Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from a New Member - Beginning my journey to building my own Rifle

Greetings from a New Member - Beginning my journey to building my own Rifle

Hello,
    Iím a long-time lurker and decided to register so I can get some feedback. I am a shooter / hunter and have had varied experiences with custom rifle builds (by others) and have always wanted to learn to do this on my own. I am finally at a point where I have the space and desire to set up a lathe and take some courses this summer in basic machining and rem 700 barreling. Looking forward to the journey.

Doc

Good luck on your venture. Itís very satisfying doing your own work and seeing the result.

Quote Originally Posted by TX COWDOC View Post
    ...desire to set up a lathe and take some courses this summer in basic machining and rem 700 barreling. Looking forward to the journey.

Doc
    Which courses are you considering?

Hello,
    Iím a long-time lurker and decided to register so I can get some feedback. I am a shooter / hunter and have had varied experiences with custom rifle builds (by others) and have always wanted to learn to do this on my own. I am finally at a point where I have the space and desire to set up a lathe and take some courses this summer in basic machining and rem 700 barreling. Looking forward to the journey.

Doc
    Bravo

Take the courses mainly to learn safety.....learn to Respect The Iron...... the iron simply don't know you're there!

It will hurt you.

So learn to think safe,

Buy a Grizzly G4003G and have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
    Which courses are you considering?
    Iíve signed up to take courses at recognized NRA programs in Tishomingo OK as well as Troy NC based upon my availabilities. Basic lathe / mill and Rem 700 barreling.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Bravo

Take the courses mainly to learn safety.....learn to Respect The Iron...... the iron simply don't know you're there!

It will hurt you.

So learn to think safe,

Buy a Grizzly G4003G and have at it.
    So far in my search / exploration this is the model that I am thinking about. For my beginner work, this seems to make the most sense. Does Grizzly have a big sale at a certain time of year on these?

So far in my search / exploration this is the model that I am thinking about. For my beginner work, this seems to make the most sense. Does Grizzly have a big sale at a certain time of year on these?
    I don't know. I bought mine from the owner, from him asking on this forum "would there be interest" and I'm one of the one's who said "me" ..... So I got one off the first boatload. I will say this, the pricing has remained AMAZINGLY low over the ensuing years.

These machines are literally a small fraction (less than 10%) of the cost of a similar machine in 1980 and are better.

I don't know how else to say it..... they're DIRT cheap, you can pay for the mo'chine by threading for suppressors and muzzle brakes on the side in a year.... They're "new antiques", useful only to hobbyists and prototypers (I'm an '07FFL)

The one "problem" is that unlike an old South Bend Heavy Ten, a machine to which this one is sometimes compared, the SB H10 is BELT driven and can be set up to be stopped by meat and bone. Handy for a learning machine.

The Grizzly cannot be stopped.

I nearly lost a thumb/hand/life in mine by doing something stupid. My genes saved me, I got my hand back and $4000.00 later I'm nearly whole.

Would I do it over? Knowing I'd get my appendage wrapped up in it???

unequivocally YES.

I put some DRO's on mine.

I also spent 2700.00 on an antique Bridgeport mill and DRO'd it

I use the machines a lot, the Grizz so much I've considered a 2nd as backup

And most-bestest.....between the two lumps I CAN BUILD ANYTHING!!!! Or at least I feel like it.

And more/most importantly it's FUN.... as I go floundering off into my dotage I'm having the most FUN ever.....

One thing I'd do differently is I'd also buy the mill as a Grizzly/Swamp Fox new item instead of the old BP

Good luck. Donít feel like you need courses, etc. if you know how to run a lathe, it isnít hard to build a nice rifle. Lots of techniques that are the ďbestĒ, but top rifles are built in many different ways (thru the headstock, between centers, etc). Donít forget the ignore button on our website

" Donít forget the ignore button on our website "

Mram10 should be at the top of your list, he refuses to take advice from some of the best. If he has to ask questions on how to do it himself he surely can't be of any help to yourself.

As many will attest to on this Site, I am a Machinist, and I feel like anyone with a fair amount of mechanical ability and common sense can learn to do barrel work.

The best piece of advice I can give you while not actually teaching you in person is to NOT just learn HOW to do things, but also learn WHY you do things a certain way.

In general terms I call this ďbasic machine shop practiceĒ.

When you learn WHY things are done a certain way, that opens the door to all possibilities.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 01-29-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    As many will attest to on this Site, I am a Machinist, and I feel like anyone with a fair amount of mechanical ability and common sense can learn to do barrel work.

The best piece of advice I can give you while not actually teaching you in person is to NOT just learn HOW to do things, but also learn WHY you do things a certain way.

When you learn WHY things are done a certain way, that opens the door to all possibilities.
    Some of the best advice I've seen. Too many people do things the way the internet told them to do it, without ever taking the time to see if it actually made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post

No truer words have been spoken. Peel the layers of the onion away and understand the subtleties of the craft.

You will have to look a long way to find better advice than given by Dave Tooley and Jackie Schmidt.

Jackie's advice has helped me over the years.