Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Silly Puddy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,687

    Silly Puddy

    So a few years back someone posted to use Silly Putty instead of modeling clay (wretched cleanup) or Playdoh (salty) or any of the other clays for bedding.

    I tried it.


    I LIKED it..... a LOT..... but buying them little red eggs gets old. I finally found "cases" or 24-packs but still.... old...old..old


    Then, this Christmas..... ta-DAHHHH!!! 24 bucks a POUND! https://smile.amazon.com/Crayola-Cla...8024742&sr=8-1

    THIS is friggin awesome....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200101_171530.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	23211

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,687
    Yup, it's that big.

    That's an over-sized BAT 'M' nearly 2" on a side.....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200101_171557.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	23212

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    374
    Glad you like the silly putty. I use plumbers putty but might give it a try

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    So a few years back someone posted to use Silly Putty instead of modeling clay (wretched cleanup) or Playdoh (salty) or any of the other clays for bedding.

    I tried it.


    I LIKED it..... a LOT..... but buying them little red eggs gets old. I finally found "cases" or 24-packs but still.... old...old..old


    Then, this Christmas..... ta-DAHHHH!!! 24 bucks a POUND! https://smile.amazon.com/Crayola-Cla...8024742&sr=8-1

    THIS is friggin awesome....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200101_171530.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	23211
    I think that was the one Mr. Tooley. Since I read his post I have used it and it works fine and cleans so much easier than clay.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mt Pleasant Michigan
    Posts
    419
    Ok Al, how high does a pound of Silly putty bounce?

    Joe

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    785
    duct seal

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,687
    Quote Originally Posted by liljoe View Post
    Ok Al, how high does a pound of Silly putty bounce?

    Joe
    Better than I expected...... about like a red rubber kickball when dropped from the same height, but of course much more massive.

    And this is from a guy who takes his bounce seriously, more seriously than you could possibly imagine. (I recently spent almost 1000.00 on 1965-67 Wham-O's)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Shaw View Post
    I think that was the one Mr. Tooley. Since I read his post I have used it and it works fine and cleans so much easier than clay.
    Did a quickie search...... time flies..... looks like I've been using it for almost 8yrs now

    http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-85228.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,687

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,687
    BTW I just ordered a couple more pounds...... right now there's a deal on Amazon that looks to be 16.00/lb

    (altho I half expect the other shoe to drop once the stuff gets here )

    https://smile.amazon.com/Crayola-Sil...d-games&sr=1-1

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,350
    I'm a fan of Styrofoam - different density for different jobs & it's easy to get out of even blind magazine wells. A quick cleanup here & there with a parallel Dremel burr & she's neat as.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Eastern Australia
    Posts
    172

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    So a few years back someone posted to use Silly Putty instead of modeling clay (wretched cleanup) or Playdoh (salty) or any of the other clays for bedding.

    I tried it.


    I LIKED it..... a LOT..... but buying them little red eggs gets old. I finally found "cases" or 24-packs but still.... old...old..old
    Al.

    Silly Putty is a non-newtonian fluid. https://www.sciencealert.com/physici...wtonian-fluids.

    So it absorbs vibrations and just gets a little warmer.

    Lovely stuff, a blob on a lathe tool reduces chatter so still figuring out how to incorporate some into a tuner.

    * doggie *

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,687
    Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    Al.

    Silly Putty is a non-newtonian fluid. https://www.sciencealert.com/physici...wtonian-fluids.

    So it absorbs vibrations and just gets a little warmer.

    Lovely stuff, a blob on a lathe tool reduces chatter so still figuring out how to incorporate some into a tuner.

    * doggie *

    Buggahh......

    I "knew" it was a non-newtonian fluid but didn't KNOW how to apply that "knowledge"..... (((the really good stuff is always found in the "WHY")))......

    I've got a lathe chatter problem... and a tuner problem. The chatter occurs while boring out long AL tubes for making tuners

    I've got prototype tuners in the process of being made as we speak, I am a 07FFL, this is what I DO.....

    And I've got an idea as to how to apply silly putty to a tuner.

    Looks like break's over, back to the grader.....

    buggahhh......

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,776
    Original Play Doh, here...better than anything. -Al

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, SC
    Posts
    83
    Be aware that Play Doh is loaded with salt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •