Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbie question, choice of .223 Rem bullets?

I believe Black Hills is made by Winchester.

In my opinion this is good, hard brass, second to Lapua. I use a lot of it.

I have no idea what "better obturation" could possibly mean re brass and will call bu!!$#it on that one.....

IMO the SakoA1 will ALWAYS and consistently shoot circles around the CZ, no comparison. And if it ever runs out of ability, bed it correctly and it'll step up to another level.

MAX valocity of the Sako will be about 3250 with 68gr bullets. Please understand that it's absolutely NOT a "6PPC" like the guys on this board bandy info about. You have a small-bolt "6MMPPC-USA" which cannot withstand the pressures talked about on this forum but within it's pressure limits, with loads from 3000fps-3250fps it's so bloody acc'rate that the gun itself has been banned from many "Factory Competition" venues. Coopers, Vixens, Dakotas, Kimbers, Bergaras etc etc..... nothing else is even in the same sphere.

The A1 is specifically the rifle that tipped me over the edge and down the silly wabbit hole of true Bench Rest stuff... It'll give you a taste, or at least a sniff of real accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    ... I have no idea what "better obturation" could possibly mean re brass and will call bu!!$#it on that one.....
    It means the brass seals the chamber better. Can be as simple as having the web of the case hard, and the neck and shoulders a bit softer. Work harden the brass, and you get dirtier chambers from a less effective seal.

And you almost must be shooting lead bullets or a very soft bullet as it must produce a better bullet to bore seal to produce obduration.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    And you almost must be shooting lead bullets or a very soft bullet as it must produce a better bullet to bore seal to produce obduration.
    This tip was given to me by an old timer who shoots black powder, with reference to my 1885 HighWall in 45-70, so yes, soft lead. The advice was Winchester brass in that context. It is probably not a factor with the .223, I am finding the brass comes out quite clean, my hand lubing around the neck for neck sizing and then wiping with cloth gets them quite clean. I have stopped using the ultrasonic cleaner on .223 brass.

My first venture out with new bullets and powder, following Sierra manual advice on accuracy load, for 53 gr. Sierra HP, H335 looks very nice, nice tight groups, now on to playing with jam/jump. That was in the Sako, in the CZ I used Sierra recommendation for 55gr accuracy load, N133, with Nosler 55gr Varmint ballistic tip spitzers, that was more disappointing. I will give the Noslers away, I have not had good luck with them in several calibres. I will try the 53gr Sierra/H335/CCI450 loads in the CZ.

On a tip from another old-timer, I am marking the brass, and load so that the mark goes in at top of chamber. With fireformed cases and neck sizing, hope that reduces some of the variables.