Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence W. View Post
    The problem is that you bought into the media hype. No one ever said that the virus was a hoax. What was said is that the media hype of the virus was the hoax. We all hope that it passes quickly with a minimum amount of casualties.
    Someone else that gets it.
    The deaths per case is caulated by dividing cases by deaths.
    It the number of cases increases with deaths staying the same the 1 in N gets smaller.
    The N increases.
    2,000 deaths with 50,000 cases is 1 in 25.
    2,000 deaths with 70,000 cases is 1 in 35.
    No one else died.
    Just the number of cases increased.
    This is likely th4 kind of situation we are in.

'1 in 30' is more lethal than '1 in 36.'
    That is a rather small change though.
    It may not be statistically significant depend on the number of deaths and cases.

The USA is running in the 1 in 70 range for Wuhan Flu.
    NY matches this.
    Detroit is markedly worse at around 1 in 20.

The 'regular annual flu' has been around 1 in 36 for many years.

The common flu has a death rate of more like 0.1% not 1:36 which is nearly 3%. The world death rate at the moment for COVID is 5.2% but far less so far in the US, Italy and Spain are close to 10% but could get watered down the more positive tests are uncovered. I'm 37 and in good physical shape so I'm not super concerned but if I was a senior citizen I'd be concerned, also being intubated is not something most people want to experience even if you don't die.

The stats are not accurate. Numerous people have had it and not been tested. We donít have those numbers since not everyone has symptoms. Italy has a high death rate because of age and smoking (cdc). China stats cannot be trusted. The WHO is in Chinaís pocket, so they canít be trusted. Our two options:
    1. Shut things down to slow rate and destroy economy
    2. Get back to business to save economy and work the herd immunity model
    Iím sure there is a 3, but shutting down will kill the US. Already over 5 trillion in loses

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    2. Get back to business to save economy and work the herd immunity model
    That's the model wildebeests use to manage lions - kill off the less fit.

It doesn't strike me as being a model for a civilized society.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post

Iím with John. Would you sacrifice your mom for money?

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    Iím with John. Would you sacrifice your mom for money?
    Mine is deceased. How much money are we talking about here? Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post

Since you arenít a US citizen, I donít care about your opinion. I donít want my country going under because of an overblown response to this. Other countries are trying the herd immunity way. Time will tell but we arenít getting accurate numbers to base decisions off of.
    Love when pro abortion people scream about going back to work and risking human lives...

John is my neighbor

Since you arenít a US citizen, I donít care about your opinion. I donít want my country going under because of an overblown response to this. Other countries are trying the herd immunity way. Time will tell but we arenít getting accurate numbers to base decisions off of.
    Love when pro abortion people scream about going back to work and risking human lives...
    Now, come on! John is a friend of mine. You might say we are neighbors. His opinion matters with me because he thinks. We people who live on Earth are all in this thing together. We will survive and this thing will be beaten. In the mean time, let us be nice.

Concho Bill
    Last edited by Bill Wynne; 04-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Here's a question for thought; How are we to know that this isn't mother nature giving up on us?
    What we might be seeing is the end of the humanoid on this planet. I'm sure the dinosaurs weren't expecting a nuclear winter from an asteroid strike, but it happened anyway, and caused the end of that era.

Just a bit of mental exercise.....Roger

Cool

Well, at 75 years of age I have already survived four or five "ends of the world ". We'll see if this one is the Real McCoy.

Quote Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
    The common flu has a death rate of more like 0.1% not 1:36 which is nearly 3%. The world death rate at the moment for COVID is 5.2% but far less so far in the US, Italy and Spain are close to 10% but could get watered down the more positive tests are uncovered. I'm 37 and in good physical shape so I'm not super concerned but if I was a senior citizen I'd be concerned, also being intubated is not something most people want to experience even if you don't die.

The "common flue" death rate in the USA runs around 20,000 per year.
    Occasionally there is a 'bad' year and it runs as high as 70,000.

You have to average all those years together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    Now, come on! John is a friend of mine. You might say we are neighbors. His opinion matters with me because he thinks. We people who live on Earth are all in this thing together. We will survive and this thing will be beaten. In the mean time, let us be nice.

Concho Bill
    If someone supports shutting down our economy to save x amount of people, they donít understand the consequences. When they arenít from my country, it makes their opinion less important. I donít tell people in other countries how to deal with their issues, especially if it could end their way of life.

If someone supports shutting down our economy to save x amount of people, they donít understand the consequences. When they arenít from my country, it makes their opinion less important. I donít tell people in other countries how to deal with their issues, especially if it could end their way of life.

Mrap, you ain't learned to deal with folks have you!

My wife and I were just watching the news, where they were praising this huge crowd of people all lined up, five or six deep, praising first responders and medical people.

Considering they were all shoulder to shoulder, back to front, it did not appear that anyone was paying attention to the ď6 foot ruleĒ.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    My wife and I were just watching the news, where they were praising this huge crowd of people all lined up, five or six deep, praising first responders and medical people.

Considering they were all shoulder to shoulder, back to front, it did not appear that anyone was paying attention to the ď6 foot ruleĒ.
    Just keep paying attention Jackie..... look for what you SEE, not what they tell you