Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silly Puddy

Quote Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
    Be aware that Play Doh is loaded with salt.
    Forbidden Zoners just have the cattle lick off the salt - Al Nyhus has bedded a few winning rifles, which the sheep did not completely ruin . . .RG

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Forbidden Zoners just have the cattle lick off the salt - Al Nyhus has bedded a few winning rifles, which the sheep did not completely ruin . . .RG
    Ohhh yeahh, the old "sheep and cattle wars" .....

You're correct. Like most do (I assume), all the metal gets a good coat of mold release agent including any metal the Play Doh is in contact with. The longest it's in contact with any metal is 24hrs in the stuff I bed. Anyway, many years later no evidence of problems exist.

Good shootin'. -Al
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 01-08-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Yes....those I've done for you have all been Play Doh'd!

Now in a handy travel size!

I've used Play Doh for over 20 years and never had a corrosion problem. The stuff dries out and shrinks so fast that I let it sit for two days then I just hit it with a blast of air and everything pops out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    .......I let it sit for two days then I just hit it with a blast of air and everything pops out.

Now THAT's cool!

Hot Glue!!

I've tried something new to me of late. I just bedded 3 rifles over the last week or ten days using hot glue rather than clay, silly puddy, play dough, etc. All I can say is, I have no idea why I didn't try this years before now. It cleans up easier than anything I've used. Most small pieces in small holes etc, just pop right out or I flick it out of the finished bedding. It trims up pretty well too. I'm yet to see a down side. Surely someone has done this before! I'd love to hear why more people don't use it.

edit to add...For large voids in stocks, I stuff it mostly full of paper towel before squirting in the hot glue.

Also, I'm sure there are some super duper grades of hot glue out there by now. I just used cheapo Dollar Store stuff. The good stuff might actually stick! Probably not the best for this use.
    Last edited by mwezell; 01-19-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    I've tried something new to me of late. I just bedded 3 rifles over the last week or ten days using hot glue rather than clay, silly puddy, play dough, etc. All I can say is, I have no idea why I didn't try this years before now. It cleans up easier than anything I've used. Most small pieces in small holes etc, just pop right out or I flick it out of the finished bedding. It trims up pretty well too. I'm yet to see a down side. Surely someone has done this before! I'd love to hear why more people don't use it.

edit to add...For large voids in stocks, I stuff it mostly full of paper towel before squirting in the hot glue.
    HOlee SCHNEikie that's cool.....(8 yardapes here, we got's gluestix out the everlivin butt tox...)

and FWIW we have mixes that will build-fill a magwell in minnits....

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    HOlee SCHNEikie that's cool.....(8 yardapes here, we got's gluestix out the everlivin butt tox...)

and FWIW we have mixes that will build-fill a magwell in minnits....
    I thought so, too. No idea why I didn't think of this a long time ago. It works great, though!

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post

Also, I'm sure there are some super duper grades of hot glue out there by now. I just used cheapo Dollar Store stuff. The good stuff might actually stick! Probably not the best for this use.
    Ive gotta try that! Great idea