Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unregistered Matches v. Registered Matches

I mostly like

visiting old friends now but I rarely shoot "Club Matches". Just doesn't feel right to me somehow. I like the idea of shooting in a big organization that has a set of rules for everyone in that organization, period. I've never loved shooting just for the sake of shooting. Guns, to me, have always been a tool and that's it. Now, I haven't always agreed with the rules in the Orgs but I suppose others are like me as well but one makes the choice to either accept them or not shoot under them. @ 75, it's mostly about visiting with old friends now.

I was fortunate enough to win Score Shooter of the Year once in IBS HBR and I must say, it was the most hollow achievement I've ever experienced. I don't know if it's a lack of ego or what but the trophy sat on my coffee table for a year and exactly two people commented on it and neither asked any questions about it. I decided then that there had to be more to competing than winning something nobody had much appreciation for so I stopped going full bore at it. It's a lot more fun, for me, to just enjoy the trip, wherever it goes and the people on it with me.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 03-13-2020 at 09:53 AM.

If one doesn’t want to win why does one go to a match, registered or not???? Why not go to the range when there isn’t a crowd? I can see after the match is over his saying I was just here to have fun but then for me that would be a lie. Why were tuners invented? Why mess around with an accurate powder measure if one doesn’t want to shoot better? Why not go preloaded with any old powder? Why not leave that old shot out barrel on that rifle for sentimental reasons? I never understood democratic attendance awards. Nope. I go to win, not win at all costs, mind you. I go to have fun and winning makes it more fun. I’m neither a bad loser or a bad winner. After the game is over we can all go home as friends.

I realize

not everyone feels the way I do about this area in life. I've been involved in competitive sports since High School but I've never been a win at all costs person. If I win, fine but if I don't that's fine too. I have 97 IBS Agg patches so I haven't exactly not tried to win but I don't understand the mentality of winning at all costs. I also don't understand the concept of joy so that may be part of this.

Pete

Francis, you’ve asked an interesting question. For me, winning is not particularly important; however, I do like to compare my results to: (a) those of other BR shooters who are shooting in much the same conditions as me, and (b) my past results (that were measured using the same measuring technique/tools as my current results).

I’m not looking for “democratic attendance awards” when I shoot, I just like to shoot -- and I’d rather shoot in a competitive environment than at “the range when there isn’t a crowd.” You know, I’d never have met you if I had not been at a match one day a few years ago.

As for the “winning makes it more fun” part, I’m not convinced that the additional fun of winning justifies the hassle involved in being focused on winning.
    Last edited by Hunter; 03-13-2020 at 01:31 PM.

I’m with you, Pete. You just say it better.

I didn’t shoot particularly well that weekend, Hunter, but I left the range on Sunday afternoon knowing I had done my best with what I had. The other guys shot better and that’s fine too. I had a good time and that’s important. It’s all a learning experience.

some people just like to shoot
    I shot club score for years same guys different winners in all but the
    single "benchrest" class. that was one of three on most months.
    but
    it was
    cheap TWO DOLLARS per class
    fast per class, 10 or 20 shots in just one or two sittings
    fun

I'm with you

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    some people just like to shoot
    I shot club score for years same guys different winners in all but the
    single "benchrest" class. that was one of three on most months.
    but
    it was
    cheap TWO DOLLARS per class
    fast per class, 10 or 20 shots in just one or two sittings
    fun
    i love to shoot. I get just as much enjoyment out of going to a club .22 RF 100 or 200 yard shoot and exercising a 52 or 37 as I do at CF IBS shoots. I just try to shoot the best I can, the results aren't important other than showing me the I or my equipment or technique needs massaging. I like the people who compete, the early suppers next to the four foot fireplace at the whales tooth pub, the stops at Liberty Tool, etc. Whats not to like about a rifle match??

Having read the above posts and talked with and emailed several shooters outside the forum, I’ve got new insight on the subject of post #1, as discussed below.

As for score shooters in my general part of the country: first, there appears to be a match most every weekend during the shooting season that is within “reasonable” driving distances and many of the shooters may not have much time (or motivation) left for shooting unregistered matches; second, the points chase is a BIG draw, even for those shooters who don’t have a realistic chance of winning SOY; and third, they are like “family and it’s like having a family reunion most every weekend.

As for group shooters in my general part of the country, the only things I can see are: one, they don't trust their fellow shooters with the absence of a moving backer; and two registered matches just create more "buzz" than do club matches -- for example, the opportunity to: (a) shoot with several (or many) celebrity-type shooters; (b) enjoy the "family reunion" aspect mentioned above; and (c) be part of a "happening."

For now, I'm thinking I may have answered my question; however, feel free to share other ideas.
    Last edited by Hunter; 03-14-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Registered vs Unregistered?

Look at the names of competitors at the recently held Cactus.Some on that list shoot regularly at local Club matches. Some have their own private ranges. Others shoot at ranges close by.

What I take from seeing this cactus match report is, just because you play Golf with Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson doesn’t make you a better golfer. The limiting factor in Benchrest is a place to shoot.

Registered or unregistered, the key to skill development is trigger time. Get it anywhere you can. A true Benchrest competitor understands that its he/she against the elements.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    The limiting factor in Benchrest is a place to shoot.
    Part of what prompted this thread is that I know of one club, near a major population area, that has a LOT of members and holds club-type BR matches most months; however, the average attendance is very small.

It seems as though the concept of, "If you [hold] it, [they] will come" does not apply to club-type BR matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Part of what prompted this thread is that I know of one club, near a major population area, that has a LOT of members and holds club-type BR matches most months; however, the average attendance is very small.

It seems as though the concept of, "If you [hold] it, [they] will come" does not apply to club-type BR matches.
    I didn't read all the previous responses(suggestions). Do you think a change in venue, group,score. poker chips etc.
    would have an impact on attendance. What do the local accuracy buffs around your area like? Score is most popular around this area.

Glenn

It boils down to how much money you intend to spend on Benchrest shooting. Doesn't matter how much money you have available but rather how much you intend to spend. It takes quite a bit of money to stay competitive while not so much just to shoot bullets through a piece of paper.

Dang Wilbur, you always cut right to the point and make it dead simple.
    I don't think it can be said much better.

Joe Hynes

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    It boils down to how much money you intend to spend on Benchrest shooting. Doesn't matter how much money you have available but rather how much you intend to spend. It takes quite a bit of money to stay competitive while not so much just to shoot bullets through a piece of paper.
    I didn't intend to spend this much Wilbur... Lucky to have any left over to buy used patches after race car upgrades for this season.

Later
    Dave