Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify this rifle!! Rare??

Please help me identify this rifle!! Rare??

Here’s what I know:

Winchester Model 70
    .22-250
    Benchrest shooter
    Water cooler barrel.
    Yes I said water cooled... I’ve scoured the internet and talked to everyone I know. I’ve been told there’s always someone on here that can identify anything. Here’s the test!

https://m.imgur.com/a/2zhz2GK

I think it's a varmint rifle modified for use on a setup like the old "War Wagon" for high-volume Richardson's ground squeerrel shooting...... a water pumped sagerat setup.

I'd consider it shot clean out for starters and it's definitely not a "benchrest rifle" as defined here.

Your brave Al, clicking on a link from a guy with 1 post.

The spammers have been relentless lately.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe View Post
    Your brave Al, clicking on a link from a guy with 1 post.

The spammers have been relentless lately.

Joe

I figured worst case you guys would see my handle on 24hrcampfire and give me a shot. Pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I think it's a varmint rifle modified for use on a setup like the old "War Wagon" for high-volume Richardson's ground squeerrel shooting...... a water pumped sagerat setup.

I'd consider it shot clean out for starters and it's definitely not a "benchrest rifle" as defined here.
    I appreciate your response but maybe I could get it in “I don’t know anything about benchrest” English?

How cool is that??

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

How is it not a benchrest rifle? It’s heavy as hell and has a benchrest stock?

Thumbs down

That stock is not a benchrest stock. Do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceow717 View Post
    I've been a member of 24hr Campfire for over 15years. I guess I missed your posts. It may qualify for the unlimited class, but would be far from competitive. Even in the olden days it would not have been competitive. As mentioned, it is a rat or PD rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by cootrp3 View Post
    That stock is not a benchrest stock. Do some research.
    You could always help educate me rather than try and make me look dumb. I literally just said I don’t know anything about benchrest shooting. If someone asks me a question about a field that I am knowledgeable and I try to help them or at least point them in the right direction rather than just tell them the verbiage that they are using is wrong and they should do some more research. “There’s no such thing as a stupid question”

Thanks.

While it's not a true Benchrest competition gun, it's certainly a heavy rig meant to shoot from a bench. Looks like a lot of work and thought went into it. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    While it's not a true Benchrest competition gun, it's certainly a heavy rig meant to shoot from a bench. Looks like a lot of work and thought went into it. -Al
    I appreciate that. Could you define “benchrest gun” for me? I guess I made a leap in thinking that a gun made to be shot from a rest on a bench was in fact a “benchrest gun”. Clearly that is not the case, so what’s the legal definition?

I remember seeing a version of that system in an old Precision Shooting magazine, probably 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceow717 View Post
    This is what prompted me to answer in the manner I did. You made it sound like you knew what you were talking about and we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by penn63 View Post
    This is what prompted me to answer in the manner I did. You made it sound like you knew what you were talking about and we didn't.
    Negative Ghost Rider... that was a legitimate question. I do however realize this is the internet and everyone is going to assume you’re being a douche no matter how you phrase things. Lol.