacket."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •