Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireform barrel idea

Fireform barrel idea

Letís say I want to fireform some 300wsm brass. Has anyone tried using a smaller diameter barrel to fireform larger caliber brass via powder and patch? Obviously no bullets ....

Example: rod stock with a small hole

Try this one

I use enough powder and play dough for bullet and fire out back door or up in the airTO FIRE FORM

Here's what I did to fireform 7 SAUM to 6.5 Sherman Short.

I took an old barrel and, crudely, as seen, duplicated a 12 gauge shell. I then ran the reamer in that 'blank'. I had to play around with headspace and the rim of the 'blank' to get it to close properly. But, once done, it fits in my 12 gauge Partner single shot. I then used COW and Titewad to fireform. It saved all that crap getting into my rifle barrel and action.

No matter how I've FF'd with COW I have to inspect every case with a borescope. There are always a few that have caked COW inside the shoulder.

I've toyed with the idea of two pieces with fine threads so you could adjust headspace in any shotgun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chamber1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	23237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chamber2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	23238  

Quote Originally Posted by parshal View Post

I took an old barrel and, crudely, as seen, duplicated a 12 gauge shell. I then ran the reamer in that 'blank'. I had to play around with headspace and the rim of the 'blank' to get it to close properly. But, once done, it fits in my 12 gauge Partner single shot. I then used COW and Titewad to fireform. It saved all that crap getting into my rifle barrel and action.

No matter how I've FF'd with COW I have to inspect every case with a borescope. There are always a few that have caked COW inside the shoulder.

I've toyed with the idea of two pieces with fine threads so you could adjust headspace in any shotgun.

LOL!!! friggin' GENIUS idea'r Boss!!

I make (made) my adjustable fireform chambers on a TAC338, a 110 bigshank and a Rem 722 but this is absolutimally out-of-the-box and will become my new go-to adjusta-chamber as long as my break-open shottyguns can withstand the pressure....I'm kinda' freaky about absolute uniformity

BTW COW SUX!! I Quit Thee COW Many Yrs Ago, napkin or nothing at all......

You're just using a napkin shoved in the case?

You're just using a napkin shoved in the case?
    nope, well kinda, a TINY massless wad rolled in my fingers... pencil eraser would be huge....only to keep powder from popping out
    Last edited by alinwa; 01-16-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    I use enough powder and play dough for bullet and fire out back door or up in the airTO FIRE FORM
    Bill, I like the play dough idea. Never thought of that.

Now thatís interesting. I was just going to thread it onto a spare action

I've formed a couple hundred cases with it. It's easier than dealing with a rifle bolt and simply less to deal with. There's also less chance of an obstruction in the barrel compared to a rifle. I have a friend of a friend who lost an eye fireforming with a rifle when gasses hit him in the face.

The only 'issue' I had was the ejectors pop the whole thing out each time. I figured if I were doing a lot at one time I'd disable the ejector. The other 'issue' is the case getting stuck in the blank. I just used a flathead screwdriver to pop it out like on a Wilson hand die.

I like the COW because you don't have to point the gun up to keep the powder close to the primer. Or, is that not an issue if you plug just the mouth opening?

My goal for the smaller diameter was to increase pressure for the case so less powder can be used. I still need to try making a hydraulic die one of these days, but this got me thinking.

For my new wildcat it takes 25g trailboss with a 155 in a normal 30 cal barrel. Wanted a tiny hole to use a couple grains and a patch without using an old barrel. Just brainstorming here

I have a lot of shotgun powders. I'm using 4 grains, I think, of Titewad. It's very little.

Gotta admit some of M's questions are a bit interesting. When I first started my competitive cast bullet benchrest shooting. I hunted down one of the very best and I sunk my hooks into him so deep he couldn't take them out and then go run away and hide. Unfortunately some of those on here are not familiar with who those folks are. So they have now missed out on the same opportunity that I had by pissing them off instead of accepting their willingness to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Gotta admit some of M's questions are a bit interesting. When I first started my competitive cast bullet benchrest shooting. I hunted down one of the very best and I sunk my hooks into him so deep he couldn't take them out and then go run away and hide. Unfortunately some of those on here are not familiar with who those folks are. So they have now missed out on the same opportunity that I had by pissing them off instead of accepting their willingness to help.
    Louis, I blocked the guys who have been rude. I wonít waste my time explaining how this all started. If you donít like me, avoid my posts.

Edit, I donít read anything from al, Butch, fb or others that have been rude. Donít care. Donít need them. Donít wish them ill and hope they can look in the mirror and be proud of the things theyíve said.
    Last edited by Mram10; 01-16-2020 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Add

I have a lot of shotgun powders. I'm using 4 grains, I think, of Titewad. It's very little.
    I havenít tried shotgun powders yet. Have you found an advantage over pistol powders?

I donít have any dedicated pistol powders so I just used the fastest I had.