Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disposing of Live Primers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    I am sorry to hear that. It should be a lesson to us not to put loaded cartridges on top of a wooden stove.
    How else do you prep 'em for a hot load?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    and that might have been more than just the primer powering that ? as in burning powder
    Of course the powder did initiate but for it to have stuck in her leg the primer had to have ignited first IME

ok al
    test time
    put a primer in a case, no powder
    put a fired primer in a case with bullet and powder
    put both on a stove.
    lets document what happens
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Of course the powder did initiate but for it to have stuck in her leg the primer had to have ignited first IME

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    ok al
    test time
    put a primer in a case, no powder
    put a fired primer in a case with bullet and powder
    put both on a stove.
    lets document what happens
    please do.

I have cooked off many rounds.

Well

a former business client used to keep a loaded factory 30-30 round on his desk. He had a habit of spinning it in his fingers and tapping each end on his desk as it rotated...blowing off excess energy I guess. Well his excess energy wasn't the only thing that blew off...the round did and took his right hand middle and ring fingers off right to the palm. Nothing to fool with.

In regards to the rounds which cooked off on the wood stove.... all the principals are still around, including Karla, the girl that got the primer stuck in her leg. I'll set one of them down next time I see them and ask for the story, but here's the way I "remember" the reconstruction of events. (I've heard it from several of the brothers and sisters)

The guys came in from hunting and one of them took a box of shells out of their pocket and stood them on the edge of the stove... STOOD, as in the box was on it's edge because it was set there "just for a minnit"

It got forgotten.....

I believe the first 3-5 rounds were the culprits. They were setting primer down, in the box, and when one went off it made a lot of smoke and scattered stuff all around. In the confusion one of the adjacent rounds spun over and was setting on the stove, on it's side, WITH a pre-heated primer just ready to pop. As heat leached up into the round, the primer went 'pop' and shot out and into Karla's leg.

And of course MORE smoke and cornfusion....

Regarding the 30-30rd blowing the guys fingers off I have no comment.

For myself, I've tried a lot of stuff...... I grew up in an environment where my parents encouraged L E A R N I N G versus just setting around and gobbling on about it. We/I had no rules except "be safe." We made pipe bombs, we made matchhead bombs, "spoke guns" home-cooked blackpowder and C4 Rocket fuel....we set off blasting caps, rifle and shotgun rounds outside the guns etc etc, basically if we thunk it, we tried it.... Safely...... We STILL DO.... I've got one of them defective "Rock Island Arsenal" guns in 30-06 down in the shop waiting to be blown up... Another friend did some hellacious work trying to blow up Carcano's and Krags using everything from over-sized bullets, undersized bores (7.7 chamber in a 6.5 barrel w/steel jackets) to pistol and shotgun powder

Now my acquaintances??? Not so much. I can state as repeatable fact that if you stuff a loaded 22LR round into a hole in the wooden target backing and shoot it with a BB gun it can come back and hit you with enough force to blind you. Cuz a friend did it. I was not present, but we did test it later.... I have another friend with a hole through his thigh where he got too close to a CO2 cartridge filled with matchheads..... another who nearly lost a hand hammer-packing homemade BP.... another who was setting astraddle a 30gallon garbage bag filling it with oxy-acet..... but other than minor singes from things like out-of-control speed wicks and rockets we, as in when I was present, have never gotten anyone injured.

We learned BY TESTING IT that uncontained rounds are fairly innocuous. My brother-in-law had a 12ga round hangfire and go off right in front of his face as he ejected it from an 870..... as in RIGHT in front of his face....... and he turned to me and said "Ohhh, so THIS is why you require safety glasses when we shoot at your house??"

In the movie 'Hope and Glory' there's a scene where a kid threatens another kid with a loaded round in a vise. Sets the perp in front of the bullet and offers to hit the primer with a hammer and nail. This idea has been around for as long as I've been alive. We tried it many years before that movie came out and knew it was harmless.

We also knew full well that blackpowder doesn't "blow up"..... nor does smokeless powder. That in fact gasoline is more dangerous than gunpowder. We've made fireballs for our shows where you could feel the heat 100ft away.... good fireballs are hard.

