Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got beat up today by a 7mm Mag

I got beat up today by a 7mm Mag

I was at a retirement party a few weeks ago for a long time business associate, several of us were sitting at the table and the subject of Rifles came up.

A business associate said he had a really nice Remington 700 that would not shoot. 2”+ groups at 100 was the norm.

I made the mistake of opening my big mouth and before I knew it, I was talked in to seeing if I could find out the problem. The fact that the senior Vice President of our biggest customer also suggested I could fix it didn’t help

The guy brought the rifle by my shop last week, along with 5 different boxes of Different factory ammo. Federal 150 with Gamekings, Hornady 139 interlock, Winchester 160 Accubond, Federal 165 Gameking, and Remington 150 Corelocs.

I checked the rifle out and everything looked ok. This is a ultra light 700 BDL with a skinny fluted barrel. The only thing I figured I could do is give it a good bedding job, which I did.

We went to the range this morning, and he was right, the thing shot really bad with 4 of the 5 brands. On the forth batch of ammo, the 165 Federal, it suddenly came to life. I shot a three shot group at about .550, resighted it, and then shot 4 more three shot groups that all went under an inch, one even about a mid “six”.

He is going to Africa in May, and this will be his Plains Rifle. That Federal 165 looks like it is the hot ticket.

It amazed me how bad the other loads shot. That skinny barrel just needed something it liked.

Anyway, Shooting a ultra light 7 mm Mag off the bench that many times isn’t that much fun. But I felt a good deal of satisfaction knowing I was able to work with it and get it to shooting about as good as one could hope for. I am also pleased that the most accurate ammo is the 165 Federal, which is loaded with a Sierra Gamekings.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1583103149

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1583103288

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1583103598

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1583106480
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	23347   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	306 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	23348   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	237 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	23349   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	257 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	23350   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	249 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	23351  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-01-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Jackie,

I recall maybe 50 or so years back, a guy came down to our range just back from Ceylon (that's how long ago it was). Seems his XYZ scope had fogged up and he missed his leopard.

His splinter fore end BRNO .375 Holland was now fitted with a 2½ power Leupold & off his elbows and a slightly padded block of wood resting the rifle, a bit of blanket between him & the concrete bench, he shot cloverleaf group after cloverleaf group without nosebleed or lacerated elbows.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    Jackie,

I recall maybe 50 or so years back, a guy came down to our range just back from Ceylon (that's how long ago it was). Seems his XYZ scope had fogged up and he missed his leopard.

His splinter fore end BRNO .375 Holland was now fitted with a 2½ power Leupold & off his elbows and a slightly padded block of wood resting the rifle, a bit of blanket between him & the concrete bench, he shot cloverleaf group after cloverleaf group without nosebleed or lacerated elbows.

Wow!
    He's a better man than I am!

I don't doubt

you did! That's a hefty bullet at 7mm Rem Mag velocity. My achilles heal in the rack is a browning safari in .308 Norma with a 180. I feel for you!!

.375 h&h

I have a.375 H&H that I built back in 94 to go to Africa. It's around 10 pounds, but it's in a MPI coil-check stock. It gives a straight back recoil. Pillar bedded with a Douglas XX barrel. It shoots .6moa at 100yards. It still only has around 100 rounds thru is due to an old shoulder injury. I should probably take it out and shoot it the next time my nephew visits.

Funny thing about some Guns. You know its gonna hurt before you shoot it, but for the love of guns and curiosity, you shoot it anyway. "Ouch"

Glen

Those pencil barrels with a big cartridge shake like an intern in Bill Clinton's office.

Good stuff, Jackie. -Al

I will sometimes sight in a hunting rifle for my friends. I have neck issues and can't deal with much recoil so I use a Lead Sled with two 10 pound weights. The last one I did was the 7MM Mag. The recoil would move the scope quite aways from target center so I was always readjusting more than I was used to.

That is a hot cartridge!

Mort

Trail Boss

I was thinking of loading some reduced loads in my .375 H&H using Trail Boss powder and a cheap bullet for plinking and maybe shooting deer. Might be fun to show up some of these yahoos at the range. I would shoot a couple of the light loads and then let them shoot the "Magnum" using full loads.

you are a mean evil man...I like the way you think!

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    I was thinking of loading some reduced loads in my .375 H&H using Trail Boss powder and a cheap bullet for plinking and maybe shooting deer. Might be fun to show up some of these yahoos at the range. I would shoot a couple of the light loads and then let them shoot the "Magnum" using full loads.

recoil

The older I get I like 223, 220 swift, 243s that size stuff. Ive got steel in my neck too. The biggest thing I shoot anymore is a 3006 with 150s and that's enough. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Those pencil barrels with a big cartridge shake like an intern in Bill Clinton's office. -Al

...Is that with or without the Cigars?

Glenn

I was once "the bigger the better" kind of guy...but haven't been that guy for as long as I can remember. That's really about two hours on a good day but those big boomers are a genuine trip.

Glad you found something that would shoot OK and I hope for your sake that it doesn't fail someday. You're the go to guy right now!!!

Yea Wilbur, I liked to shoot thru em lengthways 300 wyb. 300 win. Im over that now. Take a 308 and try to hit em behind the shoulder. Got more to eat to. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I was once "the bigger the better" kind of guy...but haven't been that guy for as long as I can remember. That's really about two hours on a good day but those big boomers are a genuine trip.

Glad you found something that would shoot OK and I hope for your sake that it doesn't fail someday. You're the go to guy right now!!!
    Yeh Wilbur, I guess I should be thankful he didn’t have a 338 Ultra Mag and five boxes of ammo.

Funny thing, while we were all sitting around discussing that Rifle, it never dawned on me I was too darned old to be shooting something like that off the bench that many times. Next time I will suggest finding someone on the south side of 70.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-03-2020 at 05:51 PM.