Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7br?

History of the 7BR:
    • "The cartridge was developed for the Unlimited Class in the sport of Metallic silhouette shooting.";
    • "As a hunting cartridge it is adequate for smaller deer species and ranges under 150 yd (140 m).";
    • "Later it was introduced in the Remington Model XB-40 single-shot bolt-action rifle, which was specifically designed for the benchrest shooting community."

Sounds like a fun cartridge! If you build one, enjoy it - it can be used for a lot of activities.

Making Brass
    "At one time Remington produced ammunition and cases for this cartridge. They continued to supply the 7mm BR Remington case though to the early 1990s. Today the cartridge is considered obsolete and no one produces loaded ammunition and Remington no longer manufactures firearms chambered for this cartridge."

Okay, new or lightly used brass might be hard to find. However, making brass from 6mm BR is possible. From various websearches, the following should be considered:
    • Necking Up: Depending on whose advice you follow, brass can be necked up in a one or two step process. Some believe necking up in two stages stresses the brass less than a one stage process;
    • Neck Turning: Probably required, as a donut forms when the top of the 6mm case becomes the bottom of the 7BR neck;
    • Annealing: Some feel it may be necessary, due to stress from the necking up process.

Historical note: 6mm and 7mm BR cases apparently work better using small primer cases. The thin walled, small primer, Remington made .308 Winchester cases were originally produced for this purpose,

NOTE: All of the quotes are directly from the information presented in the Wikipedia page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm_BR_Remington.

Hope this helps. FYI, I do not own a 7mm BR.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa Yam View Post
    History of the 7BR:
    • "The cartridge was developed for the Unlimited Class in the sport of Metallic silhouette shooting.";
    • "As a hunting cartridge it is adequate for smaller deer species and ranges under 150 yd (140 m).";
    • "Later it was introduced in the Remington Model XB-40 single-shot bolt-action rifle, which was specifically designed for the benchrest shooting community."

Sounds like a fun cartridge! If you build one, enjoy it - it can be used for a lot of activities.

Making Brass
    "At one time Remington produced ammunition and cases for this cartridge. They continued to supply the 7mm BR Remington case though to the early 1990s. Today the cartridge is considered obsolete and no one produces loaded ammunition and Remington no longer manufactures firearms chambered for this cartridge."

Okay, new or lightly used brass might be hard to find. However, making brass from 6mm BR is possible. From various websearches, the following should be considered:
    • Necking Up: Depending on whose advice you follow, brass can be necked up in a one or two step process. Some believe necking up in two stages stresses the brass less than a one stage process;
    • Neck Turning: Probably required, as a donut forms when the top of the 6mm case becomes the bottom of the 7BR neck;
    • Annealing: Some feel it may be necessary, due to stress from the necking up process.

Historical note: 6mm and 7mm BR cases apparently work better using small primer cases. The thin walled, small primer, Remington made .308 Winchester cases were originally produced for this purpose,

NOTE: All of the quotes are directly from the information presented in the Wikipedia page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm_BR_Remington.

Hope this helps. FYI, I do not own a 7mm BR.
    Thanks. Wiki can be helpful. I was mainly looking for peopleís experience with the cartridge, but again, good knowledge to have

what twist barrel do you have? I used 16/17 for the short br bullets I think they were about .890 in length .

Cool Check this now

30 yrs ago i made 100 gr 7mm put on 264 short case on sierra jackets shot in 0nes consistly a shooter from pa jim johnson shot score i also made 163 gr for off hand shillotte on 250 savage case terific

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    what twist barrel do you have? I used 16/17 for the short br bullets I think they were about .890 in length .
    I'll wager it's a ten..... dude ain't never HEARD a' no "16/17"

well I guess they don't exist here's an 18 twist kreiger blank . what twist would you use for a .875 long 85/ 100 gr. bullet I have maybe 5-6 16/18 twist from just about as many Co.'s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 t 1.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	414.3 KB 
ID:	23258  

Amen, George.

Don't get me started on the .338 twisted 1:21.......

Good shootin'. -Al

well I guess they don't exist here's an 18 twist kreiger blank . what twist would you use for a .875 long 85/ 100 gr. bullet I have maybe 5-6 16/18 twist from just about as many Co.'s
    So funny....

I had Art Cocchia out at Time making me up some barrels around 1994-'95... he had the action in hand and was doing some .243AIs, 22BRs and PPCs and I got this wild hair to make up a "Hunter Gun" to shoot Randy's new bullets so I called Krieger and had them send him a .308 in 18" twist. I called him a couple weeks later to let him know what I had in mind and that I'd found a reamer and he goes "So that's YOUR barrel??!!!"

"I just about sent it back!!!"

"What the HELL is THAT thing for?"

I would use it the same way you would..... IF I could get bullets.....and IF I couldn't get 6's or 7.62's.......

I think 7's are silly

wouldn't keep me from trying one but right now???? Current bullets???

meh....

life is short

As I said in post #2 I make them myself , well because I can and it really doesn't cost me anything but time. it was an experiment to see if it would help at 200 with wind drift as compared to the 30 br and help with dia. compared to the 6... I remember being at a match at 200 talking with Randy about where he was holding at 200 on that day with his 30 br, he said in the red to hit the 10 ring, I was holding between the 9 and 10 ring. that's a huge difference.... another one is 90 gr 30 cals on 850 jackets with 22 and 24 twist barrels and even way more velocity but thats a different topic....
    Last edited by geo.ulrich; 01-23-2020 at 07:56 PM.

My barrels are pretty fast, so Iíll have to get something different. That is the next question after deciding on cartridge(s)

I also have a brand new 7br reamer and was planning on a light model Seven with a mountain rifle bbl contour. Make a lightweight deer rifle and shoot 120gr or so for a light recoil deer rifle.

You're missing out on the 7 x 33 Sako.

I have 2 cases of Remington U6MMBR brass if anybody is looking.

LOTS of good info here - just no high quality short 7mm jackets!
    George, what did you use to cut-off that disk - trying to get my head around that jagged edge ?!!?
    The LONG/HEAVY 7mm are shootin' GREAT - thank you for the dies! RG

P.S. Somewhere, in the pile of stuff, I have a 7mmBR reamer . . . gotta dig it out . . .
    Last edited by R.G. Robinett; 01-26-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    LOTS of good info here - just no high quality short 7mm jackets!
    George, what did you use to cut-off that disk - trying to get my head around that jagged edge ?!!?
    The LONG/HEAVY 7mm are shootin' GREAT - thank you for the dies! RG

P.S. Somewhere, in the pile of stuff, I have a 7mmBR reamer . . . gotta dig it out . . .

Randy, I think the jagged edge is the expanded plastic cover that some barrel makers use to protect the OD. Think of it another way-The pattern for Speedy's beadblasted barrel finish.