Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bedding bases

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    If the base is not integral, you can either pin it to the action, or glue it, or both. Having disposed of that movement, rings can be pinned to bases. Back when Stiller's Viper was new, the rings he furnished had a single base clamping screw and until he redesigned them to have two, there were problems with them moving. The fix was to loosen them on the base, bleed some super glue into the joint, and retighten. Evidently, the hard anodizing makes the base slipperier.

On a related matter, shock to the scope, two of the three external adjustable/frozen scope setups use a band of some sort of synthetic or natural rubber between the scope tube and the ring, in the front ring....so why couldn't this be done in both rings with conventional internal adjustments? Just some more out of the box stuff.
    I ended up with an extra set of 40MM scope rings. They're stoopid expensive and I'm not in a good position to want to send them back.... I've machined a set of delrin inserts to bring them down to something useful and would like to try a "rubber" insert just for one end, probably the rear. But I don't know nuttin' about rubbers...If anyone knows of a "type" or brand or durometer or whatever and could share I'd be appreciative. I want the scope to have compensatory lateral movement in the order of thousandths of an inch to avoid the bending characteristic of differential expansion coefficient between the action and the scope.

Charlie??? You out there?? What'd you use on yours?

edited to add..... BTW, I'm REALLY looking for a cast-in-place rubber. I have several mold making casting rubbers that I'm gonna' try but I have no-zero-nada knowledge here....
    Last edited by alinwa; 03-24-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Why not epoxy them to the action? Do many people remove the bases often?

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Why not epoxy them to the action? Do many people remove the bases often?
    I do epoxy them. And I remove them often. But it's a needless pita.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    It really don't matter what WE shoot boss

My goal, my thing, my drive, my passion is to show other folks, preferably YOUNGER folks, R E A L accuracy and that takes accuracy measures. Especially to make The Big Thunder shoot Quarter Under for some moneyed hunting guy.... the phrase "more money than brains" will never leave my lips. I KNOW where money comes from, sacrifice. And I love to make folks happy who've sacrificed enough to be able to afford cool stuff.

Yup, that's 5 screws per base. I use 8-40's

I really wish Jim would pull his head out and follow Stiller and the Kelbly's with pinned on bases. Each time I go to hit 'send' on an order I stop and reconsider........

This is absolutely NOT from guessing, it's from personal experience.
    I'd call Jim. I have a BRMXD and a rail here, machined for dowel pins. FWIW

Well, I finished up my 'Project SaLvage'.

This was a N.I.B. 12FV that I bought from Cabelas. Here's what the bolt face looked like when I opened the box. I assume Savage's test firing must be with fairly stout loads and/or the Q.C. might be a bit lacking. Full disclosure...I never looked at the bolt when I opened the box in the store. Something like this isn't new to anyone in BR circles, though.

I worked on the factory trigger and it's a consistent 12 oz, now. Smoothed up the cocking notch in the bolt and added a bolt lift kit. Both those and some firing pin tuning eased the bolt lift enough so I could deep six the double ugly Kenworth-ish bolt handle and put an earlier factory version on. The bedding and pillars are in the 'Pillars' titled section.

The chamber is nice and snug with a .256 neck and a short enough throat that even the Nosler 40gr. BTips touch the lands with .100 of bullet shank in the neck. Will head to the range as soon as possible with BIB 52's, 48's, Berger 52's, and even some (slap my mouth) Sierra 52's and 53's. Gotta' start with H380 in a 22-250 but will try N135, Benchmark, 4895, WW748 and AA2520 on the first go.

No BR rig, but still a fun 'back-to-my-roots' project. If it shoots! -Al

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 04-08-2020 at 02:27 PM.