Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: making .30 118/124gr bullets on 1" J4 - ram stroke at core seating ??

Cool

[QUOTE=BillBrawand;835237]ferris says when core seating see light line tell by feel to hard will break die make 10 and shoot[/QUOTEJACKET SHOULD RELEASE FROM PUNCH AND PUSH OUT OF DIE USE VERY LITTLE LUBE WHEN CORE SEATING

[QUOTE=BillBrawand;835282]
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    ferris says when core seating see light line tell by feel to hard will break die make 10 and shoot[/QUOTEJACKET SHOULD RELEASE FROM PUNCH AND PUSH OUT OF DIE USE VERY LITTLE LUBE WHEN CORE SEATING
    Roger that - especially with carbide die - just enough to eject with reasonable effort.RG

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Randy, donít forget the chicken foot and incense burning

Seriously, on Georgeís advice, I followed your method. It takes some careful measuring and patience, but it works.

And then thereís the right punch diameter. ........darn, where did I put that chicken foot.
    Yeah - I wore out a few rabbits feet, crow skulls/bones, and rubber chickens!
    George makes great dies, knows how to, "get it done", and is very generous in sharing his knowledge. And it's repeatable!! I do like the OPs (OliveOil's) concept, which would be pretty good for, "getting close" - I never thought of that! RG

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the above information and your patience in understanding my poor English.

I fairly understand what I would call a "final result" in your explanation about irrelevant measurements and cored jacket staying in the die and all the "classics".

I will be a beginner in bullet making within a few weeks. So I do not have (yet) a core seating punch collection gently waiting for use.

At the moment, my point is to "come close" to the true core seating punch diameter to avoid to much trial and error and multiple machining/honing/lapping cessions to reach the right punch dia.

I am lucky enough to have a barrel that shot 135 gr and 124 gr with great success, so "reverse tuning" by going to 122gr or 126g should not be a problem, if needed.

I am not dreaming anyway. Next jacket batch, next 2 or 3 new core seat punches and so goes the collection on ...

Mr. Robinett :

I still remember this night (my time) we partly spent on the phone when I was having trouble with my HBR gun / seating Burger bullets. That was in the early 2000's and I was probably the first to import your .30 10cal 124 in Europe at that time. That was through Sinclair, and that was in the Good Ol'Time, even if some French bullet maker (7 O) threw me stones beause I was breaking his retirement plan.

Did you know your bullets take age like a good French wine ?? Due to work, I had a loooong BR break, but in 2016, I blowed the dust off the boxes and shot a second place at France Championship 200 meters stage. Thank you !!

I already PM'ed Mr. Ulrich. He was very kind in his explaination and will send me some additional info.

As far as I understand Mr. Schmidt #14, there is a "RG's Special" method to "come close". I am very much interested, you bet.

Just speculation but I believe he's working on a mechanical device other than a press to seat cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    Just speculation but I believe he's working on a mechanical device other than a press to seat cores.
    Somewhere, I've got some pics of some strange bullet swage contraptions built by Ferris Pendell, featuring all sorts of gauges and dial indicators in various positions . . . measuring deflection, pressure, who knows what - maybe I can dig them up - they sure don't resemble anything we use these days! RG

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    That slick little ram assembly Javier Bardem carried in "No Country For Old Men had about a 1" stroke......

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    That slick little ram assembly Javier Bardem carried in "No Country For Old Men had about a 1" stroke......
    Pneumatic slaughter gun / stun gun used in slaughter-houses. But 1" stroke for a 1" jacket is a tad on the long side ...

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    it would vary according to the dia. Of core used, a larger dia. Would need less length to fill jacket. So there's not a good answer.....
    its all on the line on jacket and its release out of die eyes and feel

its all on the line on jacket and its release out of die eyes and feel
    Or its mechanical measuring stretch, forget about all the vodoo feel and lines on jacket

or its mechanical measuring stretch, forget about all the vodoo feel and lines on jacket
    99 percent of benchrest is feel and site

I wouldn't be so sure about that....

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    i use all rockugers for core seating

or its mechanical measuring stretch, forget about all the vodoo feel and lines on jacket
    to each his own

I wouldn't be so sure about that....

Process control does not come from "feels".

Ask Motorola and 6Sigma. If a process result is not in line with the measurement of a process variable change, then the choosen variable most probably is not the right one.