Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: searching for the motherload

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16

    searching for the motherload

    Guys,

    I've been shooting about two months now and it occurs to me I've never really found "the motherload" of information about shooting. Lots of good articles on websites, Ryan Cleckner's book, Lanny Bassham's book, bits and scraps from the forums. Where is the motherload? I'm just connecting dots from a comment here and a statement there.

    And what I've found is like 97% focused on the external factors like ballistics and next to nothing on the internal factors like performance under pressure, kinesthetic training, and mental skill and overall body/mind skill. Lanny Bassham's book is about general mental management for shooting but he doesn't get into the details such as dry firing specifically for the type of shooting I am doing. I'm sure what I'm looking for is out there but I'm still fumbling around for it.

    I mean, I've already hit steel at 1000 yards and I'm hitting everything at 600 and 800. What I want is to own everything under 800 yards first time every time under intense pressure, be it hunting, competition shooting, or God forbid, tactical shooting.

    Any direction you suggest will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    51
    Lanny Basham's book is good. He has more than one. I think there is three different books at the house. I get emails from his company often with new stuff coming out.
    Todd

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West central NH
    Posts
    567
    Well, you're on a benchrest site. Ringing gongs is one thing, but score or group benchrest is a whole other ball game at whatever distance. Shooting a record group or close to it at 100 yards or 1000 yards is probably a lot more about equipment, loads, meteorology etc. than mental perparation, which is kind of a basic qualification just to get started. There are more than a few people on this site that have dedicated their lives to the sport. 40 years of experience is not rare.

    Good luck. Hope you find a niche and stick with it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    159
    yes try the long range hunting site, then you will be truly confused

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    422
    Get on multiple sites. Longrangehunting, accurateshooter and here can answer most questions. What is your goal? BR? LR steel? PRS? Most of your questions have been answered with google. If you’re still lost, post a question and someone can point you in the right direction. Good luck

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    615
    One can read & read some more - ultimately, you'll find the answers between your ears . . . or, not. Most people, who habituate this forum, view shooting through precision oriented eyes. Obtaining precision rifles is the easy part - learning, "how to shoot", not so much. RG

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dolores Co
    Posts
    136

    The Motherload aint where you think it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    One can read & read some more - ultimately, you'll find the answers between your ears . . . or, not. Most people, who habituate this forum, view shooting through precision oriented eyes. Obtaining precision rifles is the easy part - learning, "how to shoot", not so much. RG
    The last sentence of the above quote is without a doubt the truest quote I have ever read, ever.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by WC_Harr View Post
    Guys,

    I've been shooting about two months now and it occurs to me I've never really found "the motherload" of information about shooting. Lots of good articles on websites, Ryan Cleckner's book, Lanny Bassham's book, bits and scraps from the forums. Where is the motherload? I'm just connecting dots from a comment here and a statement there.

    And what I've found is like 97% focused on the external factors like ballistics and next to nothing on the internal factors like performance under pressure, kinesthetic training, and mental skill and overall body/mind skill. Lanny Bassham's book is about general mental management for shooting but he doesn't get into the details such as dry firing specifically for the type of shooting I am doing. I'm sure what I'm looking for is out there but I'm still fumbling around for it.

    I mean, I've already hit steel at 1000 yards and I'm hitting everything at 600 and 800. What I want is to own everything under 800 yards first time every time under intense pressure, be it hunting, competition shooting, or God forbid, tactical shooting.

    Any direction you suggest will be appreciated.

    It is very important to get acquainted with others that shoot benchrest in your area. It may be necessary to drive a bit to where matches are being held. You will need some help to get started.

    As far as what you call 'the mother load of information' you will find 99 percent of it in two fairly recent books; Mike Ratigan's book, 'Extreme Rifle Accuracy' and Tony Boyer's book "The Book of Rifle Accuracy. They can be ordered from most all benchrest supply such as Bruno's, Shooter's Corner, Brownells, etc

    Best of luck to you in your journey. It's a long but fascinating study. Monitor this forum daily and ask lots of questions. Be patient and have fun !

    Gene Beggs

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    428
    The adage by one smarter than me goes, “Winning is luck and the more I practice the luckier I get”. Get the attention of a good teacher, listen to everything they say, and practice, practice, practice. Randy Robinett and Gene Beggs put out very good information here.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Beggs View Post
    It is very important to get acquainted with others that shoot benchrest in your area. It may be necessary to drive a bit to where matches are being held. You will need some help to get started.

    As far as what you call 'the mother load of information' you will find 99 percent of it in two fairly recent books; Mike Ratigan's book, 'Extreme Rifle Accuracy' and Tony Boyer's book "The Book of Rifle Accuracy. They can be ordered from most all benchrest supply such as Bruno's, Shooter's Corner, Brownells, etc

    Best of luck to you in your journey. It's a long but fascinating study. Monitor this forum daily and ask lots of questions. Be patient and have fun !

    Gene Beggs
    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •