Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bore cleaning discoveries?

Kim Jong-un bore cleaner

Plutonium 239 being an alpha emitter would remove the surface copper and carbon from the bore without injuring the underling steel. The contamination with Pu 240 which causes it to fission too soon would be an asset as fission would occur in front of the bullet scrubbing the bore in front of the projectile. There is, of course, the thorny problem of barrel life. Tim

Not sure of the actual results of research compiled on St Patrick's Day Tim. Did you factor in Jamisons Irish whisky?

An explosive combination

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    Not sure of the actual results of research compiled on St Patrick's Day Tim. Did you factor in Jamisons Irish whisky?
    Dave, I did not. That stuff is too dangerous...especially combined with an Irishman. Tim

I know better

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    Plutonium 239 being an alpha emitter would remove the surface copper and carbon from the bore without injuring the underling steel. The contamination with Pu 240 which causes it to fission too soon would be an asset as fission would occur in front of the bullet scrubbing the bore in front of the projectile. There is, of course, the thorny problem of barrel life. Tim
    Tim is not being completely forthcoming... I watched him in Phoenix, he has a Flux Capacitor installed on his cleaning rod and after every match, he sends his barrels back in time to right after the first fouling shot when the barrel was new...

Once Again

Broke out a 308 deer rifle I had recently chambered and shot maybe 20 rnds thru it before deer season. Again I had carbon on the lands and grooves for 6 inches in front of the throat that I thought I had removed. Three Isso patches finally got it out. Im learning.

Talking Tim's Top Secret Bore Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    Tim has kept this a secret for years. He has over his lifetime realized that the acidic content in red wine will remove any crude of any kind. His Top Secret cleaning regimen is as follows: Open a bottle of red wine (vineyard and date are unimportant). Remove the cork (Alternate unscrew the cap). take a small swallow to test acidity(make sure bottle chugs three times). If acidic content is verified, pour small amount into a jigger. Dip a COVID19 free cotton patch into the ruby elixir and places it on a 6061-T6 jag and runs it once down his barrel. Since the wine in the jigger is now contaminated, dispose of it where it will be safe. check for any loose cotton strands on the tongue. this must be repeated several times before the barrel is completely free of all carbon and copper.