Fun stuff

Al, If you did the kinda stuff we did when we were kids you be in jail for plotting to blow something up. Heck, we had dynamite we set off. I cant imagine what they would do to ya now. If you were on a levee board you could walk in and buy dynamite. The good ole days. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    Al, If you did the kinda stuff we did when we were kids you be in jail for plotting to blow something up. Heck, we had dynamite we set off. I cant imagine what they would do to ya now. If you were on a levee board you could walk in and buy dynamite. The good ole days. Doug
    Then you'll like this story, and understand it.

Some good friends of mine took in a teenaged foster child, kid had grown up in the streets, no sense of proportion. They were very careful to keep him from guns, farm machinery etc.... but he was out on the back 80 and pried open the trunk of an old car. He found some drippy icky road flares...... and when he threw the oily yellow stuff on the ground it popped and crackled......

I picked up the story from his foster mom, as how he walked into the house with 3 sticks in his left hand and said "hey watch this Mom!!!" and flicked his crackly nitro drops on the kitchen floor.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    BTW, you can still walk in and buy it over the counter .... from the ATF's standpoint, anyone in good standing can walk in, fill out the paperwork, I forget the name, kinda' like buying a gun with a 4473

The sticking point is STORAGE.... you buy it,

You take it out to the job and USE IT.....

and at the end of day it best be all gone, or you have to show it's in an approved storage facility or you are in violation of federal law.

I happen to feel that this is fair and reasonable.

And you can always buy a little exter and at end of day you set them out at 3-400yds and target practice. Just remember the rule "If you can see it, it can see you"

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    And you can always buy a little exter and at end of day you set them out at 3-400yds and target practice. Just remember the rule "If you can see it, it can see you"
    My father & a bunch of his mates were deer shooting. Come lunch, somebody pulled out a rimfire & set some 12 gauge rounds on a fence at a challenging distance. The guy who just missed the primer wore the scar from it above his left eye forever.

Since we're all having fun with this primer thing and doing some speculating as to how they will go off and what kind of damage they will do, I'll add more of my first hand experience. I am still "wearing" a small rifle primer about 3" above my navel and too deep for the emergency room doctors to feel comfortable removing it. One Saturday afternoon I was in my basement preparing to anneal some 220 Beggs cases with a Giraud Annealer. If you aren't familiar with one, it uses a rack storage above a system that drops a single case onto a slide that rolls a case in front of a gas flame and drops it after a timer set number of seconds. I was adjusting the time and flame setting using some well worn cases that I believed to have all been fired and deprimed. I used one several times, checking with Tempilac for the right temperature. I decided that I had used one case enough and reached in the bag for a new one, placed it in the rack and allowed it to fall onto the moving slide. It completed the cycle in the flame and dropped into the cardboard box I was using to catch the annealed cases. In about 3 seconds there was a loud bang and I felt a blow to my stomach like someone had punched me. I had been sitting on a stool in front of the annealer and was about 12-15" away. I got up and walked over to turn on the light and when I walked back to the stool noticed red spots on the floor. Then I looked down at my denim shirt and saw the blood and the hole. The trip to the emergency room and a scan showed the primer in my stomach about 1/2" deep. I'm not exactly heavy, but like most guys over 70, I do have a layer of fat on my abdomen. The primer did not penetrate all the way, but was deep enough that the doctors thought it best to leave it. Of course, I'm much more careful now when using the annealer. I am proof that a primer set off with heat will penetrate flesh after passing through 1/4" of cardboard to a depth of 1/2" from a distance of 12-15". There was no powder in the case.

Rick

a primer is an EXPLOSIVE
    gun powder is NOT

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Dig a hole in an appropriate place and bury them.
    But NOT when they are in a body part!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As my dear grandmother used to say, "Every grown man is a walking miracle." She was a wise lady.

Quote Originally Posted by bill wynne View Post
    as my dear grandmother used to say, "every grown man is a walking miracle." she was a wise lady.
    lol!