Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: FFL Requirements - Buildings / Security

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    400
    How do you know?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,559
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    How do you know?
    Francis, if Al said it, it is true.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    400
    Iím sorry Butch. I lost my head for a moment there.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    1,948
    Iíve had a FFL in Texas since sometime in the 80ís. I was just inspected for the first time this year. Fortunately it was an announced visit by the ATF agent and I had time to make sure everything was in order. All personal firearms were tagged with tags from Brownells stating not for sale personal firearms. I made sure that every other firearm that was there was accounted for and was logged in to either a Purchased for sale log book or a gunsmithing log book. He went though all of the 4437ís and made sure they were properly filled out. Checked that everything that was logged in that hadnít been logged back out was still in the vault and accounted for and checked serial numbers against serial numbers in the log book. The personal firearms with the tags were of no interest to him. Only what was logged in. Pretty simple inspection for a manufacturers license with not a lot of inventory in stock. It took about an hour. Iím pretty sure he isoected every FFL in the county the same day. Very few FFLís in Wheeler County unlike some of the more populous counties. He did ask about a security system which I have. He said secure storage was as good as any heíd seen.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    400
    For the most part these agents want an uneventful visit. Hence, the announced visit. Iíve had the same experience here. The first visit was by an agent Martinez. I had built a powder cabinet for gun powder out of used lumber. it was a classy looking cabinet but the boards that were used to build the doors were taboo. They had to be plywood. He didnít gig (Army term) me for the lumber doors but he told me heíd check back again in two weeks. I expected a visit but instead he gave me a ring on the phone. He asked if had changed the doors and if i was finished. I told him I was and he was welcome to drop in. He told me that wasnít necessary.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,559
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    For the most part these agents want an uneventful visit. Hence, the announced visit. Iíve had the same experience here. The first visit was by an agent Martinez. I had built a powder cabinet for gun powder out of used lumber. it was a classy looking cabinet but the boards that were used to build the doors were taboo. They had to be plywood. He didnít gig (Army term) me for the lumber doors but he told me heíd check back again in two weeks. I expected a visit but instead he gave me a ring on the phone. He asked if had changed the doors and if i was finished. I told him I was and he was welcome to drop in. He told me that wasnít necessary.
    Francis, I had a lot of powder, but was not asked about a powder cabinet.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    400
    I guess it depends on the agent and circumstances. Agent Rodriquez was interested in paperwork first and then the powder and primers.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,820
    They didn't ask me.... but I store my powder in old fridges, in an outbuilding, with a light (Clue anyone?) and I volunteered this information as we play with a lotta' booms and I'm intimately familiar with the in-and-outs of storing/tending dynamite etc.

    I point the doors away from everything and each other.

    They really like the refrigerator idea

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
    Iíve had a FFL in Texas since sometime in the 80ís. I was just inspected for the first time this year. Fortunately it was an announced visit by the ATF agent and I had time to make sure everything was in order. All personal firearms were tagged with tags from Brownells stating not for sale personal firearms. I made sure that every other firearm that was there was accounted for and was logged in to either a Purchased for sale log book or a gunsmithing log book. He went though all of the 4437ís and made sure they were properly filled out. Checked that everything that was logged in that hadnít been logged back out was still in the vault and accounted for and checked serial numbers against serial numbers in the log book. The personal firearms with the tags were of no interest to him. Only what was logged in. Pretty simple inspection for a manufacturers license with not a lot of inventory in stock. It took about an hour. Iím pretty sure he isoected every FFL in the county the same day. Very few FFLís in Wheeler County unlike some of the more populous counties. He did ask about a security system which I have. He said secure storage was as good as any heíd seen.
    Mike,
    Is the tagging requirement for personal firearms limited to those that are stored in the same location as customer firearms? In other words, I intend to maintain my personal firearms in my residence thus keeping non-personal firearms in a secured area in my shop. Next time I'm up in the Panhandle, I'd like to come by and meet you.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by TX COWDOC View Post
    Mike,
    Is the tagging requirement for personal firearms limited to those that are stored in the same location as customer firearms? In other words, I intend to maintain my personal firearms in my residence thus keeping non-personal firearms in a secured area in my shop. Next time I'm up in the Panhandle, I'd like to come by and meet you.
    I'm sure the tagging personal firearms is for personal firearms in a secured area of the shop. They don't care about your personal firearms in your house or whether they are tagged or not, just what you have where you conduct your FFL business. When we built my shop we poured a 12'x12' walk in vault with 8" concrete walls and ceiling. It has a used vault door that came out of a National Guard armory in Norman. They must not have had it long as it was almost new when I bought it from a lock and key place in OKC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •