Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens choices for cataract surgery

Old Age

I canít see worth a damn. Got laser iridotomy surgery five years ago. as a Preventive maintenance recommendation.

At the time,Had cataracts but not at a stage that needed surgery,According to Doctor. Due for another eye exam
    soon. .

Cant hear worth a damn. High and low frequency loss in both ears. Have issues with locating where sound is coming from. Failed fitness for duty exam because of the condition.

Things dont seem to smell like they used to. Thats OK, for when i need to go to the toilet every morning at 7:30AM. It also helps when youíre around people that dont practice good personal hygiene.

It sucks when shopping for cologne.

Sense of touch left years ago. None of the enhancement drugs work anymore

Now gotta deal with this virus.

Its hell getting old.

Glenn
    Last edited by Chism G; 03-30-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlenO View Post
    because I was really having trouble seeing the scope dot and/or rings. I was also having trouble driving at night and had pretty much turned that over to my wife.

I told the doc I wanted the absolutely best, sharpest, long distance lenses he could give me. He hit it "on the nose" in both eyes and I'm now 20/15 in both eyes. WOW! what a difference. And, I can again see to drive at night.

I had this done back in January. Vision was great from about the 3rd day. I've worn reading glasses for years but find that I often don't need them unless the print, or whatever, is small or in poor light.

Good luck,
    glen o
    Sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    The way the doctor explained things to me, when they do LASIK, they change the focus curvature of the outer cornea. It works, but then in later life, when your eyes change because of age, they cannot perform a lens replacement that will give you good vision for distance and up close.
    My ophthalmologist explained that the power of the replacement lens required was a function of the distance from the cornea to the retina. LASIK makes an unknown (to your doctor) change to the normal cornea, which means that the measurements are likely not to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    My ophthalmologist explained that the power of the replacement lens required was a function of the distance from the cornea to the retina. LASIK makes an unknown (to your doctor) change to the normal cornea, which means that the measurements are likely not to be correct.
    That is exactly how he explained it.

I think I will go back and ask for the very best distance vision he can give me with lens replacement and then just opt to wear readers for up close.

Now I'm all excited and ready for the surgery. It was originally scheduled for the 14th and 28th of April but I have no idea when it will be now. My distance vision is now gone, no longer correctable by glasses, driving is getting to be a problem.

I had cataract surgery on my right eye and then the virus hit and I have to wait to get the left eye done. I will still need glasses because of my astigmatism. I will get progressive lenses which will cover distance and reading.

Two years ago, my wife and I both had cataract surgery, and both opted for the multi-focal lenses. After wearing glasses for several years, we are both well pleased with the results. This is an expensive choice, but itís really nice to see everything without glasses. I will admit I do put on a pair of readers to read a mic when making bullets, or turning brass, but other than that, Iím ďlensĒ free.

Quote Originally Posted by mark roper View Post
    Two years ago, my wife and I both had cataract surgery, and both opted for the multi-focal lenses. After wearing glasses for several years, we are both well pleased with the results. This is an expensive choice, but itís really nice to see everything without glasses. I will admit I do put on a pair of readers to read a mic when making bullets, or turning brass, but other than that, Iím ďlensĒ free.
    Mark, what brand are your lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by mark roper View Post
    What about price.

For the best, they are quoting me $12,000.

My wife said, (jokingly), that if I killed over soon after, could they remove them and sell them on EBay

My beer retort was, ďhey you ainít that far behindĒ

Lense choies

Jackie, after Insurance my cost was about $7400. Insurance paid as best as I can figure out $2400.

Quote Originally Posted by Engrbill View Post
    Monovision is one eye sees at distance and one eye sees near vision for reading etc. I wore monovision contacts for years. Your mind seemlessly selects the proper eye. I did not wear contacts when shooting but wore glasses. When/If I were to get cateract surgery I would get monovision again. Tom and Carolyn Libby both had laser mono vision and loved it. No glasses except safety glasses when they were shooting. Good luck ------Bill
    I use monovision for contact lenses also.
    One thing you cannot do is have good 3-D vision with colored lenses glasses.
    The old red-green (or any other system).
    I just put on my distance corrected glasses (also used to pass vision tests for driving)
    and put the colored stereo ones over those.

The first time I noticed it was a little puzzling.
    But then I thought about it.
    Right eye far, left eye close.
    Mono-vision.

The lenses I have are Tecnis Multifocal 10L by Abbott Medical Optics. Insurance will pay for the cataract surgery, but not multifocal lens. These were $3000.00 per eye, about 2 years ago.

My father enjoys reading a LOT.
    He wears glasses for everything else.