Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One Last Time

Just go back and skim coat bed after the first bedding has a chance to cure. This will take care of any voids and shrinkage of thick areas.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyDog View Post
    Got the AcraGlas gel sooner than expected so the rear pillar got spooged in yesterday. 10 hr cure time. I was a lil light on how much I used but not much. A few surface voids but not coming out of every seam so no extensive clean up. Did the recoil lug/barrel area this am. Phase 3 tomorrow for the floor plate.
    Wally
    OK Wally...... sounds like I might be stepping on your toes but I mean well.

And it'll help somebody if not you.

A suggestion.

A SERIOUS suggestion..... like if you're really serious about bedding??? ya' got's ta' try this......

Go down to TAP Plastics and getcherself a container of Aerosil, Cab-O-Sil, or other fumed silica. DO NOT get anything other than fumed silica! (fumed silica=thixotropicity only, micro-beads=bulking, still runny, fibers/flocs=shrinkage)Mix this with old fashioned runny Acra-Glas to make any consistency you want. This will yield old-fashioned glass-hard, no-shrink bedding. But even handier than gel.

Mixing ratio - squirt resin to suit, weigh it, multiply by .263..... add the 2 numbers together and add hardener to suit

As always, mix in one container then dump to another to adjust texture.

Used it many times. -Al

yup that's the stuff.....

aliddledabbledooya

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200407_180002.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	23472

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    yup that's the stuff....
    Used in concrete work for steel corrosion issues and changing concrete characteristics, correct? -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Used in concrete work for steel corrosion issues and changing concrete characteristics, correct? -Al
    Maybe, I dunno, I just use it for mixing epoxy.

For me TAP is an hour drive one way and after needing a third refill of the largest container they had (1/2 gallon) I decided to order 10lber and just be done wit' it!

LOL, I've only used about the top six inches of the bag in over a year....

For alla' you'se that ain't seen this freaky stuff, YES that's a real bag leaning against a real shop door. And it's a 10lb bag!

I also have a 25 gallon bag of micro-beads and I think it's 22lb

Both if these things make ground floc look heavy!

Toe Stepping?

No worries about toe stepping here. I try and leave my ego at any door I go through. I had never heard of the stuff before but it sure would have a lot of uses in a serious bedding shop. Looked it up on Wikipedia and its also called precipitated silica? Or something like that. Thanks for the info and it will be of interest to all kinds of people.
    I finished the Mauser but its probably not photo bragging quality. Lol. Ill post pics of the groups though when I get to the range. The range I planned on going to this year has been closed due to the dadgum virus so no telling when I can get the results posted here. I got a place to shoot but no proper way to bench the rifle for group stuff. The rifle I bought as an 18 yr old kid is good for another 40 yrs and that was my goal.
    Wally