Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7br?

7br?

Iíve got a 7br reamer Iíve never used and wonder if itís worth the time over a 6 or 30br? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Iíve got a 7br reamer Iíve never used and wonder if itís worth the time over a 6 or 30br? Thanks
    I suppose the first question would be, ....what are you going to use it for?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I suppose the first question would be, ....what are you going to use it for?
    Playing around at the range and maybe some low level local 200yd comps

7br

Only you can answer this question. Build a 7br and decide whether it satisfies your curiosity.

The guy with the most toys wins.

Glenn

I have played with 7br with bullets in the 85-100 gr area it works great for score especially for 200 it doesn't drift near as much as the 30 br. velocity for a 100gr is 3300 fps. the problem is bullets I made my own but had to pinch jackets and draw them down....

For competition lack of custom bullets is reason enough to stay with 6 or 30.

As others have said...bullets, bullets, bullets! If you can find some really good bullets for your specific discipline, the cartridge should do very well with them. Same with the 6.5BR stuff but I have to admit, I love the 7mm. Just limited in short range due to bullet choices...very limited, if you can get them at all. The 7's do very well when they can stretch their legs with high bc projectiles and the cartridge is a proven winner. Case efficiency only gets better when it's necked up. So it should be even better than a 6 and better ballistics than a 30 cal based on that case. Go for it!

My former gunsmith

used a 7MM HBR rifle for a few years. Made his own bullets and said it shot great. Problem was getting jackets. He gave up but I think he still has the rifle and dies but doubt he's sell them. I've always preferred the 7mm for deer hunting. Had a couple of 284's and 280's, still have a 742-280 but haven't deer hunted in a number of years. Hard to beat either one of those chamberings.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    For competition lack of custom bullets is reason enough to stay with 6 or 30.
    Its not the bullets its jackets we can make great bullets in any caliber. Of course if what you said is true we would still be shooting 22's in 222. or flintlocks

If someone built a great 90 grain FB that had the same accuracy potential as the 112ís we shoot in a 30 BR, then it would be great in VFS. It still gives up a tad in bullet diameter.

Loaded with a Speer 110 TNT, it should make a great rifle to play around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Only you can answer this question. Build a 7br and decide whether it satisfies your curiosity.

The guy with the most toys wins.

Glenn
    Ha. I like that

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    I have played with 7br with bullets in the 85-100 gr area it works great for score especially for 200 it doesn't drift near as much as the 30 br. velocity for a 100gr is 3300 fps. the problem is bullets I made my own but had to pinch jackets and draw them down....
    Noted. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    As others have said...bullets, bullets, bullets! If you can find some really good bullets for your specific discipline, the cartridge should do very well with them. Same with the 6.5BR stuff but I have to admit, I love the 7mm. Just limited in short range due to bullet choices...very limited, if you can get them at all. The 7's do very well when they can stretch their legs with high bc projectiles and the cartridge is a proven winner. Case efficiency only gets better when it's necked up. So it should be even better than a 6 and better ballistics than a 30 cal based on that case. Go for it!
    Kinda my thoughts with the bullets. I already have a nice 7mm barrel. I have the 6br and 30br reamers too, so Iím trying to avoid building all three. Time is always limited

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    used a 7MM HBR rifle for a few years. Made his own bullets and said it shot great. Problem was getting jackets. He gave up but I think he still has the rifle and dies but doubt he's sell them. I've always preferred the 7mm for deer hunting. Had a couple of 284's and 280's, still have a 742-280 but haven't deer hunted in a number of years. Hard to beat either one of those chamberings.

Pete
    Thanks Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    If someone built a great 90 grain FB that had the same accuracy potential as the 112ís we shoot in a 30 BR, then it would be great in VFS. It still gives up a tad in bullet diameter.

Loaded with a Speer 110 TNT, it should make a great rifle to play around with.
    Copy. Thanks. Iíll decide, build one and let you gents know how it turns out