Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A situation I have seen several times:

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Dave, itís more of an old habit. I get all of the heavy cutting out of the way, leaving a tad of stock on all critic fits before I final indicate and do the finish operations.

Since the OD fits nothing but air, you are correct.
    thanks
    I understand old habits. I try and pay attention to the good ones that have stood the test of time.
    Last edited by Dave Tooley; 02-17-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    I have seen at least 4 and mebby 5 rifles that came from more than one Smith with shoulders on barrels that weren't perpendicular to the tenon. How can this happen? Seems practically impossible yet it happened. Barrels don't stay tight long !

Pete
    Letís say someone chambers a barrel with the current popular method of moving the muzzle around to get two points running true at the chamber end. Then it gets set back a thread by someone setting the barrel up between centers. That shoulder just became out of square to the threads.

Iíve seen a lot of actions that only have one thread cut out at the front of the receiver for thread relief. On a 18 pitch thread thatís just .055Ē of thread relief. Thatís not enough in my opinion unless you want to take a chance of crashing the threading tool into the shoulder. A thread relief groove on the tenon certainly doesnít hurt a thing and does make it easier cutting the threads. I had an old barrel that I set up for a fire forming barrel cutting about a 3/8Ē thread relief then rechambered with my reamer. It was uncanny how well it shot when I first rechambered it. Of course, it doesnít shoot that well now after fireforming brass 100 at a time as fast as you can do it.
    Last edited by Mike Bryant; 02-22-2020 at 12:44 PM.

More I think about this, youíd have to have some serious misalignment and/or a scary tight thread engagement to not allow a shoulder to lockup evenly.

Let's assume all the work was done in one setup. Even if it was done between centers the shoulder would have a uniform angle in relation to the threads. It may not be perfectly 90 degrees but it would be uniform. Assuming the action is perfect, meaning the face and threads were perfect and exactly 90 degrees apart, any deviation from 90 degree on the barrel shoulder would mean either the ID or the OD of the barrel shoulder would make contact. Just might be your problem.
    How does it happen. Headstock misalignment, Cross feed either not perfectly perpendicular to the headstock or the ways , tool/work piece flex when facing off the shoulder. I take a plunge cut of a few thou with a grooving tool then slowly feed back out shaving a tenth or two more off with no load. Then there's the action which we all assume is perfect. Many ways this can go slightly sideways.