Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rimfire tuners

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    This is like an onion where every few posts we get peeled back new info. What you are looking for is hard enough with a bolt gun....a Built 10/22, you should be thrilled.....threaded barrel, marginal ignition, non BR stock, non match chamber, mediocre trigger, etc., etc., take your pick.
    You shot 800-900 rounds without cleaning?
    I guess we should also inquire, any time a question like this pops up, the default #1 question, what kind of flags, how many ?

It was indoors off of a one piece rest. Guns has a great trigger(about 6oz)and Kidd puts a match chamber in. Probably had 1000 rounds before i went to 100 next time Ill do it at 100 with a Clean rig

In the Smallbore Silhouette world

I have not seen anyone using multiple lots of ammo. Those stinkin Rams @ 107 yards have to have a pretty small grouping to be able to hit them and I've never seen anyone using two or more lots of ammo over the course. What is done is to find scope settings at each of the 4 distances and record them. While one doesn't need Benchrest accuracy, one still needs pretty dern small groups when using a 3 pound trigger, shooting offhand. No tuners allowed, by the way. The point is, good ammo is good ammo. If it shoot good @ 50 it should shoot good @ 100

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    I have not seen anyone using multiple lots of ammo. Those stinkin Rams @ 107 yards have to have a pretty small grouping to be able to hit them and I've never seen anyone using two or more lots of ammo over the course. What is done is to find scope settings at each of the 4 distances and record them. While one doesn't need Benchrest accuracy, one still needs pretty dern small groups when using a 3 pound trigger, shooting offhand. No tuners allowed, by the way. The point is, good ammo is good ammo. If it shoot good @ 50 it should shoot good @ 100

Pete
    I've never had any that wasn't either. 100 yds rimfire at LCRC on 1/25. Take the red eye special up and shoot with us!

I am not a traditional Benchrest shooter. If we had that type of match around here I would though. I shoot benchrest silhouette to 200 meters.

Iíve had tuners before. Not a big fan. I have a tuner on one of my rifles presently. The other day I went through I donít know how many rounds of SK and Wolf and center-x, trying to find that holy grail sweet spot. Never did. The rifle shot the same pretty much no matter where I set it and at either extreme end.

The bottom line: Your rifle either likes what itís being fed or it doesnít. As someone already said. A tuner will not turn a pigís ear into a silk purse. Green tag is garbage. Chrono it and see what you get for SD. That should be all the proof you need. The further out you go, the more important SD becomes. Thatís why you need good consistent Ammo. There are lots of cheap Ammo that will turn in tiny groups at 50 meters that are virtually useless out at two hundred because at that point they are printing like shotgun patterns due to velocity variations among other things.

Get yourself a bit better Ammo. SK and Wolf are a good place to start. Last time I checked they werenít giving green tag away, yet it isnít much better than most of the bulk stuff you can buy on any shelf. Listen to these guys. They know what theyíre talking about. Tuners are basically the last thing you go to for fine tuning after youíve done everything else. Ammo is the primary place to look for increased accuracy if the gun is up to snuff.

My .02 cents FWIW...

Set up at home

Quote Originally Posted by pete wass View Post
    i have not seen anyone using multiple lots of ammo. Those stinkin rams @ 107 yards have to have a pretty small grouping to be able to hit them and i've never seen anyone using two or more lots of ammo over the course. What is done is to find scope settings at each of the 4 distances and record them. While one doesn't need benchrest accuracy, one still needs pretty dern small groups when using a 3 pound trigger, shooting offhand. No tuners allowed, by the way. The point is, good ammo is good ammo. If it shoot good @ 50 it should shoot good @ 100

pete
    set up at my home off hand shillote rimfire at right yds have 100 yd bench my daughter shoots at them with 541 rem with ir 50 gets 18 and sometimes 20

How many of you are segregating rimfire ammo based on rim thickness. That alone will make a difference in round to round accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    How many of you are segregating rimfire ammo based on rim thickness. That alone will make a difference in round to round accuracy.
    If it's 1985. Any good ammo.....it's a complete waste of time. If it's crap ammo, you have slightly less crappy ammo.
    Last edited by tim; 01-24-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Tried that. Sorting ammo is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.