Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got beat up today by a 7mm Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    ...Is that with or without the Cigars?
    Could never look at those old movies where they took the cigar out, rolled between the fingers & sniffed it without laughing.

Shame on you John !!. Watching those old movies will never be the same! : )

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 03-03-2020 at 08:23 PM.

I also got beat up by a 7 mm Remmington Magnum

Just a few years ago, when I was a young man who knew everything, our gun club held Turkey shoots twice a year with all sorts of events. One of these was twelve contestants shooting three shots at a bulls eye target at 50 yards offhand with our deer rifles for the prize of a turkey. The ten ring was about 2 inches and the X ring was an about an inch. Using my trusty 22-250, I tied with a friend who was shooting a Saco 7 mm Remington Magnum. We both had a score of 30 with one in the X ring. That score would have won the turkey in most of our matches. We had to have a shoot off of another three shots at the same target. My magnum shooting friend tried to shake me up in a couple of ways. He suggested we set our targets at 100 yards and I agreed. He also tried to put pressure on me by asking me to shoot all of my three shots first. I was just cockey enough to agree. I planed to give him something good enough to put the pressure on him. Well I did just that. I fired three shots into the ten ring with two in the X ring. It was a feat that would be hard to beat with our hunting rifles from a bench. In my mind, I had set a mark that would not be equaled. Well he picked up that beautiful sharp kicking rifle and proceeded to put three holes in the X ring.

He deserved the turkey.

What????? You Texans weren’t shooting from the hip?

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    What????? You Texans weren’t shooting from the hip?
    Oh no! It wasn't anything like that. We were just shooting off our horses.

Concho Bill

getting beat up

The worst Ive been beat up by a gun was dove hunting , when there were a lot of doves, go out and shoot a limit. Go out the next day and shoot a limit. They would get educated and put the moves on ya when you stood up to shoot needless to say my average wasn't too good. My shoulder would be black and blue from trap loads in a 12 guage but it sure was fun. Sometimes it took 2 boxes of shells for me to get a limit. Doug

It looks like you survived & thrived, Jackie. Next time, put a BRAKE on it - but, then, he'd have to get a new case!RG

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    The worst Ive been beat up by a gun was dove hunting , when there were a lot of doves, go out and shoot a limit. Go out the next day and shoot a limit. They would get educated and put the moves on ya when you stood up to shoot needless to say my average wasn't too good. My shoulder would be black and blue from trap loads in a 12 guage but it sure was fun. Sometimes it took 2 boxes of shells for me to get a limit. Doug
    Doug

I used to shoot a lot of trap and live birds, and no matter how good you think you are there are days nothing seems to work. If you need a lift on an off day get a laff by using one of these excuses.

I will never let my wife reload for me again!

I just like to see them fly!

Need to leave some for seed!

To much atmosphere and not enough target!

The last one is my favorite.

Mort

My old boss had a beaut ...... after a particularly egregious miss he's drop his gun and stand there shaking his head . . . . . . "Yonder flies a dead bird!"

old hunts

You just witnessed a miracle a dead bird flew off. I miss those old dove hunts duck hunts quail hunts. My dad used to get his old pointer to roll over on his back and he acted like he was twisting his nuts. He would say , There hes set on quail. Ah, the old days. Doug

I bought a plastic stocked Savage 110 with a hard rubber buttpad, might as well been a piece of oak, in 7mm Magnum several years ago. Shot 3 shots & said screw this, went home & ordered a Pachmyer Decelerator?? & installed it to shoot off the remaining 17 rounds. Traded the gun thereafter & have never wanted another!
    I never flinched shooting before I bought that gun & it took me a few years to get rid of them.
    I feel for ya Jackie!

Keith

About 15 years ago, my brother asked me to sight in a 12 ga 3" pump action slug gun that he had just bought for a Pennsylvania deer hunt. Won't do that again.

If you think the 7 mag is rough try the 7 mm Ultra Mag. My son has one that I shot twice, but not in the same day. I must have had a lapse of memory when I shot it the second time. I came away bleeding both times.

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Funny thing about some Guns. You know its gonna hurt before you shoot it, but for the love of guns and curiosity, you shoot it anyway. "Ouch"

Glen
    I hear that Glenn. I came away with a black & blue shoulder awhile back from the range running perhaps 20 rounds through my Win, 88 in .284. I knew it was gonna work on me ( at 150 lbs. but didn't care. Went to a local pub later wearing a very short sleeve T shirt, ( whereby...all could see) The laughter still rings in my ears, and that was $0 years ago !

I don't know about the rabbit

I had a friend a few years back who enjoyed hunting rifles. He had a .375 H&H and a .416 as well as several others rifles. The friend has long since passed on and this story was told to me by one of his sons. The son was a teenager at the time and together with some other young idiots they went rabbit one night with his father's rifles. They were driving around a ranch in a pickup shooting jack rabbits with a .222. One of his friends who had never shot a center fire rifle before was having a blast with the .222 that they were passing around. Well as kids would do someone passed the .416 to the unsuspecting young man. I could finish this story but you know where this is going. I did hear that the young shooter was angry.

Concho Bill