Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: newbie question about the bench setup at my range

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16

    Red face newbie question about the bench setup at my range

    Guys, I'm new to shooting altogether as of the last six weeks and my question is on what happens when I get to my local rifle range which I went to today for the third time. I'm normal height, six foot, but these wooden bench seats seemed way too tall for the height of the tabletop. I literally couldn't scrunch down over the table and still have my natural cheek weld. So I had to use a block of wood under the bipod to essentially raise the table height. And the wood block rocked back and forth sideways destabilizing my cant.

    But what really surprised me was a couple of people had brought fixed, wooden milking stools that were even higher than the wooden bench seats! What the h*ll?

    I saw on here that people like the Sinclair stool but the other problem at this rifle range is the ground is very sloped and very uneven. I need something more like a three legged milk stool with adjustable length legs maybe. Any recommendations?

    Thanks

    WC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,644
    Get yourself a drummers stool, or perch as some call it. Infinitely variable, comfortable, comes apart, folds up.

    I have been using this one for over 20 years. Bought it at a pawn shop.

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1581733269

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1581733382
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	23297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	23298  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 02-14-2020 at 09:28 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    118
    drummers THRONE
    TRY USED musical in craigs list

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,808
    Ahhh, Jackie sent pictures of the ones they use in OZ..... getcherself an American chair so's it sets right-way-up!


    I believe the Sinclair stools are well worth the investment, and I'm as Scotch as tape.


    https://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...prod33584.aspx

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Ahhh, Jackie sent pictures of the ones they use in OZ..... getcherself an American chair so's it sets right-way-up!


    I believe the Sinclair stools are well worth the investment, and I'm as Scotch as tape.


    https://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...prod33584.aspx
    But looking at the legs, is this going to work on uneven and sloped ground?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,808
    Quote Originally Posted by WC_Harr View Post
    But looking at the legs, is this going to work on uneven and sloped ground?
    Sorry, I was unclear. NO, it will not work on uneven or sloped ground.... but neither will what you describe as a milking stool or a drummer's throne. My way is to bring a piece of plywood and some scraps to use as dunnage to make a flat surface

    My definition of "milking stool" is one-legged, and yes I've spent many hours on one. And it might work probably better than a 3-4-5 legged stool right on the ground.... But I've never tried it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,331

    Shooting stool

    Ive had this one for over 20 years. it has individual adjustable legs. May work at your range. It doubles as a seat in my deer hunting ground blind.

    https://www.yescomusa.com/products/m...0aAkHPEALw_wcB


    Glenn

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    400
    Wow. Just how uneven is that firing line surface. Iíve never encountered ground my Tama drummerís throne didnít set on. Scrape it level with the side of your boot.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Manhattan & Sag Harbor, N.Y.
    Posts
    502
    My first time around I went the cheap route through Amazon and it was almost impossible to lock the height in tight enough on the Drummer's Throne, that I bought, so that it would not slip down after a few ups and downs. Finally went to a Musical Equipment store here in Manhattan and tried a bunch of them before buying the one I use now. Not cheap but, better size, better constructed and stays where it is adjusted with a threaded stop on the main support. BTW, I am 185 pounds dressed so the cheap one moving was not because of excess weight.

    Bob

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    My first time around I went the cheap route through Amazon and it was almost impossible to lock the height in tight enough on the Drummer's Throne, that I bought, so that it would not slip down after a few ups and downs. Finally went to a Musical Equipment store here in Manhattan and tried a bunch of them before buying the one I use now. Not cheap but, better size, better constructed and stays where it is adjusted with a threaded stop on the main support. BTW, I am 185 pounds dressed so the cheap one moving was not because of excess weight.

    Bob
    Had a problem with the height of my shooting stool staying constant. Went to home depot and bought some pipe nipples in 1-4" lengths to adjust the height of the stool to fit the bench height.
    The heck with the thumbscrews.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Sorry, I was unclear. NO, it will not work on uneven or sloped ground.... but neither will what you describe as a milking stool or a drummer's throne. My way is to bring a piece of plywood and some scraps to use as dunnage to make a flat surface

    My definition of "milking stool" is one-legged, and yes I've spent many hours on one. And it might work probably better than a 3-4-5 legged stool right on the ground.... But I've never tried it
    "dunnage"?! You must be a Navy man.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Ive had this one for over 20 years. it has individual adjustable legs. May work at your range. It doubles as a seat in my deer hunting ground blind.

    https://www.yescomusa.com/products/m...0aAkHPEALw_wcB


    Glenn
    That one looks like a strong contender but I think I'm going to try this one first:
    https://chamachairs.com/product/chama-chair/

    It has three legs, good for uneven ground, and extendable, good for sloped ground. Thanks, guys!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,243
    Just my opinion,,,but don't buy that one to use for shooting.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    24
    I strongly suggest a drummer's stool or throne with height adjustment. I got one because of the problem you encountered with the added "benefit" of neck pain after I finished.

    As others have said, I can't imagine a range with that much of a slope at the benches.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    180

    the yester yearsi

    in 1970s saw an old piano stool being used for sawhorse o a old camp platform at a camp on back road it had been sitting ther for couple yrs ihad jiust started shooting benchest with no money painted up still use it today better than than any new ones I have bought

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •