Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this?

Has anyone seen this?

Let's hear some thoughts on this..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za91...ature=emb_logo

He flunked Machine Shop 101 when dealing with the problem of establishing a third point dead true with points in a piece that is not straight with its self.

Basic machine shop practice dictates that when dealing with a piece that is not straight, you must employ a method of machining a third point true with two other trued points, the most affective way to accomplish that is by. single point machining.

I chamber barrels to were the actual lead and throat are within .0002 inch of the chamber. And yes, I Know how to check it to insure that type of chambering accuracy.

Another thing. The ID of barrels is not curved as he stated. The ID wonders from one direction to the other through the length of the barrel.

If you know what you are doing, I categorize this as a solution to a problem that does not exist.

I do see one benefit. You could maintain the same chamber from barrel to barrel if you have trouble keeping your chambers consistent from one barrel to the next.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-31-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Jackie you are right. This just adds another problem that aint there to start with.

That is a crock! You couldn't machine a bow in a barrel if you tried. Drill, bore, and ream will make a good chamber and throat.

Well maybe he has a really crooked lathe alignment. I haven't seen throat misalignment's near that bad that he is talking about. 2-3 thousandths would be pretty bad in my opinion. The chamber throat junction he is advocating would more likely be way worse than a properly done traditionally reamed chamber.

The ACE is a neat way of chambering a barrel but does not hold true to first indicating the bore square then drilling boring then reaming. Indicate drill bore ream, the reamer now only follows the throat of the finished chamber which is indicated square to the bore.
    But still the ace system is pretty neat.
    I can see the ACE system can work that's for sure but you would have to have a very accurate double setup and still have more runout then, indicate drill bore ream in one set up.

Chet
    Last edited by coyotechet; 04-01-2020 at 06:56 PM.

No wonder...

Explains why I can't shoot straight, thanks to these folks, I'm finding out that it's the first inch of a barrel that is the most accurate. All along I have been cutting off the first 3 or so inches before I even start a chamber...

??????
    Quote Originally Posted by hayscott View Post
    Explains why I can't shoot straight, thanks to these folks, I'm finding out that it's the first inch of a barrel that is the most accurate. All along I have been cutting off the first 3 or so inches before I even start a chamber...

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    ??????

I believe he is telling you the first inch or so of the breech is where the lap of a new barrel stops and changes direction. It is not the same size and shape as the rest of the bore.

Here it is,
    The system works because it works in cutting a straight throat without spyders. (I filmed and produced some of the videos for Gordy Gritters in his shop that he sells). This also allows the making of the chamber separate of the barrel, and a perfect chamber at that with no stacked tolerances. (less than .0002 across all surfaces).

The rifles are out there and speaking for themselves and that is the way I like it. I can yell anything with a bull horn, but in the end it is all about the rifles. That said here are some things we accomplished this year, we had one take 4th place for groups at the 1000 Yard Benchrest World Open at Williamsport. We have built for mil/government agencies multiple rifles and cut their groups from .80/1.2 to .2/.4 across all our rifles we sent them, every day and shooting there ammo.

I like to let the rifles speak for themselves as we grow and grow our custom base. But the nay sayers who say adding parts can't make anything better. If that was the case using the same logic, archery would still be a stick and a string with a notched wood shaft and a piece of flint tied to the end. How many parts make up a modern bow? How many parts make up just a modern arrow with a mechanical broadhead?

I am always available to talk and please always feel free to call if you have any questions. We are excited on all the new things the system is now being looked at for and used for. We have found a way to produce exceptionally accurate rifles in a system the is repeatable whether we make 1 or 100,000. They will all shoot predictably the same.

Thank you and hope all of you are well.

Jamie Dodson
    Wolf Precision, Inc.
    www.wolfprecision.net
    814-262-7994

We received a couple emails too. The system is expensive for sure and took years and a couple changes to perfect. I think we are on our 3rd generation ACE now. The short version of a long story is it duplicates what I was always trying to do with spyders. Trying to cut a perfectly straight throat. We can now accomplish the same accuracy increase we get with the straight throat in a repeatable process that does not require the curvature of the bore to be dialed out several inches in the barrel. This is a problem because they are predictably all different.

The chambers have another advantage now as we can access them at both ends and make them straight. We always use the center of the bore/chamber as the middle. Easy to do now. But with a floating reamer in rifling on one end being held rigid by a tail stock. That is not ideal for scale or major manufacturing. Let alone considering using spyders to dial out the straight throat. You can't do it at scale and you are limited by the skill of the gunsmith dialing in each barrel and the quality of day they are having.

In essence, we can bring the level of accuracy up and do it at scale and volume like never seen before. Produce benchrest quality rifles and at the same time use the volume increase to offset the cost and keep bringing the prices down. All the while, keeping the same level of quality.

Here are some other things we are finding fascinating and we keep moving forward.
    1. We are seeing an increase in accuracy we think partly due to the reduced harmonics caused by the attachment of the ACE.
    2. We can manipulate the throats as they are exposed at the end of the barrel (think crown)
    3. At 100 yards, zero's are staying really close with little to no POI shift when changing ammo (See #1)
    4. We can do a run of 100's of 6.5 barrels in advance and attach the chamber needed when custom orders (no wait)
    5. Customers chambers are nearly identical for load and reloads as replacements barrels get put on.
    6. We are working on using different barrel material that is harder to increase barrel life because we don't have to drill/ream chamber in barrel. (we are working on some this year)
    7. Remington estimated the ACE would cut rifle barrel production by miles by saving the two inches the ACE adds when attached. Two inch shorter barrels each.
    8. Shorter barrels are easier to make straighter.

The list goes on and on. Things we didn't think of originally that are just hidden benefits.

Please feel free to call if you have any questions. I will gladly take the time to answer any questions. It is pretty exciting stuff for us here.

Thank you,
    Jamie Dodson
    www.wolfprecision.net
    Wolf Precision, Inc.
    814-262-7994
    Last edited by JamieD; 04-01-2020 at 06:11 PM.

After reading JamieD posts
    I have to take my hat off to him and want to thank him for taking the time to post. Today CNC machines can and do things that is next to impossible on a manual machine, repeatability in accuracy for one it's all about the numbers. I heard a looong time ago that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Chet

Im quite sure Andy from Bix nAndy showed a very similar concept at the Austria WBC in 2007, not sure if it ever passed the prototype stage. I remember Jim Kelbly saying it could be difficult with the "chamber bit" being deemed as a very short barrel in the states, thus causing some kind of regulation issues, not sure in what way. Been a few years so the memories are a bit vague!

Peter

Jamie,
    I appreciate your innovation and especially the way you handle people slamming your product while being totally ignorant to it. Best of luck and hope it works out.

Mram10,
    Do you have the slightest clue or do you just watch You Tuber Vid's to increase your IQ?

TactiKool & Remage Nut jobs will be all over this.BS.

I personally wouldn't waste my time or monies.