Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope ring lapping and bedding

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Shaw View Post
    You can feel the difference when tightening bedded rings as apposed to "out of the box" rings. I hate scarred up scopes, lapping and bedding solves that. Plus, I have made 30MM to 1" inserts out of aluminum. Talk about a solid lock down tightening those!
    Well said, Wayne. -Al

The base bedding is more apparent on this one. This is on the infamous 'Red Hammer' gun after being rubbed on by Stan Ware and it's Lazurus-like resurrection. There's also bedding between the ring and the dovetail base:

I also had some BAT rings on it. Again, you can see the bedding compound. The rings themselves had not been bedded at this point but you can see that the bottoms have been lapped

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 03-19-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Al,

Understood, and thanks for your reply. Could you detail your base bedding procedure, please.

Also, in the first picture of the Red Hammer, I noted the dowel pin in the base to prevent slippage. Is that something you did, or do they come like that?

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    Al, Understood, and thanks for your reply. Could you detail your base bedding procedure, please.

Also, in the first picture of the Red Hammer, I noted the dowel pin in the base to prevent slippage. Is that something you did, or do they come like that? Justin
    Justin, that's something I added. -Al

Finally got back to this one. Lapped the top ring halves. They were pretty round out of the box.

Since there wasn't much taken off, the Pro Bed was thinned a bit. Chamfered the edges and the gun is ready for a scope and some range time.

With our racing season on hold, maybe some range work can start this week.

Good shootin'. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Finally got back to this one. Lapped the top ring halves. They were pretty round out of the box.
    Since there wasn't much taken off, the Pro Bed was thinned a bit. Chamfered the edges and the gun is ready for a scope and some range time.
    Good shootin'. -Al
    Can't wait to learn about THAT! RG

Racing fumes

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Can't wait to learn about THAT! RG
    Unconfirmed by CDC but...... rumor is Racing Gas fumes kills Covid 19. Just sayin
    Wally

Hi Al. This is all really great stuff.

Thank you for taking the time for taking photo's and explaining what you do and why.

Very much appreciated!

* doggie *

Cool way back when

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post

Good shootin'. -Al
    in 70s used ground rod to lap scoje rings

Since the tube on the 36 Leupolds is so thin, it was not uncommon to get thoroughly used scopes with distorted tubes, probably from overclamping in out of round rings.
    Copied from above--

Another way scopes get 'distorted' is not using one of those Leupold wrenches to turn in the lower 1/2 of the ring but using the scope to twist em in---yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by cootrp3 View Post
    Would the Burris Z rings with the inserts eliminate the need for lapping? Just asking. Thanks.
    I have lapped, bedded, used alignment tools, etc. I guess I have become lazy in my old age. Now I use the Burris signature Z rings on almost everything unless weight is an issue. They are not always the solution, and they will slip if used with a heavy scope and a high recoiling setup ( like a 300 Ultra Mag Sporter for example). They are not available for 34MM scopes. They also are not available in a very low configuration. I use them on all my hunting rifles, my 600 yd. gun, and my rimfires.